• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Peach pillar Vs Fox

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
before I get to the topic, I wanna thank Big rick for his last post one my fox learning curve thread. Some reason it helped. I played 2 foxes today. At first..........>____< yea, owned. I could not fight him. his speed and such is just too much of a damm pain. So I thought about the advice. And after that, I was able to go even with Him, and started winning some battles. Only Problem I had was edge guarding. I would not aim right or do it too late and I get hit with his Up-B. But Im working on it. And the others who gave me advice as well. I was kinda camping Fox. But not with Turnips, though there was a lil of that when he was far away. I Back Air and N-air camped, (if that makes any sense) and it helped alot, then I discovered something. Which leads to my topic.

Im sure the Peach pillar goes, Jab, FC-Nair, Jab, FC-Nair, " " " ". If not then correct me

So I did that to Fox, But I used it to get close to him, Most of this air attacks were stopped. And it made it hard for Fox to land a hit on me or grab and shine.I pillared my friends like 2-3 times to a Dsmash, It ate their sheild so Much and it sent him packing. And it reduced Foxes speed in the Match cause if he tried to land a hit on me, the pillar would stop it. I also did it to a few grabs. At times Fox grabbed me. and I wanted to know why. I assume is cause I did not space my N-air so he cut my pillar with a shield grab. And at times he was able to break free. I guess cause I was not close enough or too slow. So here are my questions:

- Some of you know I have a big problem with Fox, beats me in tournies and I say the only charcter in the games that gives me the most trouble. So I was useing her pillar and it seem to cut Foxes speed in half, and made it very hard for him to land a hit on me. So is it really needed to bring fox down? Is it that effective? Even for a person who cant deal with him, that pillar helped alot (along with the other advice of course)

- Does it really make him slow down? and mess up the way an average fox would come up to you?

- If done right, can I break his shield? (though I wont go for it, too risky)

- If I could pillar perfect and have good control. and get better at the fox match up (which I think I did today a lil for I was able to handle the cheapness of him) Can I have the advantage over him? I assume skill levels come into play.

- Does it make it hard for fox to land a hit on you or did I just get lucky? Cause he is too fast

If some of these are noob questions then sorry. But I really wanna understand the pillar use on fox. Cause he is a pain, fast and can combo Peach like nothing. Thanks in advance for those that are able to share some info on this.

peachori

Smash Journeyman
while the pillar is really useful, he's still got a ton of options. most notable of these is uthrow(to uair) which is basically formula for peach ****. he can also shine or jc usmash if you give him the chance. the pillar is a nice technique, but even a frame-perfect nair>slap pillar leaves you vulnerable to grabs. it might take the fox a while to figure out the timing, and you should exploit the fact that the pillar is still somewhat new to the metagame. but realize that you can and most likely WILL get shield-grabbed if you do the same version of it over and over. mixups are important (check the peach pillar thread, xif nicely explained various mixups and such) also to answer your question yes it can break shields, i believe xif broke ckit's shield with it before. but dont count on it haha.

also check out scotu's shield pressure/frame q&a, he has a very nice frame by frame analysis of various pillars including peach's which shows how many frames you're vulnerable for in the frame perfect nair>slap pillar (and i think the nair>nair pillar also)

i think no matter what, its always going to be an uphill battle against fox. you have to be creative, patient, and most importantly punish them for their mistakes. cus you can be ****ed sure they'll punish you for yours.

BigRick

Smash Master
Montreal, Canada AKA Real City brrrrrrrrapp!
I'm glad my advice helped ^_^

anyways, one funny thing when you play agressive Foxes is that they usually start camping more and more if they see that you can deal with their rushdown... that's where the real battle starts IMO

If they keep jumping into your aerials, good for you then, you beat a Fox without thinking too much (your fingers must be hurtin though lolz)

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
while the pillar is really useful, he's still got a ton of options. most notable of these is uthrow(to uair) which is basically formula for peach ****. he can also jc shine out of shield or jc usmash if you give him the chance. the pillar is a nice technique, but even a frame-perfect nair>slap pillar leaves you vulnerable to grabs. it might take the fox a while to figure out the timing, and you should exploit the fact that the pillar is still somewhat new to the metagame. but realize that you can and most likely WILL get shield-grabbed if you do the same version of it over and over. mixups are important (check the peach pillar thread, xif nicely explained various mixups and such) also to answer your question yes it can break shields, i believe xif broke ckit's shield with it before. but dont count on it haha.

also check out scotu's shield pressure/frame q&a, he has a very nice frame by frame analysis of various pillars including peach's which shows how many frames you're vulnerable for in the frame perfect nair>slap pillar (and i think the nair>nair pillar also)

i think no matter what, its always going to be an uphill battle against fox. you have to be creative, patient, and most importantly punish them for their mistakes. cus you can be ****ed sure they'll punish you for yours.

I saw the pillar thread again. I got a better understanding of how to use it. Im gonna give it a shot.

I'm glad my advice helped ^_^

anyways, one funny thing when you play agressive Foxes is that they usually start camping more and more if they see that you can deal with their rushdown... that's where the real battle starts IMO

If they keep jumping into your aerials, good for you then, you beat a Fox without thinking too much (your fingers must be hurtin though lolz)
Oh yea, it hurts alright. I was pilaring from start to finish. Cause I saw it gave fox a problem and made it hard to hit me. So the pillar was like my Barrier.I also pillar with a turnip in my hand. and oh man, the fox was like "what the hell to do" I had a grandpa in my Hand once and I was FCing with it and Shfl N-air, times he but up his reflector and I just N-air him cause he thought I would throw it at him. I was pretty funny. and a sweet mindgame. I went 30 seconds doing it. till I cracked him with it FTW XD!!!!

XIF

Smash Master
ZOMG Duluth, GA mostly... sometimes Weston, FL
fox still owns peach.

if he's an OK player at the very least, give him like a month and he's gonna realize how to get around it. Just throwing out the pillar for the sake of it doesnt really work at all. There's enough openings where spamming wont work. just like how spamming waveshine doesnt work, or spamming marth fair's doesnt work.

The pillar is actually nair double jab and repeat.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
fox still owns peach.

if he's an OK player at the very least, give him like a month and he's gonna realize how to get around it. Just throwing out the pillar for the sake of it doesnt really work at all. There's enough openings where spamming wont work. just like how spamming waveshine doesnt work, or spamming marth fair's doesnt work.

The pillar is actually nair double jab and repeat.
I know that but It did help me, and while he gets better so will I at the match up, where I'll do other things to fight him. I just thought it be a god tool to use on him.....for now I suppose

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
Is there anyway you can record a match of this? I want to see how the Peach pillar works. im still confused about it lol.
I'll pillar one of my friends next time I fight them and get it recorded. I was a lil off with her pillar the way XIF said but times I did it right.

XIF

Smash Master
ZOMG Duluth, GA mostly... sometimes Weston, FL
i got some vids of me from this tournament on saturday and during the finals i got quite a few different variations on the peach pillar versus link and captain falcon. When the videos go up i'll link them and just point out the times when it happens.

Top Bottom