• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Perfect Sheilding(Is it really useful on a competitive level)

THEWIIStephen

Smash Rookie
I have seen some perfect sheilding vids from wifiwarsvideo on youtube. They said that perfect shielding can be applied more effectively in brawl than in melee. Have any of you tested it out and is it truly effective on a competitive vid?

here is the link to the vid if you want to check it out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAbMhYmSy6Y

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Blocking an attack and then following up with a grab and throw can easily turn the tide in any situation. Heck, even the level 1s end up doing this at times.

Taymond

Smash Journeyman
*laughs* I love Mario and Sonic Guy.. never disappoints.

Anyway, it is definitely true that perfect shields are considerably easier to perform in Brawl than their Melee counterpart. Perfect shield in Brawl is actually like.. possible to consistently perform, whereas there were very few top-level competitive/professional Melee players who could power shield with any comparable regularity, as far as I know.

That said, recovery after a perfect shield is incredibly short, and will pretty much guarantee you the ability to react long before the opponent can. Any edge is one that should be taken advantage of, and with the increased ease of perfect shielding, I don't think it will be at all surprising if it plays a heavy role in competitive play. With Brawl's shift towards a defensive attitude, it's clear that shielding in general, and shieldgrabbing is going to play a very large part in any competitive Brawling, and the ability to react even faster, with perfect shielding, is not one that will likely be overlooked.

My 2 cents.

eyestrain92

Smash Journeyman
I'm pretty sure this was common sense... but it IS easier to do in Brawl... I don't know if this deserved an entire topic or not.

tenyearwarranty

Smash Apprentice
Perfect shielding = Parry for SF3S

In SF3 and Second impact, parrying was possible but comparable to perfect shielding in Melee. Top players could do it but because it was so hard to do the risks far outweighed the rewards. In 3S the parry system was given a lot more leeway allowing more players to utilize it thus allowing a more aggressive play style to emerge.

To answer OP, yes it will be a staple of competitive play.

Finch

Smash Lord
Since throws in brawl are almost pointless I find myself sheildgrabbing close to never. However, perfect shielding sets you up for a lot of really good options out of shield, like Toon Link's up B, that might otherwise get punished with a regular shield. Basically, brawl's shield is broken.

RedTone

Smash Cadet
I found Perfect Shielding very useful when playing against my cousin's Toon Link
It really cuts the lag between a regular shield and a perfect shield, especially when going through the barrage of projectiles i.e. I Perfect Shield an arrow, Dash Perfect Shield the Boomerang, Dash Perfect Shield the bomb..usually until I'm close enough.. also Toon Link is punishable when he tries to attack while I perfect shield so it's all good D:

Top Bottom