• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pillar Combos (U-tilt to Plasma Wire)

Daftatt

"float like a puffball, sting like a knee"
NNID
Daftatt
So yeah, I have been doing this a ton recently, and getting away with it even. Against really solid players like Shadic I have been able to run regular 80+ damage pillar combos, occasionally popping them back up with u-air after plasma wire if they are falling too fast. What are the opinions on ZSS pillar combos? How you you get out of them, because I was playing for like 9 hours yesterday and no one could manage to escape them, and we even went to the lab for DI testing but it just didn't help. I'm starting to think this is a legit thing on ZSS.

I'll post some videos of it when I get a chance.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
You can SDI out of utilt, and DIing forward can get you out of uair. I feel like the DI testing cannot have been particularly thorough. Just thinking about it, I'm not sure I could see it being reliable.

Daftatt

NNID
Daftatt
You can SDI out of utilt, and DIing forward can get you out of uair. I feel like the DI testing cannot have been particularly thorough. Just thinking about it, I'm not sure I could see it being reliable.
Maybe next thursday I will post matches of myself doing it. We did DI forward out of up air and I was still able to cover the distance and get them with the plasma wire. Did NOT try the SDI out of utilt though, not sure it would really help though because I usually try and only get them on the last hit of it.

Daftatt

NNID
Daftatt
so apparently you can SDI out of up-tilt if you hit with the earlier frames of it just like ph00tbag said. These are not autocombos, but if their DI is not true, the salt will flow.

Oro?!

Smash Hero
You can also DI out of upB if you hit your opponent with more than just the end portion that pulls down, and they can DI that hit to either side to escape a stationary utilt.

Big characters like DK can consistently SDI utilt if you get a suboptimal spacing of the move.

Oro?!

Smash Hero
The upward hits do not possess enough hitstun to combo unless you are rising with upB along with them, and they likely have to be at a mid-high range % depending on weight/fall speed variants.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
Well I know it's not a true combo. It's just I find a lot of characters can't compete with ZSS's uair in that position so I end up going for it anyway.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
The upward hits do not possess enough hitstun to combo unless you are rising with upB along with them, and they likely have to be at a mid-high range % depending on weight/fall speed variants.
They can, somewhat situationally. I have comboed Falco with an early hit rising Plasma Wire which he DI'd out of into a falling Plasma Wire spike. But it's not really something that can be relied on.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
I said it only works if you are rising with them. Something that is not taken into account for the utilt->upB stuff being discussed.
Well, in my case, it was two separate Plasma Wires, but yeah, I agree with you on this. The middle hits of Plasma Wire aren't good for standing combos. You need to be aiming for the tip if you're not rising.

Legend Vermillion

Spanish Brawl Competitive Player
I was trying to do this Pillar Combo but im not sure how it works at all. I usually use Uthrow -> utilt -> upB -> utilt -> upB -> upB -> upB ...

Anyway, I think Im doing it wrong. Someone can tell me how this works? From what starters can i do the combo? Where should I read the enemy? Thanks in advance!

Vert

Smash Cadet
Any videos of this pillar combo? I'm starting to pick up ZSS as my PM Main, and I'm quite interested in this.

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
There is a guaranteed followup (except for incredible SDI). Normally you will get up-b, otherwise up air. The mentioned case with SDI out -> DI forward can lead into up-smash and SDI out -> DI back to nair

Top Bottom