• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Peach's Down Tilt + A move?

Tha_Crystal_Gemz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
miki-iki
3DS FC
4425-1738-4816
Switch FC
SW-5889-0433-4399
I think it is a really good and powerful move when used at the right time but it is slow and can be blocked easily - well, when I use it anyway....I get punished a lot when I use it - How can I incorporate this move into my gameplay safely?
I find it difficult to use against fast characters or aggressive opponents because of its slow speed. I try to use it immediately after Peach's dair (not too familiar with the smash terminology - the move when she is in the air and kicks her feet down) when I am close to the ground but after the hit connects, I can't link the down tilt + A because the opponent is shielding or grabs me.

Help please. It's the only move I don't use. lol

Last edited:

topspin1617

Smash Apprentice
NNID
topspin1617
3DS FC
0318-7760-0788
I'm no pro so someone else could probably say more, but I get a little more use out of it spacing it a float. Like, float at ground level forward or backward a short distance, land, and immediately dtilt.

I suppose the backward float could be replaced by a perfect pivot and C-Stick set to tilt, but that sounds irritating to pull off... though I've actually been finding perfect pivot isn't quite as hard to use as I once thought.

Dee-SmashinBoss

Smash Ace
The tilt itself is amazing because it is arguably her best combo starter, has like 2 year Hitstun, deals somewhat decent damage, and(not reliably) can KO.
At low percents this move can combo into many things, Nair, grab, fair and more.
I generally(this works on a lot of characters) Dtilt, Nair,Dtilt, Uair and so on.
At mid high percents it can bimbo into fair or(for a more satisfying KO move) UpB.

Now there is one problem with the move in that it actually meteors grounded opponents making them instantly bounce up and punish you during the moves ending lag(even though it's small, but very possibly) They are likely to shield the moment they bounce back up so yea you can get punished.

Can't talk much more, but try to space yourself when using it, it has excellent range and it's not too slow, with som good frame trapping.

Maybe Drk.Pch will see this and explain more.

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
Down tilt is good to catch opponents who try to shield grab you (space it properly) and also great at catching opponents who are landing from the air. It's advantage is it's range, not it's speed, so you don't use it in pressure situations, you use it when you are having a spacing battle.

DrROBschiz

Smash Apprentice
Yeah agreed

Excellent move. Its important to note that hitstun in Smash overall is lower than Melee but slightly higher than Brawl

You do have a window for follow ups but its very tight and the opponent can still DI slightly while stunned so yeah it can be challenging to combo but its totally doable. You just need to be fast and execute.

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
Also remember that 95% of the down someone got down tilted will either air dodge or jump, so if you can't follow up a combo but can predict which of these two they do, you can follow up.

Last edited:

Tha_Crystal_Gemz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
miki-iki
3DS FC
4425-1738-4816
Switch FC
SW-5889-0433-4399
Yeah agreed

Excellent move. Its important to note that hitstun in Smash overall is lower than Melee but slightly higher than Brawl

You do have a window for follow ups but its very tight and the opponent can still DI slightly while stunned so yeah it can be challenging to combo but its totally doable. You just need to be fast and execute.
What is DI?

Tundra

Smash Cadet
NNID
Joyleaf
3DS FC
4012-3240-3546
Directional influence; the control the receiver of an attack has over his or her trajectory. - Smash Wiki

While being launched, the control stick can be aimed in the opposite direction in order to increase your chances of survival, escape a combo or dodge incoming attacks. So if you're launched to the left, simply aim the control stick to the right and you might survive a couple of more hits.

Last edited:

topspin1617

Smash Apprentice
NNID
topspin1617
3DS FC
0318-7760-0788
Directional influence; the control the receiver of an attack has over his or her trajectory. - Smash Wiki

While being launched, the control stick can be aimed in the opposite direction in order to increase your chances of survival, escape a combo or dodge incoming attacks. So if you're launched to the left, simply aim the control stick to the right and you might survive a couple of more hits.
Not quite... DI affects direction, not magnitude, of launch. If you're launched to the side,you'd hold up to try to survive the hit. DIing 180 degrees from the launch direction would do nothing.

Pippu

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BaffDurtum
3DS FC
4468-1508-6788
Not quite... DI affects direction, not magnitude, of launch. If you're launched to the side,you'd hold up to try to survive the hit. DIing 180 degrees from the launch direction would do nothing.
Horizontal DI has changed in smash 4
You never want to hold up in this incarnation of smash. The safest most reliant option when going horizontal is holding towards the stage.
Vertical DI is the same as it's always been.

https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/3417l1/discoveries_on_living_longer_in_smash_4/

topspin1617

Smash Apprentice
NNID
topspin1617
3DS FC
0318-7760-0788
Horizontal DI has changed in smash 4
You never want to hold up in this incarnation of smash. The safest most reliant option when going horizontal is holding towards the stage.
Vertical DI is the same as it's always been.

https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/3417l1/discoveries_on_living_longer_in_smash_4/
Ugh... now I'm more confused than ever.

So basically what that says is we want to DI vertical knockback and Vector horizontal knockback.

I supposed this really isn't the topic for this, but that really makes no sense to me. One would expect one mechanic to explain this, not two completely different mechanics for different launch angles.

I find this weird because... why would it be programmed like that? The only thing I can imagine, unless someone can explain that these ARE the same mechanic, is that they explicitly programmed different mechanics for different angles. But then where is the cut-off? "If your knockback is < 37°, Vector; otherwise DI."

Part of me just wonders if the results are simply due to the fact that Ness' bthrow is quite far from being horizontal, but I assume others have already considered that...

Top Bottom