• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pit vs Dark Pit Arrow game

Tycon

Smash Rookie
Can't decide which Pit I prefer more atm where certain match ups heavily favor one side-b over the other (lights with pit and rosa + heavies with Dark pit). F-tilt into jab lock for DP and kill option for pit is also a toss up (F-tilt in neutral isn't that great either way). The general consensus on their differences in a general sense is that DP's Side-B is better and Pits arrows are better.

As far as arrows go, pits gimping power is hard to ignore with major arrow control along with the extra range. However the slightly faster arrows with a bit more damage and knock back seam better for horizontal poking. Versatility wise Pit's arrows are hands down superior, however exactly how much worse or far behind are Dark Pits?

The extra damage reward might not sound like much but a few % add up on multiple arrows and slight tilting of arrows does offer advantage for shield poking and hitting short characters without steering the arrow into the group. You can still full hop arrows with a down curve on tall characters and off stage with little problem. The uncharged range is a bit of a bummer though.

As far as gimping goes, pit's recovery is great so physically edge guarding off the stage or using down-b to gimp feels more reliable.

The arrows don't seem irredeemably worse and Pit's side-B isn't awful as it still has plenty of uses. They are still mostly the same character.

Also if anyone could give any clarification to me on the increased damage on DPs arrows and side-B if they reach the break points in shield stun making them technically slightly safer on shield? (I'm sure the knock back increase does nothing/little against shield)

Tito Maas

Smash Ace
NNID
2OwtBlue
I don't use Dark Pit's arrows as often as I do Pit's for obvious reasons, but I still get use out of them.

You're right about offstage gimping and Pit, however I recently began using Pit's arrows to direct rather than do damage. Offstage, I like to shoot arrows upwards to force an air dodge or trend downwards to more often confirm kills off of aerials.

That's something you can't do with Dark Pit's arrows, as well as the off chance you get a direct gimp from the arrows.

Really just doesn't seem like there's anything you can do with Dark Pit's arrows that you can't do with Pit's. Shield pokes are more theory than anything since Dark Pit's arrows are slow, mostly unidirectional, predictable, and easily powershielded, especially when charged. Damage is negligible because you're naturally going to land a lot more of Pit's arrows than Dark Pit's. And you also aren't making the counterpick based off of arrow knockback.

Dark Pit's biggest strength is his SideB; it's stronger on the ground and safer on hit with its aerial version since opponents ar knocked away instead of up where they can easily punish despite eating the 9%. Really the only time I counterpick Dark Pit now is in Pit dittos, on featherweights (Mewtwo, Jiggs, etc.), and when I have a hard time hitting my opponent with Pit arrows offstage to begin with, but the less I use SideB the less I see a reason to use him anyway.

Last edited:

knepsis

Smash Rookie
Pit's arrows don't shine as a gimping tool, but as a way to force jumps/air doges to put the opponent in an unfavorable position.
Down b is pretty bad, it's got too much lag, so dair, bair or fair tend to be better gimping options, but you will ideally be hitting the opponent below the stage, which is what pit's arrows can be used to set up.
Ftilt can be a pretty important tool in certain mus, like villager a a punish for close range loid/tree, having it kill is preferable, as you don't have that many ways to set up the dpit ftilt lock.
I personally take pit in most mus, you mention heavies being a dp mu, but forcing heavies to air doge can outright kill some of them, and they are usually in a really bad position after an air doge/jump forced by an arrow, so pit can do a lot better in the mu.

Top Bottom