• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pichu matchups discussion. Share your opinions, facts and experiences here.

Coen

BRoomer
BRoomer
This thread is dedicated to the discussion of Pichu's matchups. First of all, we know Pichu doesn't have a matchup that's really in favor of him, but that doesn't stop us from discussing what you CAN do against the cast.

I suppose T0MMY knows the Pichu vs Kirby matchup by heart. And maybe the Pichu vs Fox matchup?

I will write some Pichu matchup evaluations, maybe adding them to my guide as well (some of the current descriptions are pretty outdated). Here's Pichu vs Falco. I've played this match sooooo much at tourneys I could write a lot about it, and I will:

Pichu vs Falco

A dangerous matchup. Watch out for his godly-as-ever shine combos, he's still able to pull them off on you, despite the fact you're so light and hard to combo. His Shine/Dair combos will **** you if you don't watch out; Also, being small doesn't mean you can just duck his laz0rz. It does make it harder for him, but remember Pichu doesn't duck THAT low, especially not compared to i.e. Kirby (huh T!MMY?). Get around the lasers with fast jumps and a lot of fake outs making him whiff his attack, ready to be punished. But that's essentially what it's all about anyway. You've got to anticipate the situation, read your opponent and react properly.

His Dair will outprioritize all of your Aerials except for Up-air, which will trade hits. You decide if it's worth it or not. What I've been doing lately if I see a fullhopped Dair coming is Jump-cancelled Upsmash it, works like a mofo. Your aerials are an important part of your game when fighting Falco, so make sure to hit that Nair, Up-air and Bair.

His F-smash is a pain. It will get you killed around 90% on FD, with proper DI. Shield his F-smash and shieldgrab, or Up-air him out of shield.

Your edgeguarding will make Falco cry. If you manage to work him off the edge, keep him there. Remember, you're Pichu, you can't be lame. F-smash or D-tilt (with proper spacing, the tip of your tail has to hit him) his Firebird and Phantasm, or my personal Fav: F-tilt it, angled up if he's coming from above, angled down if he's coming from below. Predicting where he's gonna charge his Firebird/Phantasm and jumping out with a Nair or Dair works fine too. Hanging on the ledge to ledgehop Bair, Dair or Nair (walljump for flashiness). An occasional Thunderjolt to hit him out of his Firebird/Phantasm sets up for an edgehog or easier edgeguarding.. And as a final option, Thunder. And I don't mean the jump-off-stage-jump-back Thunder, but just a regular Thunder at the edge....no it's not a practical thing to do :p So much options, so much ****.

You can combo Falco with U-tilt, Upair and Up-smash. D-tilt to catch him off-guard during his lasering. Get in the occasional Thunder. Be creative with this stuff.

Grab to -> Upthrow @ low percentage -> can't follow up -> Tech-chase/punish his missed tech
Grab to -> Upthrow @ mid percentage -> Falco doesn't DI -> Falco gets *****.
-> Falco DIs -> hard to follow up, but try Up-tilt.
Grab to -> Upthrow @ high percentage -> Falco's yours to ****. Upsmash/Uptilt/Up-air stuff if he doesn't DI. Follow with an aerial if he does DI.

Grab to -> Downthrow @ any percentage -> Falco DIs or doesn't DI (it doesn't really matter) -> Tech-chase/punish missed tech
Grab to -> F-throw @ any percentages not facing the edge -> No.
Grab to -> F-throw @ any percentage close to the edge facing it -> Throw him off to edgeguard.

Grab to -> B-throw @ any percentage with the possibility of throwing him off the edge -> edgerape him.

That's it for now. Share your experiencs, opinions and facts about matchups you know something about here.

Love Pichu, but don't make him love you.

T0MMY

Smash Master
The characters ! plays other than Kirby would be Fox, Falco, Ice Climbers, Marth, Sheik, and Mr. Game & Watch.

So, I can write up something on those when I can find the time.

All I can say for Kirby is:
Approach with N-air, grab, throw and keep hitting him until you can get that D-air on him with an Air-Guard. If he's going for the edge, position yourself nearby and D-tilt him, then edge hog him (N-air from edge if necessary).
Approach with a F-air when he is floating around, lead that into an U-air and then try to N-air him off the stage.
U-Tilt to Grab at low damage then throw him into aerial attacks.
U-Smash to Thunder for an 80% KO is always good too.

PS: Watch out for Kirbycides against t!mmy (always!)

Delphiki

Smash Champion
All I can say for Kirby is:
Approach with N-air, grab, throw and keep hitting him until you can get that D-air on him with an Air-Guard. If he's going for the edge, position yourself nearby and D-tilt him, then edge hog him (N-air from edge if necessary).
Approach with a F-air when he is floating around, lead that into an U-air and then try to N-air him off the stage.
U-Tilt to Grab at low damage then throw him into aerial attacks.
U-Smash to Thunder for an 80% KO is always good too.

PS: Watch out for Kirbycides against t!mmy (always!)
I'll keep this in mind :laugh:. Say what time did they leave this morning?

T0MMY

Smash Master
We'll have to play some other time, things didn't quite work out. I'm not sure when we'll both be in the Sac area, but probably this summer (unless we get some Smash Aid from Nor Cal'ers).

robyextreme

Smash Ace
T0mmy you need to come up to B.C sometime! WA usually comes here to and sometimes Edmonton so you could play people like FalseFalco,Silentwolf,Sastaphor =o

Pichu for teams :D

T0MMY

Smash Master
It's very unlikely that I can get up to Canada... or more likely I won't be able to get back into the US because I don't have a passport. But if you're ever in WA for a tourney then I'll try to meet you there, because it's not terribly far for me.
You realize Pichu teams = certain failure. ;^D haha

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Since when am I a G&W player? >_>
Must have been that GW crew battle.

I'll throw out some Kirby vs. Pichu matchup info just to make this post relavent and informative.

From the Kirby side of things, I play defensive using many safe attacks such as tilts, mostly keeping to the ground. This serves two purposes: the first being that Pichu damages himself, so the harder you are to hit the more damage he's likely to take. The second is that Kirby is very slow in the air compared to Pichu.

A Pichu player who knows what he's doing against Kirby can jump and intercept pretty much any aerial Kirby tries to land before he can adequetly maneuver himself. This is usually u-air with monster priority, d-air with KO possibility, or n-air which will knock Kirby off the stage or outright kill him at high percents.

Air-guarding is one of Kirby's specialties, but is impractical against Pichu due to his amazing recovery distance and how he moves with his Agility. Instead, Kirby will usually hang from the ledge and go for a b-air if Pichu comes near, or stay on the stage and try to guess where he's going to land or whether or not he's going for the ledge. Charged smashes work well if Pichu lands next to Kirby.

I can't comment much on the Kirbycide aspect of this fight because t0mmy's ability to break out of grabs and Swallow is simply ridiculous. I've seen him survive a Swallowcide all the way at the bottom of FD with Pichu on the same frame he was suppose to Self-Destruct.

This matchup is close to even because Pichu is so light and damages himself (even Kirby doesn't have too hard of a time KOing him), but Pichu ultimately has the upperhand due to speed, landing lag, and stronger attacks.

Jihnsius

Smash Lord
Pichu vs Roy:

I don't play Pichu, but I can tell you what to avoid. Crouch cancel all of his ground attacks, don't want to get launched from his down-tilt. Never hang around on a platform above him, and never get diagonally above him without DIing away. His reverse up+B can kill you on almost any stage at 0% if you're in the air.

You'll have an easy chance for a lot of chaingrabs and tech-chasing with (it looks like) down-throw especially, and to a lesser extent, with up-throw.

Coen

BRoomer
BRoomer
Thanks for sharing you all.

Jihnsius: I think CCing is a bit of a problem; you know how light pichu is?

T0MMY

Smash Master
I might find some time to do a Pichu vs IC matchup. As of right now I'd rather put some time into polishing the 2v2 section in my Pichu guide.

Jihnsius

Smash Lord
Thanks for sharing you all.

Jihnsius: I think CCing is a bit of a problem; you know how light pichu is?
Doesn't matter. Roy's game is all aerial combos. His main setup for that is his down-tilt. If you CC all of his ground based attacks (because he'll probably be doing down-tilt more often than not when he's not in the air), you won't let him get the launcher he desperately needs to combo and/or instant kill you.

robyextreme

Smash Ace
It's very unlikely that I can get up to Canada... or more likely I won't be able to get back into the US because I don't have a passport. But if you're ever in WA for a tourney then I'll try to meet you there, because it's not terribly far for me.
You realize Pichu teams = certain failure. ;^D haha
Yeah I might go to WA over the summer, I know pichu teams are failure but it will be fun. :laugh:

Anyway for fox/falco you would want to u-air to bairs and nairs a lot, you just gotta follow the DI, it racks up early damage, or if you manage a grab at 0% up-smash them, it's a good 24%-28% starting damage.

T0MMY

Smash Master
I will definitely play some Pichu ditto teams with you when you're in WA. I'll make sure to get up there just for that. Yeah... doomed for failure, but it will be fun failure, haha.

Dark Iori was asking about Peach & Samus matchups in the Chainlighting 2 thread. So I'll just post what I said here:

As for the tier list... well, it doesn't matter with Pichu. Every other character in the game has a huge advantage over him. The real matter is dealing with each character individually.
On a personal preference I don't like playing Peaches or Samus or any campy character that takes forever to die.
I've taken on Sastopher's Peach with my Pichu (almost beat him, but I SD'd my last life). And I've sandbagged against Aftermath's Samus a lot. So that's pretty much all the Peach & Samus matchups I've had, and I can honestly say I don't ever want to play those matchups ever. My advice: don't play those matchups, ha!

Top Bottom