• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pikachu Competitive Discussion/Guide (Updated)

Saviorr

Smash Cadet
This thread is being made to discuss the competitive potential of Pikachu and share all the combos/ set-ups/ tricks/ techniques I’ve discovered from maining Pikachu.
Pikachu is actually considered in the top 3 with Diddy Kong and Sheik according to Zero and Mew2king.

The following is a general outline for the ways I use Pikachu’s moveset. I’d like to see what everyone thinks are the most effective strategies when using Pikachu competitively.

Update: More tech/combos

Fast fall forward air into grab can be very hard to escape. After an opponent is hit by the forward air they will end up in various vulnerable positions depending on which hitbox of the forward air hit last. It should also be mentioned that up tilt and forward tilt are good followups as well if they are out of range of a grab. (I was trying to keep this short but I can add more explanation if anyone's interested)

Forward air is also a great followup out of an up air. The following builds off the above technique and is used as a great combo extender.
After an up air you can use forward air without double jumping to pull the opponent down to the ground. Using the technique above allows you to get a grab or up tilt after the forward air. This means Pikachu can combo an opponent into the air and extend that combo by pulling the opponent back down to the ground to be grabbed.

Because this isn’t normally a true combo it is possible for the opponent to air dodge and have the forward air miss. In most situations it seems hard for the opponent to get a punish if this happens. I’ve also been considering that even if they air dodge the forward air, it’s still possible to get a followup such as an up tilt or grab directly after the air dodge. I’m pretty sure this is a frame trap if you land on a higher platform than from where you initially jumped. I’m not as sure about this but it might be possible for a frame trap if the falling speed of the opponent is right.
Any input as to whether or not this can be used as a frame trap would be appreciated.

The techniques above I discovered on my own but didn’t use nearly as much until I got the feedback from Emuchu and Angiance, so thanks.

Up throw true combos into up air at low percents. At less than 10% up throw is often much easier true combo into up air than down throw is. For some reason I didn't mention this earlier but Thunder can B-reverse which is a great edge guarding tool.

I went to my first tournament recently and everyone I played quickly learned to di after my throws and began to habitually air dodge as well. Knowing someone was likely going to air dodge after an up throw or down throw allowed me read the air dodge and follow up the throws with an aerial or a thunder without having to combo.

Recovery
It's best to use Skull Bash sparingly as a recovery move because it can be easily interrupted. Quick attack is the better recovery move. To avoid being edge guarded it helps to aim the first dash of quick attack down below the stage, then aim the second dash of quick attack at the ledge.

Everything time I mention a true combo with Pikachu I mark it with stars ***.

Thunder(down-b)
Basics: The cloud has a spike hitbox which sends the opponent down to be hit by the extra powerful hitbox that results from the lightning hitting Pikachu’s body. Jumping into a down-b makes Pikachu get hit by the lightning faster.
***Up throw combos into down-b at around 95%-110% if the opponent doesn’t di. At around 130% up throw then jump/double jump combos into down-b (in this situation it’s possible to react to the opponent’s di and still pull off the combo).
***Up smash combos into down-b at around 80% if you react to the opponent’s di.

Neutral B
Neutral B should almost always be performed in the air so Pikachu has a movement option during the ending lag of the attack. Full hopping with a neutral b allows Pikachu to follow the thunder jolt and force the opponent to react to the thunder jolt opening them up for a grab, aerial, or a quick attack.
Neutral B can also B-reverse (press the opposite direction Pikachu is facing right after pressing B in midair).

Quick Attack
If an opponent sees the quick attack startup and is in a position to block, they will block. They will almost always block because quick attack is way faster than most attacks. It is best if Pikachu does not hit an opponent's shield on the second part of the attack because it makes for an easy punish. Instead play mind games by constantly quick attacking safely around them (maybe even get a positional advantage) or just into the ground if they aren’t too close.
Quick attack is a great option for getting in on characters zoning with projectiles. Pikachu can jump over projectiles then quick attack behind the opponent (this avoids any other hitboxes that might be in front of the opponent) and use the second part to actually hit the opponent.
***The second part of quick attack has enough knock back (at around 50%-70% and greater) to true combo into an up air, neutral air, or sometimes an up tilt.

Up Tilt Combos
***Up tilt combos into up tilt, up air, and neutral air fairly easily. Against Fox it’s actually possible true combo 6 up tilts together into 2 up airs resulting in an 8 hit combo dealing a total of 40 damage (not accounting for staleness).

Air Game
Unless the opponent is in the air already the first step into exercising Pikachu’s air game is to get a grab and then either down throw into up air or just up throw depending on percentage.
***Down throw true combos into an up air.
Up air is very fast with very little ending lag and can lead to frame traps. It deals only 5 damage.
***Up air true combos into another up air and sometimes a third Up air (sound familiar?).
Neutral Air is a great combo finisher/ followup attack. Neutral air is a good option because it deals 8 damage and it comes out fast. However it does have some ending lag afterward.
***Up air can true combo into neutral air.
Forward air can be good for spacing as it is fast and has low landing lag.
***Up air also combos into either forward air or back air depending on positioning and percentage.
I pretty much only use back air after an up air if the situation’s right. Oddly side B has no startup time when inputted right after the end of a back air.
Down Air? I’m not sure what to think of down air. It seems good but I just don’t when to use it.

Grab game
Forward throw does the most damage and can sometimes follow it up with a dash attack.
Back throw starts killing the lighter characters at the edge of the stage at around 140%.
Back throw and forward throw are also both useful to get the opponent off the stage.
Down throw and up throw have already been mentioned above.

Kill Power
A commonly percieved weakness of Pikachu would be a lack of kill power. While this is true to some extent Pikachu has more kill power than most people seem to think. Combo setups into down-b are solid kill options. Forward smash and up smash can get kills with a little rage and a hard read. Offstage gimping is where Pikachu makes up for this lack of normal kill power.

Gimping
Pikachu can cover a lot of options off stage. A well timed back air or neutral air offstage can score a kill fairly easily against a lot of characters if they’re recovering low. This kind of off stage gimp potential can cause an opponent to opt to recover high rather than low. If an opponent is recovering high Pikachu can catch them with a down-b.

Defensive Options
Pikachu has a lot of options for interrupting an opponents approach. Camping with neutral b forces the opponent to approach with their shield or approach by jumping.
Using quick attack and neutral B safely to harass your opponent is a great way to make them over commit to something that can be punished.
Running away is a very effective defensive option. Quick attacking safely away from the opponent stops the opponent from gaining a positional advantage.

Last edited:

Emuchu

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Emuchu
3DS FC
2320-6462-6471
Nice writeup, Saviorr. Bair skipping the startup of SideB is news to me, I'll have to look into that. On Dair, I normally use it as an approach against people on the ground. SH (Short-Hop) Dair(1) AC (AutoCancel) works as a bait against people looking to shield grab SH Fair FF (Fast-Fall) or punish the usual SH Dair(2) floor impact. Once you've established you can AC your Dair, you can start to mix in the floor impact from SH Dair(2) and coax your opponent to stop trying to risk a punish and just block. And if THAT works, you can start mixing between SH Fair FF, retreating SH Fair, SH Dair(1) AC into Grab, and SH Dair(2) whenever you decide to fall into your opponent.

By the way, if we're talking about combos, don't forget all the possibilities from SH Fair FF. There's enough hitstun after it to combo into Utilt or go for a Grab, leading into juggles.

Saviorr

Smash Cadet
By the way, if we're talking about combos, don't forget all the possibilities from SH Fair FF. There's enough hitstun after it to combo into Utilt or go for a Grab, leading into juggles.
I did already know about the fair to uptilt combo you're referring to but I have difficulty pulling off a true combo consistently. It seems to mainly work if only the first 2 hits of fair hit the opponent just before Pikachu hits the ground. Going for a grab after a fair seems to be a good option since an opponent is more likely to block rather than dodge.

Do you have any advice for consistently getting a true combo of fair into up tilt?

Angiance

Smash Lord
@ S Saviorr
You're better off just going for the grab, it's far more consistent + you can do more from a grab anyways. The only other thing that'd be great from Landing Fair is during KO percents; Landing Fair > Usmash/SH Nair

Emuchu

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Emuchu
3DS FC
2320-6462-6471
I did already know about the fair to uptilt combo you're referring to but I have difficulty pulling off a true combo consistently. It seems to mainly work if only the first 2 hits of fair hit the opponent just before Pikachu hits the ground. Going for a grab after a fair seems to be a good option since an opponent is more likely to block rather than dodge.

Do you have any advice for consistently getting a true combo of fair into up tilt?
Fair FF to Utilt isn't a true combo in the strictest sense. What it does is pop your opponent a small distance into the air, where they recover very close to the ground. If they jump or press buttons, they'll simply get intercepted by your preemptive Utilt, and if they airdodge, the airdodge gets auto-cancelled into landing frames, and they get hit anyway. Training mode won't register this as a true combo, but it works in practice. Fair FF into Grab works most of the time because the timing to jump out is strict, and they have to guess how many hits you're going to land. Fair FF, Dsmash and Fair FF, Dtilt work, too.

Last edited:

Saviorr

Smash Cadet
Fair FF to Utilt isn't a true combo in the strictest sense. What it does is pop your opponent a small distance into the air, where they recover very close to the ground. If they jump or press buttons, they'll simply get intercepted by your preemptive Utilt, and if they airdodge, the airdodge gets auto-cancelled into landing frames, and they get hit anyway. Training mode won't register this as a true combo, but it works anyway. Fair FF into Grab works most of the time because the timing to jump out is strict, and they have to guess how many hits you're going to land. Fair FF, Dsmash and Fair FF, Dtilt work, too.
It is quite difficult to time correctly but it is possible for training mode to register fair to up tilt as a true combo. What makes it so difficult is that even if you time fair perfectly you still have to be ready to input up tilt as soon as possible. Knowing the exact right time to input up tilt can be confusing due to the hit lag from fair.

Angiance

Smash Lord
@ S Saviorr
Which is why you should just opt for Landing Fair > Grab, because it's waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more consistent, and as I said earlier you can do more from a gran than a Utilt

Last edited:

Saviorr

Smash Cadet
@ S Saviorr
Which is why you should just opt for Landing Fair > Grab, because it's waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more consistent, and as I said earlier you can do more from a gran than a Utilt
I agree that a landing fair to grab is way more consistent but strongly disagree that you can do more from a grab than an up tilt. It is very easy to combo an up tilt into another up tilt, a neutral air, or an up air. Only at certain percentages is Pikachu able start anything from a grab.

Angiance

Smash Lord
You're kidding me, right?...

From Grab you've got 4 throws, each with great potential -regardless- of percent

Fthrow: an amazing throw, that ESAM uses a ton. It sets up very nicely for pressure and tech chases

Uthrow: great because it can go into Cloud, something Utilt can't do so well

Bthrow: an absolutely amazing throw, that sets the opponent up offstage the majority of the time

Dthrow: somewhat overrated, but sets up for true comboes while also being capable of going into Cloud -if- you catch the opponent with incorrect DI

JobVanDam

Smash Rookie
One thing I just did recently is footstool -> nair. It looked like a combo based on how fast it all came out. I tested it on a CPU opponent in Training and it seems to work but I don't have a human partner to further test it with.

I then tested it on a few characters:
Works on - Mario, Rosaluma, DK, G&W, Toon Link, Marth, Ness
Doesn't work - Link, Jigglypuff, Pikachu

Weird that it doesn't work on Link but it works on Toon Link.
Just something small, thought I'd let you guys know so maybe you guys can use it for something.

Saviorr

Smash Cadet
You're kidding me, right?...

From Grab you've got 4 throws, each with great potential -regardless- of percent

Fthrow: an amazing throw, that ESAM uses a ton. It sets up very nicely for pressure and tech chases

Uthrow: great because it can go into Cloud, something Utilt can't do so well
I've been using Pikachu's grab more often and with how buffed shield is in this game, grab is definitely a good option. I probably underrated Pikachu's grab game earlier.
Up throw has proved useful at low percents being able to combo into an Up air. It seems like an opponent can di out of a down throw to Up air at percents below 15% but not out of an Up throw to Up air.

What do you think of Pikachu's Up throw to thunder combo? It seems like if the percentage is right (120%-140%), I can always get a true combo in training as long as I'm fast enough and correctly guess the di. Do you think the opponent is able to di in such a way to guarantee that the combo does NOT connect?

Angiance

Smash Lord
@ S Saviorr
Of course, that's why you gotta be quick to catch'em DIing incorrectly

I believe there are other methods for comboing into the Cloud, it isn't just Uthrow

Yokoblue

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0345-0592-4740
Ways to send into Thunder cloud:
Up Throw at 90-120 with bad DI (depending on weight)
Down Throw: 120-150 with bad DI (depending on weight)
Up Smash around 80-120 (depending on weight)
Double jump up air FF thunder

Saviorr

Smash Cadet
Ignore this reply: I accidentally quoted my whole post in a reply while trying to update it.

Last edited:

Passion

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mankazi
3DS FC
0619-6457-2346
I'm having big trouble setting up for kills, I end up getting opponents to almost 200%... >_<; Any setups for finishing with a F-smash? I fear using it cause it's so slow, and I can't catch people on the ledge unless they're space animals doing phantom.

Emuchu

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Emuchu
3DS FC
2320-6462-6471
I'm having big trouble setting up for kills, I end up getting opponents to almost 200%... >_<; Any setups for finishing with a F-smash? I fear using it cause it's so slow, and I can't catch people on the ledge unless they're space animals doing phantom.
Getting straight kills with Pika is often a challenge, I agree. When I'm going for the kill, I find Usmash faster and more reliable than trying to land a non-punish Fsmash. Here are the various things I attempt when going for a kill at 150%+ percent, but keep in mind that, as is usual with Pika, none of these are guaranteed to work.

• Fair FF > Usmash : Likely not a true combo, but catches a lot of things at a high enough percent.
  • Dtilt > jab lock > Fsmash: Dtilt offers good chase options either way, but sometimes people will miss the tech at 130%+, so you can land a big kill.
  • Grab Release > Fsmash: A grab release drops your opponent right at the ball of Fsmash. A lot of players don't prepare for grab release shenanigans and will buffer DI, air dodge, or a good aerial, and will press jab or something only to get thwomped.
  • Grab Release at the ledge > Run-off Bair / Jump and Nair : Good sometimes as an unexpected twist when people expect the usual Fthrow into edge-guarding situation, and you can fish for whether they'll recover high or low. Nair will net a kill at the ledge at around 180% or so.
  • Uthrow > Jump > Thunder : This works so seldomly that trying it once or twice in a set can catch people... sometimes.
Remember, if none of these options work, you're Pika, so you can just start Throwing or Dtilting them off stage and place them in ever-more perilous edge situations where you try and intercept their recovery with FF Jump Thunder (cloud for high recoveries, Pika-boom for low), Nair, or Fair--thanks to Quick Attack, Pika usually doesn't have to worry about recovering back to the stage if he loses an exchange, so long as you don't get yourself spiked out there. If it gets really bad, you can even resort to racking up damage to 200%+ so you can kill them with Nair--just don't ever get to the point where you start fishing for Fsmash and getting punished for being predictable with a Pikachu.

Legato

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LLegato
Dash attack can kill impressively early as well. I saw ESAM take a stock from diddy when he was at 140%. Diddy is med weight so I'd say dash attack is pretty viable (they were at the edge of the stage). If you hit that 150% limbo with pika, I would probably just fish for a dash attack, amongst the other very nice options provided above.

mercy

Smash Apprentice
Dash attack can kill impressively early as well. I saw ESAM take a stock from diddy when he was at 140%. Diddy is med weight so I'd say dash attack is pretty viable (they were at the edge of the stage). If you hit that 150% limbo with pika, I would probably just fish for a dash attack, amongst the other very nice options provided above.
I would suggest NEVER fishing for a dash attack unless, that is, you prefer getting hit by charged-Usmashes from opponents with rage.

Legato

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LLegato
In what world does someone get hit by a charged usmash? Especially with pikachu? You'd have to be way too predictable for that to happen as one can react more than enough to most usmashes and punish with the dash attack.

mercy

Smash Apprentice
In what world does someone get hit by a charged usmash? Especially with pikachu? You'd have to be way too predictable for that to happen as one can react more than enough to most usmashes and punish with the dash attack.
I don't think you understand. When facing good opponents (this is key), they will notice you are fishing for a dash attack and shield your attempt to do so. Dash attack has massive end lag leaving you open, once shielded, to get punished by the most damaging attack an opponent has.

JayWon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JAYW1N
3DS FC
3754-8914-3121
This guy said it best. These are very decent and viable setups! Though these aren't guaranteed, because Pikachu just has so many options off of FF Fair and Grabs, your opponent does not have the luxury to be confident against Pikachu.

Getting straight kills with Pika is often a challenge, I agree. When I'm going for the kill, I find Usmash faster and more reliable than trying to land a non-punish Fsmash. Here are the various things I attempt when going for a kill at 150%+ percent, but keep in mind that, as is usual with Pika, none of these are guaranteed to work.

• Fair FF > Usmash : Likely not a true combo, but catches a lot of things at a high enough percent.
  • Dtilt > jab lock > Fsmash: Dtilt offers good chase options either way, but sometimes people will miss the tech at 130%+, so you can land a big kill.
  • Grab Release > Fsmash: A grab release drops your opponent right at the ball of Fsmash. A lot of players don't prepare for grab release shenanigans and will buffer DI, air dodge, or a good aerial, and will press jab or something only to get thwomped.
  • Grab Release at the ledge > Run-off Bair / Jump and Nair : Good sometimes as an unexpected twist when people expect the usual Fthrow into edge-guarding situation, and you can fish for whether they'll recover high or low. Nair will net a kill at the ledge at around 180% or so.
  • Uthrow > Jump > Thunder : This works so seldomly that trying it once or twice in a set can catch people... sometimes.
Remember, if none of these options work, you're Pika, so you can just start Throwing or Dtilting them off stage and place them in ever-more perilous edge situations where you try and intercept their recovery with FF Jump Thunder (cloud for high recoveries, Pika-boom for low), Nair, or Fair--thanks to Quick Attack, Pika usually doesn't have to worry about recovering back to the stage if he loses an exchange, so long as you don't get yourself spiked out there. If it gets really bad, you can even resort to racking up damage to 200%+ so you can kill them with Nair--just don't ever get to the point where you start fishing for Fsmash and getting punished for being predictable with a Pikachu.
But besides that well... for on thing Up-throw with a little rage can kill @ 175%.

and there's just so many creative ways to edgeguard with Pikachu!

If you have been already dominating in the neutral the whole match and the opponent is around kill percentage, don't just aggressively throw smash attacks out there and whiff and get punished and build up your own damage while you're clearly trying to end his stock. Just be patient, maintain pressure/aggression and keep overwhelming them in the neutral with safe moves until there's an opening. Forward/Up Smash is definitely more than fast enough to be used in that opening.

Legato

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LLegato
@ M mercy Once more, then it wasn't done correctly. An opponent should not know you are fishing for it, and Pikachu has enough options that it won't be apparent. I also said to mix it with other kill options, which is what ESAM does anyways. In competitive play this is definitely viable, I won't argue this any further.

mercy

Smash Apprentice
Once again, I do not think you understand. Fishing implies that you are actively seeking an opportunity to use it. Whether you want to be discreet or not, against better competition this act is painfully obvious.

However, if it has been working for you, continue to do so. With that said, saying "ESAM does it" does not justify it since ESAM does many things that ordinary Pikachus cannot.

Passion

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mankazi
3DS FC
0619-6457-2346
A good roll-read will allow a kill with UpSmash. As for your take on DashAttack kills: I personally killed rarely with it and it was mostly by accident. I use DashAttack for that inital combo from ForwardThrow but never whip it out again. But I suppose like anything with a good read, you can kill with DashAttack. But it's not an option I'd advocate since the ending lag is enough to get punished. I've missed a couple read UpSmashes but I've been lucky that they clanked against punishes and gotten away, but a read DashAttack is death.

Last edited:
Top Bottom