• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pit and Dark Pit matchup

Skitrel

Smash Journeyman
Embarassing (spelling it correctly gives an emote) it is, this matchup gives me the largest amount of trouble of all the cast.

Am I missing something here or does Yoshi genuinely have a bad matchup with him?

Share your strategies.

Last edited:

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
I don't know about you but Yoshi just completely destroys pits recovery. Its possible to just keep on hitting him offstage over and over.(I can go into detail).

While pit has amazing disjoints there just not good enough. There to slow. I think its wise to actually stay below and sideways/diagonal to pit at all time besides off stage. It should be pretty easy to get away from him above but he pretty much cancels out all our downwards moves when hes below.

Pit simply cant kill Yoshi very easily.

Pit is so much better then dark pit in the MU though.

Skitrel

Smash Journeyman
I don't know about you but Yoshi just completely destroys pits recovery. Its possible to just keep on hitting him offstage over and over.(I can go into detail).
Please do. It may be my style as I've mentioned before I favour dair offstage, this may be part of what's causing me problems.

While pit has amazing disjoints there just not good enough. There to slow. I think its wise to actually stay below and sideways/diagonal to pit at all time besides off stage. It should be pretty easy to get away from him above but he pretty much cancels out all our downwards moves when hes below.
I find he punishes landing lag with grab very successfully, and his fair tends to cause me a lot of issues.

Pit simply cant kill Yoshi very easily.
Maybe I'm an idiot, but his dsmash and fsmash seem to get me frequently. It might be something about my spacing, I don't know. Maybe my habits are just more punishable for some reason by him in particular.

That throw into uair combo he has irritates me so much. Are we able to get out of it in any way?

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
Please do. It may be my style as I've mentioned before I favour dair offstage, this may be part of what's causing me problems.

I find he punishes landing lag with grab very successfully, and his fair tends to cause me a lot of issues.

Maybe I'm an idiot, but his dsmash and fsmash seem to get me frequently. It might be something about my spacing, I don't know. Maybe my habits are just more punishable for some reason by him in particular.

That throw into uair combo he has irritates me so much. Are we able to get out of it in any way?
I think with the correct DI you can double jump out of it and take very very few damage. When your at kill percents I would switch stuff up if I were you. Try going into a hit and run type of playstyle and only punish his errors. He really can't keep up with you.

Now for edge guarding... Try to get him to recover low. Eggs when hes jumping back to stage horizontally and maybe some fairs if hes open. Once he is below watch out for the up air. It shouldn't bother you much but if he up Bs jump into nair. Nair is like the most effective situation in this MU. Back air also works but it doesn't always work. Keep in mind its not 100% guaranteed to edge guard a pit. Its just a lot easier.

YoshiYoshi

Smash Apprentice
From my experience, Yoshi has a really, really hard time with Pit's Nair. He can't get in on it to Nair and his Fair and Bair are too slow and short to punish it's endframes.

Add on top of that a speedy, disjointed character with a great grab and Yoshi can be outclassed.

Pit has fast attacks burdened with decent endlag, but Yoshi has a hard time punishing this endlag because he is outranged, and as long as the Pit player is playing correctly, the endlag is irrelevant.

It's never easy to beat a Pit who knows how to use Nair. You have to hope they'll screw up and side-B into your shield at high percents.

Pit is easily edgeguarded and you can easily ledge drop > DJ > Nair to frame 1 his ledge grab, but it probably won't kill until about 150%. This can be repeated several times, but Nair tends to pop Pit up high enough that he is not forced to grab the ledge over and over.

edit - forgot to mention, it's the combination of Pit's Nair and Ftilt that really put the nail in the coffin. It's so hard to approach either with any of Yoshi's move, they cover his angle of approach seamlessly. Any attempts to break the wall can be read and punished.

Last edited:

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
From my experience, Yoshi has a really, really hard time with Pit's Nair. He can't get in on it to Nair and his Fair and Bair are too slow and short to punish it's endframes.

Add on top of that a speedy, disjointed character with a great grab and Yoshi can be outclassed.

Pit has fast attacks burdened with decent endlag, but Yoshi has a hard time punishing this endlag because he is outranged, and as long as the Pit player is playing correctly, the endlag is irrelevant.

It's never easy to beat a Pit who knows how to use Nair. You have to hope they'll screw up and side-B into your shield at high percents.

Pit is easily edgeguarded and you can easily ledge drop > DJ > Nair to frame 1 his ledge grab, but it probably won't kill until about 150%. This can be repeated several times, but Nair tends to pop Pit up high enough that he is not forced to grab the ledge over and over.

edit - forgot to mention, it's the combination of Pit's Nair and Ftilt that really put the nail in the coffin. It's so hard to approach either with any of Yoshi's move, they cover his angle of approach seamlessly. Any attempts to break the wall can be read and punished.
His nair and fair are really easily avoided though.... especially sence hes 43-44th slowest in air and his nair and fair have a FAF of 55 aand 57. I really don't get the problem here.

Also can pit even reach a full hop from yoshi with his full hop fast enough?

Top Bottom