• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pika's grab options vs. floaties at mid %

CannaSwiss

Smash Rookie
For example, Pika vs. Peach, Peach at 45% and you get a grab, what is your best option? How do I follow up on a grab vs. floaties around these % for the best result?

Kuralesache

Smash Cadet
I don't think you have any guaranteed options, but there are mixups you can do to catch opponents off guard with any of your 4 throws. upthrow into nair is the best one, probably, but I think peach can nair out of it. you could either upthrow into upair, or if your opponent starts nairing every time, bait the nair and hit her after. another option is downthrow -> dsmash, which actually works pretty well cause it's disjointed enough to catch most things she can throw at you. if she isn't mashing an aerial, you can also just upsmash after dthrow, but that should never work against a player that knows it's coming. with forward throw, you can bank on the fact that she won't tumble when she hits the ground, and do a read on what she'll do. if she aerials, hit her in lag. if she shields, you can regrab. this is jank though. finally, backthrow to edgeguard is always good. pikachu's edgeguarding options against peach are actually decent

I'm kind of making this stuff up, based on what I do vs other floaties though. I don't have that much peach experience and honestly... I don't think I'm ever grabbing her when I do play her. punishing her float seems to be the way to go most of the time, since all of her grounded options **** you up really badly

Phez_

Smash Apprentice
Against peach I like to Dthrow, shield (bait a falling nair), then Usmash OoS to punish.

You can also Fthrow someone offstage and then sh offstage fastfall dair. It doesnt technically combo, but you can still land it on sheik, marth, link, bowser and other characters of that weight. and sometimes peach at certain percents

CannaSwiss

Smash Rookie
you could either upthrow into upair, or if your opponent starts nairing every time, bait the nair and hit her after.
This is essentially what I do every time. Peach also throws out the nair so I wait a second and try to tag her with the first or second hitbox of my uair. What I'm finding is that she just eats the second uair hitbox like nothing until pretty high % even if I'm right on the edge. When she's in the mid % I try to hit her with the first uair hitbox instead of the second and follow up into another uair or a nair but that isn't very reliable once she gets above like 40%.

another option is downthrow -> dsmash, which actually works pretty well cause it's disjointed enough to catch most things she can throw at you.
Interesting, I need to try this. I love Pika's dsmash but vs Peach I don't find myself using it very often.

You can also Fthrow someone offstage and then sh offstage fastfall dair.
I do something similar with a fastfall uair spike if they are at high enough %, haven't messed with dair offstage much unless I'm ending a nair chase combo, I will have to try this out too.

Thanks for the replies guys

Kuralesache

Smash Cadet
if you watch Axe vs m2k at the mvg tournament a month or two ago, Axe does a ton of those offstage dairs. I don't really understand them though, so I haven't applied them at all

Last edited:
Top Bottom