• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pikachu Match Up?

Guimartgon

Smash Apprentice
Hi, Mario secondary here! So as of late I've been having issues in the Pikachu match up. I hate playing against pikachu as Greninja and Mario's amazing frame data makes it more bearable. I don't have too many issues getting the grab and racking up damage, my biggest two issues are dealing with Quick Attack auto-cancel shenanigans as well as getting stocks, I feel like I have to wait until they freak out and SHFF some aerial and then Usmash them but the better pikachu players will just try to grab me and mix up grab with pivot grab and Uthrow and Dthrow to mess up my DI and then Thunder me. Does Mario have any reliable set ups vs Pikachu? Can I get any tips to not get messed up by Quick Attack? And also, how often should I be caping Pikachu's projectile? I find myself getting camped in the neutral quite a lot.

Thanks in advance!

Zanarkan

Smash Cadet
NNID
Zanarkan28
Alright you are asking a lot of info so I apologize in advance if this is long and rambley, I'll do my best to be concise with my thoughts. As far as your first problem dealing with quick attack, ESAM recently posted a video about specifically dealing with that move. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ew1iSalGmTQ that is the link to that video. I would also suggest following/subscribing to ESAM being that he is the premiere Pikachu player. TL;DR though the video basically says that lingering hitboxes are the best thing to deal with quick attack. So for Mario, your Nair is your best friend, short hop nair when he is quick attacking you will stuff the quick attack hit box with your nair. However, be sure not to fast fall it, the hit box has to stay out as long as possible. A lot of Mario players get into the habit of short hopping into fast fall nair as an approach and it leads to them being programed to always fast fall when they nair so don't fall into that.

The next problem, in terms of killing your most reliable option is to read them into an up smash. As far as guaranteed kill setups for Mario down throw into fair at the edge is true at certain percents and certain levels of rage depending on the weight of the other character. landing up air into forward air is also guaranteed from like 60-90% and of course this means down throw --> up air --> fair is also guaranteed. Of course reading them into F smash is also a good option but up smash is more reliable because it kills off the top.

As far as using cape on Pikachu's thunder jolts, it depends on how often your opponent uses it. If they are super campy and spam it a lot I wouldn't try to cape it very often I would try to master power shielding it instead because if you approach and power shield it you can often have enough time to get in and punish them. If they are using it sparingly then you could try to cape it more often. I also like to try to challenge their camp with fireballs, if you get good at the timing you can cancel out the thunder jolts and often they will get hit even when you get hit as well which basically means you trade and you don't get punished and it changes their mindset so they know they can't just camp you. This is SUPER effective when you have the lead, never mindlessly approach them when you have the lead they are the ones that have to make something happen. But this is advice for every matchup not just Mario vs. Pikachu

Anyway hope this helps!

Top Bottom