• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

pika help? (esp with short hop)

Status
Not open for further replies.

VAromani

Smash Cadet
hi! im new to SSBM, and i was wondering if any of you know any tips about how to use pikachu's moveset appropriately and especially with short hopping. :) Should i try to short hop with other characters first and then try with pikachu? ive heard that short hopping with pikachu is hard. :/ i also would like some help figuring out which attacks would be most useful when ledgehopping. if any of you could help out it would be really nice :) thanx!

Anther

Smash Champion
Shorthopping. I remember how stressful it was to shorthop anything when first learning it. Though it's harder to learn to short-hop with pikachu, I'd say keep on trying to learn it wit him, especially if you're going to play as the chu a lot. Just make sure you're pulling off at least a few shorthops when you want to a match. Consistency will come with practice. Personally, I found it easier to short hop if I did a neutral air right after jumping for some reason... It doesn't sound very logical, but trying to get from the jump button to A quickly is a good motivator in my opinion...

Yep...

Watch Pikachu vids on Youtube for general Pika strategy ideas though.

Anther

Smash Champion
All the Pika's in the Top Pika List topic are a good start for vids. Since we all have pretty different styles for tackling different matchups anyway =0.

PsychopathicEmus

Smash Journeyman
hmm...seeing as this thread's already called pika help, hope you dont mind my posting my own problems here. i play a guy quite regularly who's relatively good with fox and falco. and i've noticed that a BIG part of his play is the shine. falco..he does the shine and goes up and dairs me (pillaring i think it's called..?), and fox...he just does a lot of shining me to rack up damage and just has to do an up throw --> uair or a smash and i'm dead. so now i'm wondering: how does one get around the shine? i dont see it screwing anybody else over(granted, i've been force-fed 'shined blind' by another one of my friends...). i've tried shielding to grabbing, but i've become predictable with that =(. thanks in advance.

PsychopathicEmus

Smash Journeyman
huh? why not? and shield grabbing is the only thing i know how to do out of shield...can't do up smash yet..and quick attack's a little too laggy in a situation like that. i also hear that rolling is a no-no..

Teebs

Smash Champion
NNID
Teebs-kun
i remember learning to just slide my finger across the Y-Button quickly to get short hop, but it does take a little bit of practice.

D. Disciple

Smash Master
huh? why not? and shield grabbing is the only thing i know how to do out of shield...can't do up smash yet..and quick attack's a little too laggy in a situation like that. i also hear that rolling is a no-no..
Shield grabbing a Fox and Falco is never a good thing. Shine hits right away and you will never grab them unless they forget to L-cancel the dair or any aerial period. I'll give advice later I'm going to class right now while typing this.

Incronaut

Smash Ace
Hey, I was wondering, I was watching some pikachu combo videos, and i see the pikachu quick attacking to the end the stage from the middle, and somehow grabbing the ledge. how does that work??

Anther

Smash Champion
My focus Pika vs Fox/Falco is outranging them with u-air cause it leads to everything else T_T... They're trying to shine, I'm trying to up-air...

Incronaut-
The Quick attack edgehog or QuickHog ... or Q-higgle for shorts... Is relatively simple. Just have to get used to the timing, the positioning, and TEH FEAR. anyways x.x...

First just practice sweetspotting the ledge from a downward diagnal angle while off stage. Basically you have to get pikachu to go in that direction, and then let go of the stick before he gets to the ledge. The reason for that is, if you're holding down in any way, you'll slip past the ledge. Doing it from the stage is just adding on to that. Good luck D=.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom