• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Peach Unlockable?

Smallgenie549

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Smallgenie549
Hey guys, during the Digital Event, I noticed that Peach wasn't on the character select screen. This leads me to believe that she might be unlockable in Smash. What do you guys think? It'd definitely be strange if this is true.

Is this just the demo screen?

Attachments

Last edited:

Smallgenie549

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Smallgenie549
So it's most likely just the demo version they're using today? She, Ike and Diddy Kong aren't available for the tourney either, are they? That probably explains it.

Smallgenie549

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Smallgenie549
She's on the Japanese box art, so it's most likely nothing. Haha, just panicking a little bit. :p

Last edited:

Kendall112

Smash Cadet
If you payed close attention to the first Smash Direct, you could see that Peach's character model wasn't perfected. I even noticed that Rosalina kept vanishing in the invitational. So it was likely a demo character select screen.

Skyle

Smash Rookie
She's probably just not fit for battle yet, she's been undergoing some changes that probably aren't perfected yet or don't want to spoil some that aren't announced yet.

TurnUp

Smash Apprentice
If you payed close attention to the first Smash Direct, you could see that Peach's character model wasn't perfected. I even noticed that Rosalina kept vanishing in the invitational. So it was likely a demo character select screen.
Rosalina's roll is actually a teleport like Mewtwo's air dodge in Melee, thats why she was vanishing.

But on topic, I think they didn't want to reveal her new moves just yet, such as her mysterious rainbow attack and possibly a final smash change? I seriously wouldn't be worried about that though. She's very much starter material and it was probably only done for the demo.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
I would imagine Peach's moveset may still be incomplete (or at least in the playable build). The characters that were playable were essentially completely "finished" and safely playable without breaking anything.

I have heard the builds they let the public play at Best Buy and E3 were an older build than the current one. Which makes sense since a good portion of the roster would be "incomplete" with the game only being two / three months away from release. I assure you, she's still a starter. She just wasn't ready to be playable yet.

Skyle

Smash Rookie
I don't feel like there will be unlockable characters in the fourth game, with Super Smash Four supporting Amiibo and figures being made for each character, there wouldn't be much mystery in having a hidden character, plus, it would be annoying buying a character for the game and have it turn out being the hardest character to unlock or not knowing how to unlock it.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
It could just be that she hasn't been fully balanced during the E3 build. I doubt she'll be an unlockable character. Since the E3 build was an older one, she could be playable in a different one. Though whether or not there's going to be an event where we get our hands on it is a different question.

ihskeyp

Smash Ace
I'm almost sure she's a starter. She's on the wii u box art, and in all the previous games, the characters on the cover are starters.

VioletSmashfan

Smash Ace
NNID
SVPfan89
3DS FC
2964-9317-6440
I don't feel like there will be unlockable characters in the fourth game, with Super Smash Four supporting Amiibo and figures being made for each character, there wouldn't be much mystery in having a hidden character, plus, it would be annoying buying a character for the game and have it turn out being the hardest character to unlock or not knowing how to unlock it.
There still will be unlockable characters in these games, Sonic, Megaman and Pac-man are guaranteed to be unlockables since they're 3rd Party characters, Rosalina has always been unlockable in every spin-off game she appears in, it's just guessing which character is going to be locked and who isn't, just because we have Amiibo figures it won't change the unlockable status in the game for the characters.

TurnUp

Smash Apprentice
Simply this: The character can be played against as but not as.
Since the FP automatically selects the character, it appears in the selection screen for 2P (or whichever isn't taken) and in the match but isn't unlocked for regular players, only the FP can play as that character until the character is unlocked.

I think we won't get unlockable secret characters as Amiibos until a while, there will likely be 'seasons' or 'packs' of Amiibo releases.

NNID
Tofer_Magicant
I wonder if they're going to have another Demo release somewhere and have some of the other characters playable.
Little disappointed that everyone on the Wii-U box was playable except for Peach.

Nintendo Fan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gamer-Robert1498
3DS FC
3050-7577-7020
There's a fun suspense in unlocking characters, but at the same time I'd rather I be able to play as Peach from the start (or any character for that matter). There are most definitely a myriad of reasons as to why she wasn't playable but this doesn't concern me since she is still in the game. She could be unlockable material and I think that that would be a nice change but it really comes down to who is the “best” for being an unlockable character. I thought Rosalina & Luma would be cool to unlock and I think she was just in the demo to try out. There are only five Mario series characters as of now and I just think it's a bad idea to have all of them as starters. I think it's a good idea to start with just Mario or Bowser too. Unlocking the princess would be similar to saving her at the end of a Mario game. Also, Weegee needs to be unlocked considering his Year of Luigi and his personality in general.

Last edited:

R0Y

Smash Master
She's on the Japanese box art, so it's most likely nothing. Haha, just panicking a little bit. :p
Box art design is the same everywhere, though, Japanese will have at least some non-English writing I imagine.

Rosalina is on the 3DS box so that does that really confirm her as a starter?

VioletSmashfan

Smash Ace
NNID
SVPfan89
3DS FC
2964-9317-6440
Box art design is the same everywhere, though, Japanese will have at least some non-English writing I imagine.

Rosalina is on the 3DS box so that does that really confirm her as a starter?
Probably not, since she's been unlockable in just about every Mario game she has been playable in so far (since her debut as a playable character in Mario Kart Wii she's been unlockable and was even unlockable in Super Mario 3D World), and I expect Smash to do the same with her, however it might change between versions (3DS version could have Rosaluma as a starter, while Peach is the unlockable 1, with the Wii U having the opposite, Peach starter-Rosaluma unlockable), this might affect Marth and Ike as well since Ike was a starter in Brawl while Marth was locked, and Marth just happens to appear on the 3DS boxart alongside Rosalina.

Princess Toady

Smash Ace
NNID
PrincessToady
Plus Peach is amongst the starter amiibos... I don't think they'd sell figurines of unlockable characters first thing upon release.

Top Bottom