• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Picking up yoshi

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'm considering picking up yoshi as yet another secondary. I'm concerned about the following characters: Kirby(mostly), MK, Diddy, and Rob. George's Kirby is too good. How does Yoshi fair against them? good or bad matchups? And one more thing-Is yoshi really bottom tier? Or is that crap. where would you place them? thanks for your time.

Scarlet Jile

Smash Lord
NNID
ScarletJile
Yoshi is low tier. I think he's got too many tricks up his sleeve to be bottom, and winning with Yoshi is not impossible if you are amazing.

Check out the official match-up thread for discussions on how he does against other characters.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
I looked for info on Diddy already in the matchup thread and couldn't find any. I stopped at page 11. I'm looking for specific info on the matchup so I can analyze the material to see whether or not it's worth picking up yoshi to CP against him. It's basically the same with Kirby. I saw Gonzo v Chozen in the video thread, but Gonzo hadn't ever played a good yoshi (if any) until that match. I saw Rob was a harder matchup, which doesn't surprise me, and I saw MK listed as 6:4 MK, but I'm still skeptical.

Mmac

Smash Lord
Yoshi I believe is about the upper part of Low, or at the most the bottom of Mid.

Against Kirby, MK, and Diddy, they fair pretty even, but against ROB, it's a uphill battle, so I don't advise using Yoshi against him.

Yoshi isn't the easiest character to play with, so I advise practising first. Also I like to note that Quick Pivot Grabbing plays a huge factor in the MetaKnight fight.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
ok thanks. I learn very quickly though. I post some vids for critique-age about 3 or so weeks from now.

Fingerp@ss

Smash Cadet
For Kirby I would suggest setting up an attack/combo by hitting him with an egg toss first. It works well especially well against Kirbys that love to bair across the board. By tossing an egg when Kirby is going for an air attack (at close - medium range) you will either hit Kirby or force Kirby to air dodge. From there you should be able to dash in for an up smash or any attack for that matter. Egg tossing works well for opening widows like that. But again it depends on the person using Kirby as well.

For ROB it'll be tough but try to air dodge lots. Try to keep ROB grounded since Yoshi will be slightly overpowered in the air game. D airs to a neutral air or B airs followed by a tilt may work but watch out for ROB's grab or down smash.

Good luck!

EggZavier

Smash Rookie
I was like 5 when I got ssb64 and used Yoshi because I liked Yoshi's story. And so I mastered Yoshi before I was competitive.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
I decided to pick up yoshi. He's just too fun to use. When I lose, I don't feel sad or angry. I'm happy that I lost for some reason. I'm a freakin dinosaur. It doesn't matter. ^__^

DarkLeviathan89

Smash Lord
I decided to pick up yoshi. He's just too fun to use. When I lose, I don't feel sad or angry. I'm happy that I lost for some reason. I'm a freakin dinosaur. It doesn't matter. ^__^
Welcome to the Yoshi boards, then. :)

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
Once you get used to the fact that you can't always win, you realize that it's not a big deal. Just get a secondary or two to mop up the mess. If you REALLY want to win all the time, stick with Pikman, lol.

Gindler

Smash Champion
Only ones in that list i hate playing are kirby and ROB. Kirby is actually a pretty even matchup but I have to throw my Bair combos out the window since he's sooo short. ROB I don't know what it is but he's just sooo annoying to fight.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
I expect to win win yoshi, though he is very fun to use and combo with. bair>ftilt>uptilt>bair>dtilt is sexy.

Top Bottom