• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Peach Matchup Guides

LysanderBlack

Smash Apprentice
Alright, I'm feeling ambitious again. I am going to try to make a thread dedicated to compiling strategies and techniques that are effective against each Character.

I'm going to Organize it by The Tier list.

Top Tier:
Fox
Falco

High Tier:
Sheik
Marth
Peach

Middle Tier:
Captain Falcon
Ice Climbers
Samus
Doctor Mario
Jigglypuff
Mario
Ganondorf

Low Tier:
Link
Luigi
Donkey Kong
Roy
Young Link
Pikachu

Bottom Tier:
Yoshi
Zelda
Mr. Game and Watch
Ness
Bowser
Kirby
Pichu
Mewtwo

Okay, something you guys may have noticed is that I have removed the stage counterpicking sections. This is because when it comes to stage counterpicks, I have no idea what the hell I am doing. That is all.

LysanderBlack

Smash Apprentice
Fox:

Suggested ground-based attacks:
Jab - Good for stopping grabby foxes in their tracks
Uptilt - can be worked into combos
Ftilt - I wouldn't advise it, as I don't like the amount of Endlag it has, but I have been told it can be worked into combos
Dtilt - Great for working into combos, works as part of edgeguarding strategies, can also nicely setup an opportunity to grab fox.
Upsmash - Great move, Solid finisher, can be hard to implement against Fox
Fsmash - Good for edgeguarding, but if you are going to use it for such, I would advise Fsmashing until you use the pan while he is recovering, then using fsmash as an edgeguard, that way you will hit with either the tennis racket or the golf club
Downsmash - Great move against fox, ***** him when he is crouch cancelling. It works as an effective edgeguard only if they don't know how to walltech.

Suggested Aerial attacks:
Nair - Good finisher, works as effective edgeguard against his SideB
Bair - Decent finisher, works VERY well as an edgeguard.
UpAir - Great move to work into combos.
Dair - Risky to implement against him while he is standing, but good as an edgeguard followed by Nair or Bair, provided you catch his UpB at the end of it’s path, so that you don’t get nailed by it.
Fair - Good finisher, good for mindgames with Floatcancelling.

Turnips:
I don't like to use turnips against him (Because of his DownB), but I've been told its good for both edgeguarding and mindgames.

Counter-strategies;
Dair: Wavedash out of the way, then punish with Down-Smash if you can.
DO NOT LET HIM HIT YOU WITH HIS DAIR OR HIS DOWN-B. IF YOU ALLOW A SKILLED FOX TO HIT YOU WITH EITHER OF THESE MOVES, YOU WILL GET COMBO'D TO DEATH. There are foxes that can combo you to death from 0% if you get hit by these (I've played a few).

While locked in wave-shine, hold the Controlstick down, rapidly tap C-stick down, and hope to a diety of your choice that he messes up. If anyone has a better idea, please share it. If he tries to switch the direction of the wave-shine by jumping to the other side of you to Bair, simply DI away from the fox as he attempts to Bair you. It will just barely get you out of that sticky situation.
If he gets grabby, you can stop his grab by jabbing him as he approaches.
Always DI 90degrees to the trajectory of his two upward finishers (UpAir, and Upsmash)
You can avoid upair by airdodging and sometimes (rarely) Neutral-B, but try to do these in a way that doesn't doom you to get hit by a second attempt, and don’t become predictable with these.

Grabbing:

Fox is chainthrowable from approx. 40-90 [Upthrow]
Forward-throw is a good choice as a finisher, I generally use it after chainthrowing him to around 90 if I can throw him off the nearest edge with it, if not, I tend to Backthrow, so as to maximize damage.

Falco:

Jab – I don’t suggest this against Falco unless it’s used to stop a grab, even then most Falcos are so airborne, that there are better things to be doing than jabbing their grab
Uptilt - can be worked into combos
Ftilt - I wouldn't advise it, as I don't like the amount of Endlag it has, but I have been told it can be worked into combos, and have used it just after throws to add that little bit of extra damage
Dtilt - Great for working into combos, works as part of edgeguarding strategies, can also nicely setup an opportunity to grab Falco.
Upsmash - Great move, Solid finisher, can be hard to implement against Falco, but it’s also a decent edgeguard.
Fsmash - Good for edgeguarding, but if you are going to use it for such, I would advise Fsmashing until you use the pan while he is recovering, then using fsmash as an edgeguard, that way you will hit with either the tennis racket or the golf club
Downsmash – A good move against Falco, especially if he is crouch cancelling. It works as an effective edgeguard only if they don't know how to walltech.

Nair - Good finisher, works as effective edgeguard against his SideB
Bair - Decent finisher, works VERY well as an edgeguard.
UpAir - Great move to work into combos.
Dair - Risky to implement against him while he is standing, but good as an edgeguard followed by Nair or Bair, provided you catch his UpB at the end of it’s path, so that you don’t get nailed by it.
Fair - Good finisher, good for mindgames with Floatcancelling.

Turnips:
I don’t generally like to use turnips against Falco, because of his ****ed DownB, but they can be effective for mindgames, or for edgeguarding.

Counter-strategies:
Alright, let’s start with his $#%@ing shorthop lasers. Avoid those by floating over them, or powershield them.

Pillaring; (this is when he hits you with either Uptilt or DownB, then jumps up and smacks you with Dair, then fastfalls to repeat the process.)
You escape this by DIing left or right while you are airborne, and teching off the ground in the direction that you think would be the hardest for him to follow/predict. If you do that, you will quickly get out of the Pillar.

Grabbing:
Chaingrab this sucker from about 35-80%. [Upthrow]
Forwardthrow is a good finisher against Falco, but expect to have to edgeguard.

Samochan

Smash Master
The idea for making a peach matchup guide is good, since we don't have that here... yet. But the implementation itself is, I'm sorry, not very good. It's lacking, kinda messy looking and has wrong information on it. If you want, you could go trough different threads and make a compliation of different ways to tackle a certain matchup and credit whomever wrote down the stuff, but right now it seems you are not quite experienced enough to write down a complete character matchup guide. Props for trying though. :3

LysanderBlack

Smash Apprentice
The idea for making a peach matchup guide is good, since we don't have that here... yet. But the implementation itself is, I'm sorry, not very good. It's lacking, kinda messy looking and has wrong information on it. If you want, you could go trough different threads and make a compliation of different ways to tackle a certain matchup and credit whomever wrote down the stuff, but right now it seems you are not quite experienced enough to write down a complete character matchup guide. Props for trying though. :3
I would like you to at least point out my mistakes to me, because I'm not going to be getting better until I have a complete understanding of this. I am still going to try to make this though, using what has worked for me so far, also this is not even close to completion. This is likely going to be a 3 month Project.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
whoever mods the peach boards should merge all those posts, you dont need that many posts reserved it should all be done in one single post

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
I was playing a fox the other day and he said that you can get out of a drill shine if you Smash DI the drill kick not the shine and you can get out of it and do a down smash because the stun ends before he can get to you, but im not sure if you Smash DI every drill kick it would work only on some it might. Im am not 100% if this is true as i did not get a chance to try it but if someone can agree wth me and say its true then you might be able to add it up there.

LysanderBlack

Smash Apprentice
Updated, anyone going to help me with this? the format is as follows;
Character Name:
Turnips:
Counter-strategies:
Grabbing:

Also, if anyone is willing to input Stage counterpicking, I would be greatful for the help.

TyrantWolf

Smash Lord
lol @ the part about turnips vs the shine.

You know, when a turnip hits a shine, their shine lags and stuffs. weee free downsmash, throw, or anything.

Not trying to be an *** or anything, but yeah what Samo said. Edgeguards + Nair = hurts sheik. Needle grabbing is gay, don't get caught with predictable spacing.

oh and for heavens sake, do not hold a turnip and get caught in a grab against sheik. no nair and shiz = lulzy combos from Sheik. Which might I add has totally straight combo ability.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
Here is my brains on fox. I may know alot. but in battle cant do it. Im better at giving advice then useing it........*shakes head*. Anyway......

Dont rush into fox. That can lead to ****. Bait fox into aerials or shines. then react fast to get the hits one. Peach is slow, so rushing or chaseing him, or running away wont help. Patients is Key here. Fox is fast and for that have many advantages on you. It may be hard at first but. best not to try to go all out on him. (unless its a person you know very well or a noob fox) Wave dash to dash dance. and watch how the fox moves. If you get shined, dont try to get a Dsmash in, cause the shine comes in too fast for you to get that in. Smash DI Learn that. you be suprised how that can screw up foxes whole game play. Not this makes the match less harder.

Ok, so now you know that his speed can be trouble. but patients and all can help reduce that trouble. Now for his attacks. Most of then you can crouch cancel to Dtilt or Dsmash. at around 30% I would Dtilt him, then combo him into a grab and chain grab him. at around 80%, Dsmash him to rack up damage. abd send him flying. you will want to rack up as much as possible before sending him out the stage.At low Damage you can Dsmash him if you want, but doing so will send him flying out of your reach thous you have to bait him into you again. When close to fox, you want to rack up as much damage as possible.His up throw, smash DI it and if you cant or miss it DI away from him. Now from this point, Fox will csae you like hell so He can get another U-throw in.Wiggle out when your stuned in the air.and if you can land cause fox is all over the play, Time Your D-air to his U-air. You do it right your D-air can stop his U-air and you can land to the stage. This Down throw, when he does it mix up your techs, like tech in place, tech to the left or right. Mix it up to thrown him off. Cause he might tech chase you. But You need to know how to time the tech when he Dthrows you, cause if you dont, You will eat a smash attack.

Well, now that you know all of this, next you need to know is how to attack a fox. FC can do wonders on his furry azz. and since he is a fast faller, you can combo him pretty easy. Fox can **** Peach. But cause of Foxes weight, He can **** him just as bad. Dtilt pwns foxes to nasty Peach combos. Use this more at low damage. Shoot, even at high damage, you can do it then ether N-air him or Up-air him for the kill. If Fox is like going crazy on the stage and want to slow him down when attacking you. Jab him, that jab stops him dead. Jab one then grab or Dsmash him. And if Times Dtilt as well. F-air does great when connected. Wavedash back to a FC and F-air him. Space the move so You are not to close to get grabbed or attack if you miss or he blocks it. N-air out of the shield or FC-Niar or back air out of the shield works great too. Attack out the shield alot and dont roll too much. Remember Fox is speedy.Dont pick up turnips when your in range with fox. Or too much, even at a slight far distance, he can catch you in time to grab or attack you.Only when the time is right grab a turnip. Mix your Dash and grabs. Dont always dash, cause remember this. Most People that play Peach, when Peach runs to them what id most likely expected? A dash attack. and in most cases Peaches do dash attack alot. So mix up the grabs and Dash attack to throw you enemy off. Use Use FC techs fast when in rage with for if you plan to use it at all. Cause FC can leave you open to attacks. Best not to do it too far away and leave yourself open for an attack. The right FC can pwn his azz.You can also grab fox when he tries to drill shine you. But you have to time it. Once he drills you time it right and you can grab him out the shield before the shine comes in. Also out the shield. U-B out if it at times if possible for a quick escape if you need breathing space. Its pretty fast. And breaks through almost anything when done out the shield.

I doubt I need to explain how to edge guard him cause one he is out the stage, its **** time.
If he U-B when trying to return (I love this kill so much) In the middle of it before he is set into flame, hit him with a turnip, its stops him head on and he falls to his Death. B-air him when he does his U-B. But be careful, bad timing , he can go throw it and hit you. Or you both will take each others hits.Foxes now these Days love to F-B to the stage, so time it right and FC to a F/N/ or B-air him to his doom. Also times Fsmashes on him and even up smashes can get him pretty good for the kill. But thats another story. Fox fox is too scared to try to land in the stage, he will try to sweetspot the edge. with timing you can FC D-air to N-air and send his azz out again. Or grab the edge and get back up on the stage moment the move is about to connect. Dsmash works well too. But its all about timing. Also while he Does his U-B, You can FC to him and hit him with an aerial attack before he is set into flames and moves toward the stage. but you can also get burned when he is still in place cause of the flames around him and can but you in danger. and one more lil trick I love to do. But needs timing as well. When fox U-B to the stage, once his is in flames and is coming towards the stage, if you can tell which direction he is going. get over him and FC D -air to N-air. I have been messing this up lately but can work well with the right timing. is being flashy I guess. but if you can do it right. It can do justice in your game play (well I think so anyway)

Well thats all I have as advice to help you with your fox problem. if you have anymore problems. I'll be more then glad to help. Im starting to learn this match up my self and trying to see ways I can handle foxes on different levels and such. hope this helped you. Good luck in your fox battles and own that furry animal.

One more thing I forgot to add. If your getting comboed pretty back and lose your coll. Your giving fox the advantage to beat you even easier. thus player get tick off and rush into fox. and a smart one will abuse you for it. always play the way you was when you were doing just fine. You mis a few DI's and DI smashes and get K.O for it, dont lose your cool for nothing. I tend to do this alot and T get beat worst then I was a minute ago, thus lose my cool or get mad and then get owned. Im trying to get off this habit, cause habits like this are not good and Fox, falco, Shiek and Marths. From start to finish, Play like you always do. your better off that way and still have a chance to come back and own his azz. Just a lil tip from expereence and what I see alot.

Use this to format the fox area as you please.

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=114342 <----- Peach Vs Y.link. This could help as well for the matchup

SamDvds

Smash Ace
ok 2 things...as far as Peach counterpick stages (besides the obvious Dreamland, Mute City, FoD) personally i like using DK 64 and Jungle Japes against Fox (these work well against falco also, unless the falco knows how to play on the ledges at Japes) the ledges on DK64 are impossible for fox to sweet spot, it has a high ceiling, and the slants in the floor amplify peach's D-smash. With Japes, if you get fox on that center ledge u can get under it and Up-B, fall through the ledge, and repeat. Also when fox gets caught in a D-smash, alot of times they bounce off 1 of the ledges on the side platforms and if they dont tech, they fall straight into the water (or a klap trap).

To the Sheik question above, i actually like using green greens. I dont know why, its just always been good luck for me against sheik. This match up isnt too bad...alot of times peach can B-air against a recovering sheik and if they miss the sweet spot or if your attack is placed right, sheik will *poof* right into the B-air, as she is re-appearing from her Up-B.

Top Bottom