• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Peach & Controllers ~ The Dilemma.

DinoTrowski

Smash Rookie
I know this may sound very familiar to some of you, but I figured I bring up a discussion about which controller you prefer to use when playing Peach in Smash 4.

I started using the Game Cube controller initially, but I could not for the live of me float using the Y button and use the c-stick efficiently. I also tried changing the L bumper to jump but overall it just feels clunky. I figured I should try switching to the pro controller but my issue with that is once again. The c-stick is out of place, but the bumpers worked perfectly. NOW I am currently using the 3DS. I just like it because the buttons are closer, I feel like the circle pad helps my movement a lot, the left and right trigger work great, but I just wish there was a C stick right above the X,Y,A,B buttons....

Anyone have any suggestions as to which controller works best for them and why. I just want to pick a controller and settle, but I always find something that just isn't right about.

HELP A PEACH MAIN OUT. PLEASE I'M TIRED OF IT

Manaconda

Smash Apprentice
If playing Peach is somewhat of a long-term investment to you, then I would suggest playing claw-style on the GC controller. It shouldn't take too long to get used to (I got used to it in 1-2 weeks of occasional gameplay), and it allows easy access to float and c-stick using completely different digits. There are also certain things you can only do claw-style (or are at least MUCH easier in claw-style), such as float in one direction while throwing out an aerial in the other direction.

Here's a video explaining why Peach should use claw in Melee, but the way she controls is (I assume) similar in Smash 4. It should give you a general idea of why claw is better for Peach in every Smash game (at least I think so).

NOTE: This all assumes that the control scheme is the default, and I'm assuming from you post you still play the Wii U version (it sounds like you switched to the 3DS version).

Left Hand: Thumb on control stick, index/middle finger on left trigger button (your preference for left trigger).
Right hand: Thumb on C-stick (which is near B), index finger moves around X/Y and A, and middle finger around Z-button and trigger button.

Presumably everybody uses their left hand the same way. As for the right hand, it should look like this.

Essentially, because you jump using X or Y (Y is probably easier), and while holding the jump button, float by tapping downwards on the control stick, this controller style splits the act of floating and choosing a float high between your left thumb and your right index finger, with no need to move your fingers too much across the controller's face. Your right thumb is still on the c-stick, free to throw out an aerial once in float, completely independent of your direction of motion (not possible if you used control stick and A for aerials). For example, you can move forward and throw out back aerials if needed.

Because the c-stick and B button aren't really used in conjunction with each other (no special moves involve the c-stick), the right thumb can comfortably move between those two while the index finger remains around X/Y and A. Other functions involving float, such as fast-falling and jumping after you stop floating, are also easy. Anything else you do on the ground shouldn't feel uncomfortable either, such as dash attacks, tilts, throwing turnips, etc. Overall, each individual digit doesn't move too far around the controller with this hand style.

As for having the right middle finger for both Z and the right trigger, there are't really situations where you would use both at once. If you feel more comfortable shielding with the right trigger instead of the left one, you can grab out of shield using A instead of Z (I believe this also applies in Smash 4, yes?).

If you decide to go for it, you should set aside time to practice jumping + stopping at certain float heights, as well as using the c-stick to throw out various aerials independently of your direction of motion while floating or rising/falling in the air. Both of these are probably the most important aspects of controlling Peach in the air, and unpracticed it will probably feel awkward at first. After that, practice fast-falling and air jumping after you let go of float, which is not as important but still very useful. Sorry if my explanation sounds dumbed-down.

Good luck OP.

Last edited:

DinoTrowski

Smash Rookie
If playing Peach is somewhat of a long-term investment to you, then I would suggest playing claw-style on the GC controller. It shouldn't take too long to get used to (I got used to it in 1-2 weeks of occasional gameplay), and it allows easy access to float and c-stick using completely different digits. There are also certain things you can only do claw-style (or are at least MUCH easier in claw-style), such as float in one direction while throwing out an aerial in the other direction.

Here's a video explaining why Peach should use claw in Melee, but the way she controls is (I assume) similar in Smash 4. It should give you a general idea of why claw is better for Peach in every Smash game (at least I think so).

NOTE: This all assumes that the control scheme is the default, and I'm assuming from you post you still play the Wii U version (it sounds like you switched to the 3DS version).

Left Hand: Thumb on control stick, index/middle finger on left trigger button (your preference for left trigger).
Right hand: Thumb on C-stick (which is near B), index finger moves around X/Y and A, and middle finger around Z-button and trigger button.

Presumably everybody uses their left hand the same way. As for the right hand, it should look like this.

Essentially, because you jump using X or Y (Y is probably easier), and while holding the jump button, float by tapping downwards on the control stick, this controller style splits the act of floating and choosing a float high between your left thumb and your right index finger, with no need to move your fingers too much across the controller's face. Your right thumb is still on the c-stick, free to throw out an aerial once in float, completely independent of your direction of motion (not possible if you used control stick and A for aerials). For example, you can move forward and throw out back aerials if needed.

Because the c-stick and B button aren't really used in conjunction with each other (no special moves involve the c-stick), the right thumb can comfortably move between those two while the index finger remains around X/Y and A. Other functions involving float, such as fast-falling and jumping after you stop floating, are also easy. Anything else you do on the ground shouldn't feel uncomfortable either, such as dash attacks, tilts, throwing turnips, etc. Overall, each individual digit doesn't move too far around the controller with this hand style.

As for having the right middle finger for both Z and the right trigger, there are't really situations where you would use both at once. If you feel more comfortable shielding with the right trigger instead of the left one, you can grab out of shield using A instead of Z (I believe this also applies in Smash 4, yes?).

If you decide to go for it, you should set aside time to practice jumping + stopping at certain float heights, as well as using the c-stick to throw out various aerials independently of your direction of motion while floating or rising/falling in the air. Both of these are probably the most important aspects of controlling Peach in the air, and unpracticed it will probably feel awkward at first. After that, practice fast-falling and air jumping after you let go of float, which is not as important but still very useful. Sorry if my explanation sounds dumbed-down.

Good luck OP.
No thank you! I appreciate all of your suggestions. I've never even heard of this "CLAW" grip so I appreciate it and I will get started on practicing it! THANKS

DinoTrowski

Smash Rookie
Also do you set your c-stick to tilts or smash attacks? I'm curious to know I've heard different opinions about it.

Good luck OP.

Manaconda

Smash Apprentice
I've always set them to smash attacks simply because of habit, but I'm not sure which is better. I suppose it depends on the character, in which case you'll have to evaluate if you use smash attacks or tilts more often when you're on the ground. If you do end up setting the c-stick to smash attacks, performing tilts shouldn't be too difficult.

Meru.

I like spicy food
NNID
Merudi
3DS FC
0963-1622-2801
The c-stick is out of place
Keep using the Pro Controller/3DS (I prefer the Pro controller but that's personal preference) and you'll get used to it. You're used to the Gamecube which is why it feels weird, but if you keep playing it will feel natural. I have never used a Gamecube controller so the C-stick has never felt out of place to me on the Pro controller. Needless to the Gamecube controller's C-stick feels very out of place to me, although it would probably feel natural if I would use it for a long time.

Things like "feeling unnatural/out of place" are caused by habit and will disappear over time if you use the controller a lot.

DrROBschiz

Smash Apprentice
C-Stickers are weird

Drop the crutch and get clutch

Go Pro today

:p.... Just kidding I should really add Cstick Tilts to my game

skazai

Smash Rookie
On a related note, does anyone here use the left trigger for jump (Gamecube controller)? I have been, but I'm finding it hard to shorthop/JCFF consistently. Would it be easier if I set Z to jump? Seems like a button would be easier than a trigger, I'm just not crazy about the idea of learning a new button layout after a few months of getting used to my current one.

Jerbear9

Smash Rookie
NNID
Jerbs9
i'm not a big peach user, just came over here randomly but i'm a fan of the pro controller over all. the c-stick may be in the wrong place but i changed x to special since it's closer to the stick. make L/ZL jump and you have what i would call a stream lined controller with an extra bumper left over for whatever you may run into in the future. unless there is some crazy tech that i can't even fathom, no need for uncomfortable claw hands.

Last edited:

pokio55

Smash Cadet
NNID
Pokio55
On a related note, does anyone here use the left trigger for jump (Gamecube controller)? I have been, but I'm finding it hard to shorthop/JCFF consistently. Would it be easier if I set Z to jump? Seems like a button would be easier than a trigger, I'm just not crazy about the idea of learning a new button layout after a few months of getting used to my current one.
Its harder to shorthop when z is set to jump IMO. Im not familiar with one of the bumpers being set to jump but it does seem kinda bad as well. Its all preference of course :]

DiNoahsaur

Smash Rookie
I use the Wii U pro Controller because of its (in my opinion) improved layout.
Also, I think that the Wii U Pro controller button layout complements peach very well.

My Controller Configuration:
I changed ZR to Jump, and the Right analog stick (C-Stick) to Tilts (attack).
Right bumper to Grab
Left Bumper to Shield

With that, I can do anything with peach---even jump backwards (use ZR to jump) and throw out a fair immediately (use Right Analog ((C-Stick))) without losing any backwards momentum.
This way, you can have X and A all under your thumb (tip of thumb on X, base of thumb on A). For quick Air attacks, and @Dark.Pch 's QFR (Quick Float Release).

Also, with this grip, you're unlikely to get strange callouses on your hands like you might from "Claw" gripping the GC controller. Also, your hands aren't contorted oddly, likely reducing unwanted hand-strain.

The configuration I have is also designed to allow some-what intuitive transitions to the Gamecube controller if you are forced to play with one every now and then. But---It is mainly designed for optimization of the Wii U Pro controller + Peach.

ilysm

sleepy
I personally cannot stand claw grip, but I do see its merits for a character like Peach. As for my two cents, the only change I've made to my controls is to set R to jump, and that's only because I always use L for shielding/wavedashing/l-cancelling in other games so I don't mix up my controls in my head. So basically, whichever trigger you don't use to shield/etc., I'd recommend setting it to jump. Much easier to reach the C-Stick directly afterward. Hope you figure your preference out!

Last edited:

j.method()

Smash Rookie
NNID
HannahFaces
L/R for jump is very helpful when playing peach.
I still use Y for jump and short hop,
but R for float and full hop.
I recommend trying it.

SuperScope

Smash Cadet
I want to add that I'm in a similar boat. My movement with peach on 3ds is so crisp, but I find I'm having a lot of input errors on the wii u using the pro controller. On the flipside, my spacies are 10x better with the pro controller. At first I assumed this was because I mained peach from the start with the 3ds and did not pick up a secondary character for months, but I believe now it's about the height of the directional stick from the controller.

Ignis Wario

Smash Rookie
NNID
grubcomposed
I would hesitate to use the pro controller if you are a tournament level player due to the wireless lag. Here's a vidoe comparing it to the gamecube controller: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtCgo7YR-LQ
I personally use the gamecube controller with a quality May Flash adapter. Here's my suggested controll scheme:

change Z to jump (for easy quick floats)
B to grab
X to specials

Jumping with L and R just doesn't work for me.

RustlinJims

Smash Rookie
NNID
RoboJesus2Fab
I play with a variant of the "claw grip" on the GC controller.

Here's my control loadout:

:GCA:: attack
:GCB:: unused (still set to special but I do not use B button)
:GCX:+:GCY:: jump
:GCLT:: shield
:GCRT:: grab
:GCCN:: tilts
:GCZ:: special (this is where I deviate from most players I know who claw grip)

How it works:

Left hand is pretty normal.

Right hand your thumb should never leave the C-stick. Your trigger finger is curled so the tip of the finger is resting in the middle of the "A" button and your first knuckle (the one closest to the tip of the finger) is resting on "Y".

Your middle finger rests on the "Z" button.

And finally your ring finger rests on the "R" button.

It takes some time to get used to but what really shines about this method is with this setup you are NEVER moving a finger off of a button to perform any command. Once mastered it cuts down on miss input plays due to the fact that you can literally never "finger fumble" the wrong key. It also cuts down your reaction time because you are never moving a finger to perform and action.

I hope this helps someone out!

Last edited:

DiNoahsaur

Smash Rookie
Needless to say C-stick to Tilts are practically mandatory If you want to play a competitive peach.

DiNoahsaur

Smash Rookie
I would hesitate to use the pro controller if you are a tournament level player due to the wireless lag. Here's a vidoe comparing it to the gamecube controller: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtCgo7YR-LQ
I personally use the gamecube controller with a quality May Flash adapter. Here's my suggested controll scheme:

change Z to jump (for easy quick floats)
B to grab
X to specials

Jumping with L and R just doesn't work for me.
Interesting find.
I've never had any troubles with using my Pro-Controller in competitions. A great way to check the quality of your wireless connection is to open up any mode (i.e. Training mode) and then watch the little slider that fills up when you hold the B button to back out of the menu. If it fills up smoothly, you're fine, If it jitters and juts around--somethings wrong.

ALSO BE SURE TO DO LITTLE CIRCLES ON THE CHARACTER SELECT PAGE BEFORE YOU PLAY!! This is crucial, if you see that your little hand is NOT moving in a near perfect circle, then you will likely have issues when it comes to Finessed Peach tech! (this goes for all controllers)

Take the battery out of your Wii U pro and just use the USB cable--It makes everyone hate you less. trust me.
I always bring a spare GC controller, just incase the Wii U's Bluetooth connection decides to be a jerk to my controller.

ligersandtigons

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ChromToTheDome
3DS FC
4656-6292-5830
Switch FC
SW-2244-3437-3034
they need to make a wired version of the hori hori gamecube controller with a slightly stiffer control stick

i prefer using L to jump but the gamecube triggers are kinda annoying

Ximlee

Smash Cadet
I've been using a tilt stick with my unused shield button set to jump for easy floats. Recently however I've been transitioning into claw as it makes a lot of things easier, namely float cancel fast falls

Ignis Wario

Smash Rookie
NNID
grubcomposed
After working on some technical movement options such as perfect pivots and QFR, I have switched over to the Wii u pro controller. The controller is designed for your right thumb to rest on the analog stick which I use for tilt and aerials. I noticed that if the pro controller were to lag 1 frame, my input would still be quicker then reaching down to the C-stick on the gamecube controller. Next I like 4 trigger setup, it is an improvement over the gamecube analog R and L buttons.
Here's the controller button setup:
R Jump
Rz Specials
L Attack (only really used for Nair's)
Lz Sheild
A Attack
X, Y, B Grab
Right analog stick Attack (tilts and aerials)

In case some of you don't know: If you have the right analog stick set to smash attacks and attempt to perform aerials with that stick, your air momentum will be canceled, unless you get a well timed flick. So I strongly suggest tilts to help with retreating aerials.

Top Bottom