• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Perfect Pivoting and F-tilt = New technique?

DankImpact

Smash Rookie
As a Meta Knight main from back in the 3ds days, I can say that I've explored the ins and outs of the character. He has a great bait and punish game, and can be a real threat if he plays defensively. However, as a guy who's always enjoyed faster paced gameplay, I've been trying to find a way to play the masked knight OFFENSIVELY. This is where perfect pivoting comes in.

So Meta Knight has a weird property which is that his traditional 3-hit jab is on his f-tilt, instead of his neutral attack. By setting the (gamecube) controller's c-stick to attack, it's possible to do this "jab" in front or BEHIND you instantly. Mix this with perfect pivoting and something amazing happens.

After pivoting, simply push the c-stick in the direction of Meta Knight's back, and he'll jab in that direction. This lets you hit opponents nearly twice as far away, with it only taking a couple extra frames b/c of the pivot. It's simple, but it opens up a world of possibilities for the little guy. Using this as a sort of long range 3-hit jab enables Meta Knight to do the one thing he couldn't before, which is pressure shields. B/c of the good FAF of the move, you can jab -> run if they shield, or jab -> jab -> jab if you get the hit.

Haven't seen any guys doing this in tournament, so it's hard to tell if this is already a well known tech or not. I've been using it a lot lately and it seems to be great, but tell me if you guys think it's good or not.

V23

Smash Cadet
NNID
Yvesdev
Don't get me wrong, its amazing and all, but giving up my C-stick for anything for smash attacks feels like putting on a huge handicap.

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
I have known about this but kind of forgot about it. I'll play around with it later today to see if I like it. I don't see myself giving up my C-Stick though haha.

Amadeus9

Smash Ace
NNID
Amadeuswololo
It's not a new technique, we've been talking about it a bit lately. Salena uses it A LOT in tournament to space with ftilt. The gripe I have is losing my smashes on cstick. I've been messing around with it a little but until i can perfect pivot perfectly (heh) it's going to stay as it is.

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Salena is the only one pushing the PP on MK, because it coveres so much ground it may as well be used as a movement option in neutral or a spacing tool for Ftilt and F-smash.

Not a new tech but useful in certain MUs to refine your spacing, Ftilt 3 denies sh aerial approaches.

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
I believe Perfect Pivot is something all Meta Knights need to be practicing until its second nature. We literally need all the movement options we can get to stretch our neutral as far as it can go. And PP is actually really good for us.

EDIT: You don't even need to change your C-Stick to perform the backward sliding Jab. I can do this with the A button. The one advantage I have seen to use Attack-Stick is that you can get much easier sliding PP'ed D-Tilts. Considering its a Frame 3 spacing tool that trips and sets up possible kills at high percents, it's worth looking into. But I'm currently working on just performing all my Perfect Pivotted moves without changing my controls.

@ warionumbah2 warionumbah2 we need to lab the **** out this.

Last edited:

Meta_X

Smash Apprentice
Since I don't usually use the c-stick for ground smash attacks anyways, I would have no problem switching it to Attack... Except for the whole diagonal-equals-jab/nair thing... I know you're supposed to "get used to it", but I honestly hate it. If there was an option to disable that I would have never gone back to Smash cstick (I tried out tiltstick awhile ago with ZSS).

And I'm terrible with perfect pivot anyway :roll:

Top Bottom