• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Perfect pivot tilts or smashes?

TheCandyman

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3866-8591-8094
It completely depends on the character. With characters like Luigi, Mario and Yoshi that have amazing mobile down and up smashes, smashes would obviously be better but say with Fox, Shulk, or Robin where you can a mobile up tilt to cover landings with Shulk/Robin or with Fox better spaces F-Tilts and Up-Tilts. But then someone like ZSS doesn't care either way because faster up-tilts OOS or Anti-Air up smash

But really it just comes down to personal preference. For me, it's awkward to use the C-Stick for tilts especially aerial C-Sticks seem to be back to normal

guedes the brawler

Smash Lord
NNID
Rafabrawl
It completely depends on the character. With characters like Luigi, Mario and Yoshi that have amazing mobile down and up smashes, smashes would obviously be better but say with Fox, Shulk, or Robin where you can a mobile up tilt to cover landings with Shulk/Robin or with Fox better spaces F-Tilts and Up-Tilts. But then someone like ZSS doesn't care either way because faster up-tilts OOS or Anti-Air up smash

But really it just comes down to personal preference. For me, it's awkward to use the C-Stick for tilts especially aerial C-Sticks seem to be back to normal
you... noticed that we are on a character board, bowser jr's, and thus the question is revolving around jr, right?

honestly, i've been owned by this tech, i can't do it, and i dunno what exactly gets a boost and what doesn't, but i'd guess tilts are better than smashes. if push comes to shove jr can grab people, throw then offstage and gimp them, smashes are a bit risky... whereas tilts are much mor eimportant imo.

waldorf2007

Smash Ace
NNID
Waldorf2007
forward tilt and f smash with perfect pivot can make all the difference, that's all I gotta say.

The_ToolBag

Smash Cadet
NNID
mr.kasabii7
Its a real hard decision for sure, I use smash just because I don't want to flub an upsmash or Fsmash, but at the same time, ftilt is so good for spacing/punishing and uptilt for combo starters, so I guess its what you want to utilize more in your game

V1cegrip

Banned via Warnings
My old account was hacked. Thus using this new one
This has been a huge debate for me but I stick with smashes on the c-stick. My justification for that is- Would you rather flub a smash attack in a crucial situation, or would u rather mess up a tilt (and potentially get a kill off of a surprising/unintentional smash attack)? Also I have found that the more I practice tilts the more accurate I am at getting the input I want. It's a tough decision to make really. Also c-stick for arials with smash on is still fine as long as you just tap it.

Glicnak

Smash Apprentice
This has been a huge debate for me but I stick with smashes on the c-stick. My justification for that is- Would you rather flub a smash attack in a crucial situation, or would u rather mess up a tilt (and potentially get a kill off of a surprising/unintentional smash attack)? Also I have found that the more I practice tilts the more accurate I am at getting the input I want. It's a tough decision to make really. Also c-stick for arials with smash on is still fine as long as you just tap it.
I mean... that argument goes two ways.

Would you rather use a tilt when you wanted to smash and just get a decent hit instead of a kill, or would you rather accidentally do a smash when you meant to tilt and potentially get punished for it? And for me, i feel like smashes are the easier/quicker input.

Tl;dr: I don't think there is a best setup, its entirely what you want. It's not like tapjump

V1cegrip

Banned via Warnings
My old account was hacked. Thus using this new one
I mean... that argument goes two ways.

Would you rather use a tilt when you wanted to smash and just get a decent hit instead of a kill, or would you rather accidentally do a smash when you meant to tilt and potentially get punished for it? And for me, i feel like smashes are the easier/quicker input.

Tl;dr: I don't think there is a best setup, its entirely what you want. It's not like tapjump

You are absolutely correct, it can go bad in both situations if you do a misinput. I guess I just find I regret missing kills more than I do getting punished for an unintentional smash attack. They both suck hard though haha. Doing a downsmash instead of a dtilt = ugggg.

Mr Moosebones

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Moosebones
Jr's Perfect Pivot is pretty garbage, regardless. The only usable thing you get out of perfect pivoting that isn't regularly available out of a normal pivot is downsmash. You can still pivot ftilt with the stick set to smash; there isn't really any other use to having the cstick set to tilts.

divade

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Divade011
(I don't perfect pivot much but while we are talking about the C stick)
All Jr's smashes take a fairly long time, due to multiple hits or his down smash. I feel I can save myself from an accidental tilt better then a smash.

ToTs

Smash Artist
NNID
x_ToTs_x
I feel like PP tilts just tend to be better simply because it's a lot easier to PP Smash attacks vs PP tilts.

My C-stick is mapped to attack

Last edited:
Top Bottom