• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Picking a Main?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoCalLove

Smash Cadet
Hey guys,

I picked up SSBM a few weeks ago and have been playing around with a lot of different characters but have yet to pick a main and stick with him/her. I've finally narrowed it down to around 5 characters and was hoping that you guys could help me figure out a main:

- Pichu
- Peach
- Jigglypuff
- Donkey Kong
- Pikachu

I realize that in the right hands, all of these characters can be good, which is one of the reasons why I'm having so much trouble picking one. I've seen KDJ do some amazing stuff with Pichu (Although he is virtually a God.) along with BUM placing well with DK. So I'm not really worried about one being a bunch better than any other.

But I was hoping that you guys could help me with figuring out their different playing styles and who would be suited for which person best. I really like Jiggly's wall of pain strat and enjoy Pichu/Pikachu's edge guarding skills but am still pretty split. Does anyone have any advice on picking one? Which would you guys choose to main? I kind of have a feeling Peach might be getting the most recommendations since shes up there on the tiers but I'm trying to look past that.

If it matters at all I'm kind of leaning towards Pichu (KDJ inspired me ;)) and away from something like DK just cause I'm to slow with him (Although in the right hands it does seem like he's pretty quick.) it seems like.

Thanks for the help guys.

Adi

Smash Lord
Jeez only a few weeks and you're already employing strats like Wall of Pain lol. Anyways at this point of the game it's really up to you to choose your main don't let other people pick for you, although I advise you that if you're going to choose Pichu to be your main have a high tier backup because some of Pichu's matchups aren't very pretty =P.

Vall3y

Smash Lord
if you want to play competitively, you must pick a competitive char.
that immediately turns off pichu, dk, and pikachu.
puff is a decent main, but she doesnt cut it as much as top tier chars does.
peach too isnt as good as a top tier, but if you dont like any peach should be okay.
since puff and peach kind of share the same match ups against the common chars i wouldnt recommend playing them both. peach, and maybe later some other char to cover for you weak match ups.
dont kid yourself, not even KDJ or Chu can beat anyone with pichu. How many bums did you hear place high with DK?
anyway what im saying is, pick a good char if you wanna win.

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
This is kind of a stretch, but you could just have five mains like I used to...or two mains and a few secondaries.

But if you really want to narrow it down to one character, just keep playing with those five and you'll figure out who you like best. Don't worry about tiers, just choose who you have the most fun playing as. I main Game & Watch, and he's bottom tier lol. He's my favorite character and I have the most fun playing as him.

SoCalLove

Smash Cadet
Jeez only a few weeks and you're already employing strats like Wall of Pain lol..
Yeah, I'm on the forums too much. :laugh:

peach too isnt as good as a top tier, but if you dont like any peach should be okay.
since puff and peach kind of share the same match ups against the common chars i wouldnt recommend playing them both. peach, and maybe later some other char to cover for you weak match ups.
dont kid yourself, not even KDJ or Chu can beat anyone with pichu. How many bums did you hear place high with DK?
Quite frankly, I don't expect to get to high competitive levels of play. Those guys have been playing for years and I doubt I'll ever reach the level of play that there at. Just for friends though, I think if someone mastered any of the characters I listed they could do quite well. One of the best guys in our group main's Yoshi and can stay competitive with him when he plays so I don't think I should limit myself jsut because of tier level.

Thanks for all the advice guys, I guess I'll just play with them all until I find one that I really like most. I'm also looking at Bowser as well but I think he might fall under the same category as DK (Slow, big, etc.).

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
I don't think it's good to just shun the lower-tier characters, but I do see what he means. If you want an easier time winning and competing, just go higher tier. But like I said, don't worry about tiers right now. I tried to start out with higher tiers but I wasn't really having fun so I just chose my favorite character who happened to be bottom tier. With enough practice you can be competitive with any character. I have no problems with G&W at tourneys, but I do have some higher-tier backups for those really pesky opponents. ;)

SoCalLove

Smash Cadet
Alright, thanks.

Could anyone make a quick general and broad list of the different playstyles for the characters I listed? For example, DK is a more defensive character (I'm not actually sure if he is, just using it for the example.) that relies on grabs and well placed smashes.

If not, don't worry about it. I'll play around and find one I like.

BigRick

Smash Master
Montreal, Canada AKA Real City brrrrrrrrapp!
Peach is the easiest character to become mediocre with, but I wouldn't recommend her if you're new to smash, since she's so different and you will probably miss out things that can only be learned through playing other chars.

If it's not for competitive play, then you don't really need a main. Just mess around with everyone and have fun... DK/Pika could be ok

SoCalLove

Smash Cadet
I'm kind of surprised but I think I'm going to try and main either DK or Bowser.

Corigames

Smash Hero
You have no idea what you are talking about.

I just picked someone I was comfortable with and ran with it. I know wobbles. He won an entire tournament with Pichu, don't say characters make or break you. Don't talk about stuff you don't know and mislead others.

irealyhatepozers

Smash Journeyman
This is kind of a stretch, but you could just have five mains like I used to...or two mains and a few secondaries.

But if you really want to narrow it down to one character, just keep playing with those five and you'll figure out who you like best. Don't worry about tiers, just choose who you have the most fun playing as. I main Game & Watch, and he's bottom tier lol. He's my favorite character and I have the most fun playing as him.

yeuh! GW ftw! i'm starting to main him too cuz people know how to play all the high tiers too well. SNAP is my inspiration and has the best GW, yes better than dire if i don't say so myself. he can beat SS!

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
I was hoping that you guys could help me with figuring out their different playing styles and who would be suited for which person best. .
WE can't do that. The only person who knows is you. Play them, find who you like the most. Or just main them all. No reason why you can't have multiple weapons in your armoury.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom