• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Piranha Plant Matchup Thread

LightSwornSphinx

Smash Rookie
I honestly think Puff might be 70/30. How is she supposed to beat us? No seriously how? We literally invalidate her in the air. She has no answer to Ptooie. We can actually edgeguard her. We kill her early and live forever. Her range is even stubbier than ours. Bair kills at 85. Honestly how does she win this at all? How stupid does the Plant have to be to lose?
Also depends on the player, like you you were facing HungryBox or some high tier player, but if we're just talking about your average run of the mill player then yeah its pretty clear then.

$.A.F.

Smash Journeyman
Also depends on the player, like you you were facing HungryBox or some high tier player, but if we're just talking about your average run of the mill player then yeah its pretty clear then.
True, but in Ultimate Hbox isn’t that good. He got clapped by my local villager Laska who while very good, isn’t even PGR 100. The sets on YouTube. Just put in “Laska Hungrybox Pound”

Okay after the patch I feel certain that we beat Olimar now. For one, HE CANNOT SHIELD PTOOIE! This is huge. Due to the shieldpoke mechanics he possesses post patch, Ptooie basically destroys him. Also he’s even easier to gimp now because of his distance nerf. Finally, we can now do two big things: A. Hit with landing up air B. We can punish up smash on shield. I think now we go at least 55/45, possibly better. Thoughts? Quote this post to tell me your thoughts.

D

Deleted member

I don’t get why character threads like these are dead. My view on Piranha Plant vs. Olimar is that I myself am pretty surprised Plant has a lot of tricks that can keep the Pikmin away. Despite what eventhubs (A site that has a lot of wrong matchups/tier placements) says, Plant can Manage the tiny astronaut.

$.A.F.

Smash Journeyman
I don’t get why character threads like these are dead. My view on Piranha Plant vs. Olimar is that I myself am pretty surprised Plant has a lot of tricks that can keep the Pikmin away. Despite what eventhubs (A site that has a lot of wrong matchups/tier placements) says, Plant can Manage the tiny astronaut.
Exactly thank you! Personally what is your opinion on the ratio?

D

Deleted member

Truth be told, this isn't a matchup I've seen all too recently, or very often. Plant feels like the easier side to play due to his zoning tools and kit being easier to manage. On the other hand, Olimar with his Pikmin are really difficult to properly handle, but provide a greater reward when mastered. Plant lives longer and has the surprise matchup elements by his side as well.

Olimar, if he throws his Pikmin in front of the Ptooie won't really go anywhere. Also Ollie feels overreliant on his Pikmin for success and his recovery can shift at times depending on how many Pikmin he used.

On the other side of the coin, Olimar can be pretty dangerous if he closes in on Plant and uses his best tools if Plant isn't careful.

The matchup feels pretty even to me, Plant being the easier side to play with while Olimar has the greater reward effects should he play his cards right.
50/50.

$.A.F.

Smash Journeyman
Personally I’d say PLANT has better tools from playing his cards right. Well placed clouds can neuter Olimar’s neutral to a disgusting degree.

D

Deleted member

So nobody is going to post thoughts on Brood's run as of recently. Wario seems to be a disgusting matchup with his high aerial mobility, trolling aerials and that noxious waft.

$.A.F.

Smash Journeyman
So nobody is going to post thoughts on Brood's run as of recently. Wario seems to be a disgusting matchup with his high aerial mobility, trolling aerials and that noxious waft.
Yes, however we have a lot of anti air moves that beat out his aerials, though yes his aerial mobility can help work around this. Waft is hell but it’s the only time he’ll be on average killing earlier than us. Overall this matchup may be losing but if so I’d say at worst -1

Top Bottom