• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Picking a Secondary for Peach

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
Hey all! I've been playing Peach for a while now (yet to actually bring her to tournament though. Soon.) and I also play some Robin. I don't find that the two compliment each other terribly well, or cover bad matchups. Both struggle against Shiek, Zero Suit, Diddy Kong, etc. Basically, I was hoping to start some discussion about picking an appropriate secondary for Peach.

At the moment, I have been working on picking up Zero Suit Samus, as she offers a near inverse playstyle, focusing on rushdown and pressure. This is really just theory crafting, but I find that Zero Suit could make a particularly good secondary for Peach, as could someone like Greninja or Fox. My only real concern is whether or not these characters do well against the likes of Shiek, or at least have an easier time then Peach. Who are your secondaries, or who do you think would make the best secondaries?

Last edited:

RedBeanPorridge

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RedBeanPorridge
3DS FC
3823-8771-4471
I play Jigglypuff as well as peach. They're both pretty similar in that they're both air geared fighters so it's pretty easy to continuously switch between the two of them without needing to adapt to a different playstyle each time. While controlling arguably similarly, they both offer a pretty different playstyle on the battlefield so it's not like you're playing 2 of the same character here. And I feel that jigglypuff may also be useful against sheik players. She isn't a sure fire counter since she can find herself being ko'ed by sheik with ease, but she's great if you learn to use what she has to offer against sheik properly.

Gangsta_inc

Smash Ace
NNID
Combo_Knight
My Personal Secondaries tend to be Shiek/Shulk/WFT

Shiek typically handles most match ups I don't like. Shulk eases some and magnifies others though.

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
I play Jigglypuff as well as peach. They're both pretty similar in that they're both air geared fighters so it's pretty easy to continuously switch between the two of them without needing to adapt to a different playstyle each time. While controlling arguably similarly, they both offer a pretty different playstyle on the battlefield so it's not like you're playing 2 of the same character here. And I feel that jigglypuff may also be useful against sheik players. She isn't a sure fire counter since she can find herself being ko'ed by sheik with ease, but she's great if you learn to use what she has to offer against sheik properly.
I've heard ramblings that Jigglypuff can deal with Sheik and I can kind if see it. Who is your go to character for someone like Rosalina? Since neither Peach nor Jigglypuff like to approach, how do you handle situations in which you have to be the aggressor?

Ladyspiker

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-6235-1432-1920
A lot of the fast characters cover the bad match-ups for Peach I think (which is the reason why Robin isn't a great compliment, being one of the slowest characters running/walking). ZSS is my personal secondary for that reason. She has a lot of fast moves that are extremely hard to punish if implemented correctly. Just don't be one of those people who rely on the paralyzer for, well, everything, and take the time to learn her. I feel like many ZSS players forget about bair as a KO option (it was SO good in Brawl, and still pretty good here).

Fox or Yoshi would be good choices too, I think! I feel like you have a lot of different choices, depending on how much time you want to invest in a secondary.

DrROBschiz

Smash Apprentice
No Secondary for me. Peach has the tools for just about any matchup.

I would argue she is damn near matchup proof when you play her right. She has so many styles and can be switched on the fly with enough practice. I actually have an easier time against faster characters ironically. I whooped the pants off of several Sonics and Foxes in For Glory recently.

And had my ass handed to me by Zelda lol.

Pippu

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BaffDurtum
3DS FC
4468-1508-6788
I used to secondary Wario. I stopped and decided to purely focus Peach. Wario helped a lot with nairs and I found myself being able to figure and when to use nair most effectively after learning Wario.
I would say secondary somebody who can help you with tactics of your main. Giving you a better understanding of their moves and how to use them properly.
I also was learning megaman for a while as a counterpick to Link. His fairs and bairs were helping me space mine when playing Peach. He was also helping me learn to effectively grab as well.

I stopped having a secondary because Peach is such a technical character. There are so many things to learn with her and having another character to focus learning and mastering was dulling my Peach. I will argue that Peach has the most technical aspects in the game and is one of the hardest to learn and master

cree318

Smash Cadet
NNID
cree318
3DS FC
0301-9783-2199
I'm a Villager main who just recently picked up Peach. I'm using her for MUs where zoning is more difficult, like against Sonic or Palutena.

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
Peach is actually my secondary but I've been considering to use her as a main since I'm using her more than mario in singles.

I'd rather use Mario vs much faster characters like Sheik and diddy kong even though he doesn't win... lol. I like to use ROB vs Sonic and Luigi. 2 match ups I don't like too much when I'm Peach.

SilkaN

Smash Cadet
NNID
SilkaN
I usually pick Sheik or GW if my Peach doesn't seem to be winning against a certain opponent.
Sheik has her speed to catch other players off-guard and playing GW is just too much fun in my opinion.

But in general, I'd say you should chose a fast character as a secondary for Peach, since many opponents will not be prepared when you suddenly rush into them instead of using careful approaches with Peach.

MarthFanatique

Smash Journeyman
I stopped having a secondary because Peach is such a technical character. There are so many things to learn with her and having another character to focus learning and mastering was dulling my Peach. I will argue that Peach has the most technical aspects in the game and is one of the hardest to learn and master
I feel as if Peach has been like this since Brawl. She was my exclusive main in Brawl, and selecting a secondary was so difficult because I couldn't balance Peach and another character. As a previous Robin main, I find that he is similar in that regard to Peach--you almost need to play those characters exclusively to fully understand and master them due to such high learning curves and technical demands.

BurgleTurd

Smash Rookie
NNID
BurgleTurd
I've attempted to find a secondary but ultimately I found myself lacking one in the end. Notably, I've tried Dedede but for some reason in the transition over to Wiiu I've found him more easily bodied for some reason. I've also tried Jiggly but she just didn't hold my attention long enough. In the end I agree with Pippu's comment, there's so much to Peach's technical aspects that I don't think I need to find a secondary.

Last edited:
Top Bottom