• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Pikmin and Olimar" was just his Dojo name...

Drclaw411

Smash Lord
I am pretty sure the pissy name of Pikmin and Olimar was just for the Dojo. In the actual game, there is absolutley ZERO reference to the name "Pikmin and Olimar" outside of his chant, and even that's a stretch (it says "Pikmin! Olimar!"). Now, I'm not sure what his Classic/All Star/Boss Fight mode trophies look like, because I havnt dont much of those modes yet, so they might be called Pikmin and Olimar, im not sure.

But everything else (his name on the character select screen, what the announcer calls him, what he's listed as during fights, his name in SSE) is just Olimar.

Why would his name be THE ONLY ONE shortened for these things? I mean they even edited Donkey Kong's name to not say "Donkey" anymore. I'm sure they could fit it if they wanted to.

His name is Olimar, not "Pikmin and Olimar". That was just for Dojo's sake.

Now...if only Pokemon Trainer was listed as Red, and the Ice Climbers were shown as Popo and Nana....

Iraku

Smash Cadet
Meh, who knows why they did it. It is Pikmin & Olimar in the Japanese version, but they couldn't fit the whole name when choosing you character, if I remember correctly. If anything, I think the name in the game should match the name on the site.

How is the chant a stretch? They wouldn't bother saying Pikmin if it was just Olimar originally.

scalpel

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1322-7073-9341
Actually, mate, I like "Pikmin & Olimar" more than just Olimar. I mean, it makes sense. The Pikmin are the star of the show, here. They're the ones doing all of the hard work. I liked how the host says "PIKMIN AND OLIMAR" on the character selection screen in the Japanese version. I suppose it does not appeal to the majority of Americans, though, which is why they changed it to just Olimar. :(

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
I myself am an Olimar man. No Pikmin and Olimar. Actually, that was one of my beefs among a few other things (mainly character designs). I didn't like Pokemon Trainer's and Pikmin and Olimar's name. It irritated me furiously. At least I got Olimar... though having Red would've been nice, too.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Well, ACTUALLY, his name IS Pikmin and Olimar, "Olimar" is just the one and only abbreviation, as the classic mode trophy says Pikmin & Olimar.

Boss Rush doesnt have trophies, and his all-star mode trophy is his final smash, which simply says "End of Day"

So yeah, his name is Pikmin and Olimar, but it's nice to have the abbreviation for Brawls.

Kabuto Mushi

Smash Journeyman
You are Captain Olimar, who fights with Pikmin. That is why the Dojo said it. Without Pikmin, Captain Olimar has like...5 attacks? :laugh:

2, I believe. :p

I personally preferred "Pikmin and Olimar". It's a mouthful, but... Typically, in conversation with random people, "Olimar" is not a well known name. "What game is that from? Mario?" He's not even a popular Brawler... When I say "Ya' know, Pikmin?" (usually with a throwing motion) they actually get it. :laugh:

Top Bottom