• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pick-up Basketball

Smash Master
In pick-up basketball, the standard procedure is that if you call a foul in the act of shooting and the shot falls in, the basket is automatically null and void. What is the correct protocol for when you get fouled but still think the ball might fall through the hoop?

I play Center, so this happens a lot.

smash inc

Smash Cadet
Not a fan of basketball just wanted a 1st post this.
Football and Baseball is where its at.:confused:

Smash Master
Lol, you never shoot free throws in a pick-up game. That would be boring for everyone else.

Mugquomp

Smash Ace
Well, I know next to nothing about pickup basketball, but judging from my knowledge of pond hockey and street hockey (which are pretty similar to pickup basketball in many regards), there probably is no standard procedure. It would depend upon who you're playing with, and how much of a stickler for the rules everyone is. But it sounds like something that wouldn't be too big of an issue.

Wouldn't the one who did the fouling be the one to call the foul, not the shooter? Or is self-refereeing not as widespread in basketball as in other informal sports? So in that case, it seems like the shot should count. But I'm not familiar with the ins and outs of pickup basketball culture.

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
Lol, you never shoot free throws in a pick-up game. That would be boring for everyone else.
Depends on where you live, and who you play with.

If its outside in a park or something... and its a defensive foul, I'd just give them possession and let them try again. Giving up points for fouls during friendly games makes it go by really fast sometimes.

BrawlBro

Smash Ace
Ya theres no standard procedure it all depends on who your playing..I'll give you an example

When I play with cocky idiots that have to win they say ZOMG doesnt count you called foul...

When I play with cool people the basket is good and they say nice shot.

I think the best advice is to just never call fouls, thats how you really win at pickup basketball because you'll look like a hard*** and then when someone calls a foul on you you can be all "Man thats weak ****"

only speaking from my rec center pick up game experiences lol

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
It all depends on where you play/who you play with. If you make a shot and call foul, sometimes they just give you the points and move on. Sometimes they make you shoot once again like a free throw, where if you make it you get the full points for the Original shot, and if you miss then the original shot is worth nothing. Sometimes they call you a ***** or whiner for calling a foul, and do nothing about it.

Top Bottom