• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pikachu Player Guide

Pikachu Player Guide

SuperSwagBros

Smash Apprentice
NNID
xCocho
SuperSwagBros submitted a new guide:

Pikachu Player Guide w/ YouTube Video - Full Guide with 7 Min YouTube Video

INTRO
Hi! My name is Cocho. I wanted to write a little about myself and summarize this guide along with the video.
Before you ask, I'm not a pro but I did want to share what I've learned about Pikachu with you guys.
The video will focus more on setups, uses, combos, techniques, and those type of things. Things that are more general.
The written guide will be more technical, showing damages being dealt, kill percentages, and so on.
For all the kill...

Yokoblue

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0345-0592-4740
Honestly, this is the best guide I've seen for a character.
I would recommand stickying that guide for "Advanced tutorial for Pikachu" in the video thread.
Its quick. it explain everything that is to know and give a good video representation and it state mostly facts. (knockback etc is dependant on weight and its ont told in the video...)

The only thing that it skip is the basics but it kinda give you a how to play.
It gives you all the best options for Pikachu and if you combine them... you get the "how to play".

Super super good for revising if you are doing everything you can with Pikachu as a whole.
Now we need a 2nd video that apply tips for specific matchup (mostly high tier).

OP: If you feel like doing my suggestion, go in character competitive discussion, somebody posted couple of tips specific to a lot of matchup a few pages ago (can't miss it its around 1k-2k words)

Last edited:

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I enjoyed this tutorial. Good job. I would suggest less slow-mo though -- more clips are better than slow motion most of the time, and slow motion often makes people get bored of watching if it goes on too long.

SuperSwagBros

Smash Apprentice
NNID
xCocho
@ Yokoblue Yokoblue Thank You! Since we're planning on making more character guides, what are some of the basics (for or not of pikachu) that you felt like I skipped? I found the match-up discussion that you were talking about, it is pretty important to know how to play a matchup, so we might do that.

@ Overswarm Overswarm Thanks! Good suggestion, will definitely favor more clips over slow-mo on the next video.

Yokoblue

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0345-0592-4740
@ SuperSwagBros SuperSwagBros I think you skipped the general presentation of the move that always bore the **** out of me every pro does. It's a part that explain the moves at the most basic level like... This does that... Its actually good that you skipped that.

The other part that you skipped is gameplan, you didnt really say: Pika is a campy character or rush down character, you just told us what we can do and it was good but if you want to go more noob friendly, you could add that. The thing I liked about your video was the fact that it was a more an advanced video than a typical analysis of character.

Last edited:

SuperSwagBros

Smash Apprentice
NNID
xCocho
@ Yokoblue Yokoblue Yes! Thanks, I know what your talking about lol *cough cough Jtails*
Now that you mentioned it, I do kinda feel like I should add a gameplan. I would keep that short though, cause to pick up a character, the game plan might not be common sense. Someone commented on my video asking for a lucario guide, so just by playing him for a few hours I've learned that he's pretty defensive. I'll just add it to the intro :3

Yokoblue

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0345-0592-4740
@ Yokoblue Yokoblue Yes! Thanks, I know what your talking about lol *cough cough Jtails*
Now that you mentioned it, I do kinda feel like I should add a gameplan. I would keep that short though, cause to pick up a character, the game plan might not be common sense. Someone commented on my video asking for a lucario guide, so just by playing him for a few hours I've learned that he's pretty defensive. I'll just add it to the intro :3
The only problem you'll face is the fact thats its MU dependant. Lets say Yoshi, he's really aggresive in some matchup and defensive in most. PIkachu is almost always aggresive but against yoshi, sheik etc you play more defensive...

Jtails

Smash Lord

I enjoyed your tutorial! It was very well edited and covered like you said a lot of the higher level traits of Pikachu. Something that my guides are lacking, the editing and the coverage of only advanced topics. So I definitely learned a lot more about the intricacies of Pikachu's hitboxes, as well as a different way guides can be made that wouldn't bore higher level players haha.

Awesome job!

SuperSwagBros

Smash Apprentice
NNID
xCocho
I enjoyed your tutorial! It was very well edited and covered like you said a lot of the higher level traits of Pikachu. Something that my guides are lacking, the editing and the coverage of only advanced topics. So I definitely learned a lot more about the intricacies of Pikachu's hitboxes, as well as a different way guides can be made that wouldn't bore higher level players haha.

Awesome job!
Jtails :D Congrats on the high placement at Apex and thank you for the compliment! I've been using pikachu since melee lol but you can pick characters pretty fast.

phili

Smash Apprentice
NNID
phili11
@ SuperSwagBros SuperSwagBros great guide man. I think you skipped some stuff about pikachus upB. maybe some noob stuff like how to go in the same direction twice, or even ways to use it as an approach mix up.

also, i had never thought of using back throw then immediately going for a thunder spike, so I definitely appreciate you putting that in the video. keep up the great work

SuperSwagBros

Smash Apprentice
NNID
xCocho
@ SuperSwagBros SuperSwagBros great guide man. I think you skipped some stuff about pikachus upB. maybe some noob stuff like how to go in the same direction twice, or even ways to use it as an approach mix up.

also, i had never thought of using back throw then immediately going for a thunder spike, so I definitely appreciate you putting that in the video. keep up the great work
Thanks man! I wanted to skip the noobier/obvious things, I forgot to add the quick attack thing but oh well :p

Last edited:

Truls_Rohk

Smash Rookie
Very good guide. I noticed though that you left out the damage stats on up air. Also, Pikachu can do plenty of stuff out of down throw. At very low percents I think you can get up tilts and at most percents you can get pretty much any aerial except dair to rack up some damage. For me, down throw is Pikachu's gateway to racking up percentage.

Kaladin

Stormblessed
NNID
Toobu_me
"This video has been removed as a violation of Youtube's policy against spam, scams, and commercially deceptive content" Huh?

Dr[?}

Smash Cadet
I can't for the life of me short hop dair with pikachu without getting landing lag. How do you guys do this so effectively?

Emuchu

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Emuchu
3DS FC
2320-6462-6471
I can't for the life of me short hop dair with pikachu without getting landing lag. How do you guys do this so effectively?
I wrote a pretty long reply to this one over in the Pika general discussion thread.

smashboards.com/threads/pikachu.324197/page-13#post-18821501

chainmaillekid

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CHAINMAILLEKID
3DS FC
1805-2525-8280
I hold down on the cstick, then do a fast swipe across the jump and attack buttons.

Emuchu

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Emuchu
3DS FC
2320-6462-6471
I hold down on the cstick, then do a fast swipe across the jump and attack buttons.
That's what I usually do, too, but you might want to say "left stick" or "analog stick" to avoid confusing the Gamecube and New 3DS players, who call the right one the "C (Camera) Stick".

Reaper Talk

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Tricky32
3DS FC
0946-2336-1376
I have been looking for a guide like this for a long time thank you!

Top Bottom