• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pikachu Backward Tail Spike?

atara

Smash Cadet
If there's a cute visual mnemonic for this one I'd love to know as much as anyone, because reverse tailspike is stronger than forward tailspike, which means that it's Pikachu's strongest horizontal kill move, and thus... pretty good.

The first thing to remember is that up-air has four hitboxes which go in this order (Pikachu is facing right):

2 3
1 4

Hitbox #2 is reverse tailspike. Easy way to remember is that the top hitboxes hit away from Pikachu and downwards, the bottom hitboxes hit towards Pikachu and upwards. Often when I'm aiming for #2 I'll hit with #1, knocking my opponent straight up, and it's because I pressed the button too late. But if you press the button too early it's a whiff, as Axe demonstrates here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eipt1gDolbE#t=0m46s

In fact if he had hit that tailspike it could have evened up the game; instead he took 50 damage and nearly lost a stock for it. In other words, RTS is haaaaard, even for really good players. So my approach is: just keep practicing, and try to hit it over and over again.

FakeSnakeJake

Smash Rookie
So reverse tailspiking is basically the same as a normal one except you get a reverse hit off of it. (Think of falcon's reverse knee). There's a video that Pikachad explains how the move works, but to shorten it, each of the hit boxes have a two frame window, 3-4 is when they get sent straight up, 5-6 is the spike hitbox and is when the tail is straight up in the air, and 7-8 is the backwards hitbox, which is the one that sends them up and towards you. Essentially, just go for a regular tailspike, but face the opposite direction.
https://youtu.be/vEGJKphlc3U

Top Bottom