• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Peculiar DAC effects

risemix

Smash Apprentice
The list of characters who are thought to be able to perform a DAC USmash if I'm not mistaken are Falco, Snake, Wolf, Wario, Link, and Sheik (might be another I'm not thinking of right now). However, last night I was messing around in training mode and have found there are other characters capable of performing these as well. I am sure this is common knowledge, but I have a few questions about these.

The difference between these characters, say Yoshi as an example, and the DAC USmashes of Link or Snake, is that rather than causing them to slide forward out of a run, it brings them to a full and complete stop. This is a very different result from the more commonly-used DAC. My question is: is it useful?

Just so I'm clear (I don't know if I was): When performing a DAC as Yoshi, Ganondorf and a few other characters, the character will come to a complete stop before performing the USmash rather than sliding a great distance forward like Snake or Wolf would, or sliding a short distance like they might when simply performing a USmash out of a dash.

I think this would be pretty useful as a "mind game" tactic, but I'm interested in hearing what more seasoned players have to say.

nightSN

Smash Ace
hm. lets see, your falling, you see someone running, they upsmash, and you assume the upsmash will slide.
now if it doesnt slide, what are the advantages then?

Ugg

Smash Champion
Everyone can perform DACUS', some are just more useful than others.
And you might want to put jigglypuff's in your list of one's that slide far.

Wylde

Smash Cadet
If you dont slide much then you might as well do a running upsmash...no point in dacus'ing it...

I swear, every day people get stupid.

Meese

Smash Cadet
dont mistake hyphen smashing for DACUS
yes hyphen smashes are short DACUS's
but DACUS as been accepted as the sliding ones.
by this knowlege yoshis isnt really classified as a DACUS

Exia 00

Smash Champion
You don't cancel a dash attack in a hyphen smash, therefore they are not related.

Back on topic... Its not necessary unless you plan on using it to bait someone into attacking so you can

punish them . Even if that is the case, there are safer methods of doing that so avoid using this method.

Also remember, the distance of the DACUS depends on the momentum of the dash attack.

Notice how Yoshi and Marth slow down during their dash attacks. This is why they don't gain forwards

momentum.

PukeTShirt

Smash Journeyman
You don't cancel a dash attack in a hyphen smash, therefore they are not related.

Back on topic... Its not necessary unless you plan on using it to bait someone into attacking so you can

punish them . Even if that is the case, there are safer methods of doing that so avoid using this method.

Also remember, the distance of the DACUS depends on the momentum of the dash attack.

Notice how Yoshi and Marth slow down during their dash attacks. This is why they don't gain forwards

momentum.
then wouldn't Ganon get a boost out of his? his dash attack moves him faster than his dash...

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
then wouldn't Ganon get a boost out of his? his dash attack moves him faster than his dash...
He slows down at the beginning.
*~*~*~

Umm.... I'm very sad for anyone who just learned what The_Prince just did.
Not that I'm pitying you or calling you noob. Oh wait... maybe it does count as pity.

The point is, it should have been apparent.

Now what I can't tell is which freaking AT reisemix is trying to talk about. Do you mean the Dash link smash, or the Boost Usmash?

risemix, your list of characters suggests you mean Dash link smash, plus the triviality of your finding being for the alternative, but that assumes that you just found something that no one else has - dash link smashes on more characters.
The most likely possibility is that you haven't disambiguated the two in your very treatment of the question.

So... which phenomenon are you talking about? Vids would be really helpful.

Flynch

Smash Cadet
If you dont slide much then you might as well do a running upsmash...no point in dacus'ing it...

I swear, every day people get stupid.
You shouldn't be so rude..

It's actually useful with captain falcon bringing him to a complete stop. Otherwise is slides a great distance. It has allowed me to upsmash falling opponents with them not expecting it to stop.

Might not be the best thing in smash, but can have it's uses. I wouldn't go as far as to call someone stupid for posting this and simply asking for opinions.

risemix

Smash Apprentice
He slows down at the beginning.
*~*~*~

Umm.... I'm very sad for anyone who just learned what The_Prince just did.
Not that I'm pitying you or calling you noob. Oh wait... maybe it does count as pity.

The point is, it should have been apparent.

Now what I can't tell is which freaking AT reisemix is trying to talk about. Do you mean the Dash link smash, or the Boost Usmash?

risemix, your list of characters suggests you mean Dash link smash, plus the triviality of your finding being for the alternative, but that assumes that you just found something that no one else has - dash link smashes on more characters.
The most likely possibility is that you haven't disambiguated the two in your very treatment of the question.

So... which phenomenon are you talking about? Vids would be really helpful.
I can't make a video. I'm talking about the result Dashing, then pressing down-C and holding Up+Z. For Snake, it's a "mortar slide." For Link, it doesn't have a cool name, but it is commonly considered to be one of his more surprising approaches.

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
I can see one possible use for it, though very situational.
For instance I have used G&W's DACUS before to punish a shield.
My dash attacked and my friend shielded it so I canceled into an Usmash to punish his shield because G&W's Usmash eats the hell out of a shield even when completely uncharged.

For most characters it is pretty useless though because there is no benefit from just doing a normal Usmash or a hyphen smash. (Hyphen smash is simply running and hitting Usmash to slide if you don't know)
Like Captain Falcon has a practically useless DACUS but a great hyphen smash so of course he will just use a hyphen smash.

If a dash attack goes wrong you can always cancel into a Usmash and hope for the best but other then that if the character doesn't slide I'm really not seeing the use.

Top Bottom