• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pikachu Up-Air Property on Yoshi's Double Jump Armour (or super armour)

RAT!

Smash Rookie
Okay, so through watching Axe play various Yoshi players, and through my own experience against Yoshi's, I've noticed that sometimes Up-Air breaks through Super Armour at ridiculously low percentages and other times doesn't do anything. I spent a little time in the lab and here's what I found out:

Pikachu's Up-air is divided into three different hit boxes (top one can be reversed), and these three hit boxes break Super Armour at different percentages.

1st hitbox breaks Super Armour at 34% not stale, doesn't have added knock back until well over 200%, Yoshi just kind of stops...
2nd hitbox breaks Super Armour at ~150% not stale.
3rd hitbox breaks Super Armour at ~115% not stale.

The second two aren't relevant to the point I'm trying to make. This could be a major tool for edge guarding Yoshi, and it's probably good to know what might happen if you Up-air a Yoshi anywhere. I think it's super valuable to know how to use the 1st hitbox and to remember 34%.

It's easy to go down deep to edge guard with this tactic, as he can't interfere without ruining his recovery, and it's easy to set up from above. Alternatively it could be used to complicate things for Yoshi near the ledge. It's hard to set up horizontally for off stage gimps using this, since Pika would have to be facing the stage. Pika does have an alternative to moon walking that can gain some distance.

Video on how to pull it off here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeuPyWsFdIE

I have yet to really apply this knowledge, maybe this is known and already debunked, but until I can see why I think this is very viable in this match up.

Please let me know what you think about what I have gathered here. Thanks :)

Last edited:

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7
yes that happens because yoshi already has upward momentum and the base knockback for up air is high...or something like that. this can happen with pichu's up air, falco's shine, fox's up air, and other attacks too.

Last edited:

RAT!

Smash Rookie
yes that happens because yoshi already has upward momentum and the base knockback for up air is high...or something like that. this can happen with pichu's up air, falco's shine, fox's up air, and other attacks too.
Do you think it's viable? Axe doesn't really use it from what I can tell.

Dinowulf

Smash Journeyman
Dinowulf Dinowulf remember the reverse tail spike from ledge hop on fd at dgr 2nd (?) game?
yea it was a legit good spike. The one thing i like about the yoshi/pikachu matchup is mainly for pikachu players. While yes yoshi does have his double jump armor and at times the Tail spikes don't do anything but it gives you a extra chance to connect it which translates well against fighting other charecters i.e fox/falco. Think about it you only have to do it once on them, so you don't get as much experience with the tailspike. Yet with yoshi you sometimes have to do it twice. it's like a double exp thing for pikachu....yea i just made a pokemon reference. I'm all for it Go pikachu's!

Top Bottom