• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Peach and the C- Stick? Clawing? And other questions?

Tha_Crystal_Gemz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
miki-iki
3DS FC
4425-1738-4816
Switch FC
SW-5889-0433-4399
Hi there, I'm sorry if this subject was talked about already, I need help very bad...

Up until now, i've been using the wii u pro controller when playing Peach. I've been doing pretty good but I'd like to play even better, y'know learn to do the combos I see on youtube or whatever. Recently, I kinda discovered that Peach can reach her full potential with the use of a c stick. So, I started using my gc controller (im absolutely terrible with it, last time I used one was with Brawl/Melee, which I haven't touched in years) and I have no idea how to even incorporate the use of the c-stick. Everything is awkward and I'm playing horribly. My question is: what action should I map to the C-stick and what is it good for? (I've heard aerials and turnip throwing but would love more info)

Also, what is clawing? This is something I've heard about as well but I did not receive an answer to what it is.

How can I stop getting shieldgrabbed? When I use my fair just to poke/approach my opponent 85% of the time I get grabbed immediately after their shield. Never really got grabbed before but now it's happening all the time? What am I doing wrong?

This may be a stupid question, but I've always wondered this, does anyone use Peach's up tilt? Is it only good for when opponents are on top of ledges?

Thanks.

Ravine

Smash Journeyman
If you're at that point of predictability, your best move would be to add variety to your attacks. A common trick is short hopping -> fast falling -> then grab if they're shielding. Fake em out. :shades:

DiNoahsaur

Smash Rookie
I use the Wii U pro Controller because of its (in my opinion) improved layout.
Also, I think that the Wii U Pro controller button layout complements peach very well.

My Controller Configuration:
I changed ZR to Jump, and the Right analog stick (C-Stick) to Tilts (attack).

With that, I can do anything with peach---even jump backwards (use ZR to jump) and throw out a fair immediately (use Right Analog ((C-Stick))) without losing any backwards momentum.
This way, you can have X and A all under your thumb (tip of thumb on X, base of thumb on A). For quick Air attacks, and @Dark.Pch 's QFR (Quick Float Release).

I find the C-stick, most useful for:
+tilting--because you can execute stationary tilts easily (especially side tilt)
+Aerials--because you can do crazy things like instant ground-float Uairs, Dairs become a little easier, & you can produce aerials in the opposite direction of your momentum without necessarily sacrificing your flight trajectory.

Side note--
Wii U pro controller is faster than GC controller too---Pro controller with ~3ms of input lag!!! (Yea, the GC controller is not instant---especially with the USB connected accessory as another path to travel)

-------

I would suggest not using Fair to approach/poke. It is a very punishable attack (it leaves you open). Try 'poking' with a Bair, or approaching with a Dair.
Check out @Dark.Pch 's QFR & Neutral game videos on youtube. They are the 'bread-and-butter' of Peach Neutral game.

-------

Peach's Utilt is very useful, it has a large hurtbox. I am not an expert in it... but It has many uses with pesky opponents that like to approach from above. It is a quick move--and punishes poor spacing.

Last edited:

Tha_Crystal_Gemz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
miki-iki
3DS FC
4425-1738-4816
Switch FC
SW-5889-0433-4399
Thank you so much for being a pro controller player and saying it is possible to use it for Peach. Tbh, the gc controller feels horrible but I was willing to learn it to become better. I am going to borrow your way to see if I like it later on.

Oh, I was told Fair was acceptable by a certain someone. I should have known better. >.> Will switch it up. Is Nair good to approach with too?

I see, thank you. I almost never use it, I kinda use ftilt when one is coming to me from above.
--
Also, I notice sometimes when I use the pro controller during an intense match with very quick and rapid movements (thus, inputs) it sometimes acts a little wonky and confused: it will rumble for a long time and my character begins to spaz out and become uncontrollable for a small period during the match - random smashes and weird running (as if i am pivoting.) Do you know what this is and how I can prevent this from happening again?

Last edited:

Tha_Crystal_Gemz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
miki-iki
3DS FC
4425-1738-4816
Switch FC
SW-5889-0433-4399
whoops. didnt mean to double post.

Last edited:

DiNoahsaur

Smash Rookie
Nair is probably one of Peach's Best Attacks. It is great for Approaching, because it comes out quickly and has decent priority. If you combine it with @Dark.Pch 's QFR, then you have a rather safe approach/bait.

As to the spazzy input, this has happened to me maybe... 3 times? Each time it was when I connected my controller to the Wii U from rather far away. I am not sure what it is exactly, probably an incomplete connection to the Wii U? What is nice, though, is that if this happens, it should be noticeable immediately when you start playing. If that is the case, there should be no quarrel when asking the other player to accommodate. Anyone who forces you to play with a poorly-synced controller has probably never heard of 'good-sportsmanship'.
Spazzy input happens to GC controllers on the Wii U also though, so it isn't necessarily unique to the Pro controller.

Tha_Crystal_Gemz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
miki-iki
3DS FC
4425-1738-4816
Switch FC
SW-5889-0433-4399
I will try my hand at QFR. Also, I tried your way with the pro controller, and I feel very comfortable with it, now I have to adjust to using ZR to jump and the rest will follow. What action did you map the X button with? o.O I still have it mapped to jump but due to muscle memory, it makes some matches pretty derpy.

Last edited:

DiNoahsaur

Smash Rookie
I leave the X Button to Jump still, it gives me two ways of Jumping---also, It allows me to do some weird things----- like really fast short-hop into Dair (via X & A) then immediately after I trigger the dair I hold down ZR which causes me to float after I finish the Dair.... (I can then continue with combos like Uair, fair, nair, etc.)

truthfully, I have 3 jump buttons, y, x, and ZR.

^_^ I'm glad to hear it's working out for you!

P.S.
I only saw that you had replied now, sorry it's been awhile!

Tha_Crystal_Gemz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
miki-iki
3DS FC
4425-1738-4816
Switch FC
SW-5889-0433-4399
I leave the X Button to Jump still, it gives me two ways of Jumping---also, It allows me to do some weird things----- like really fast short-hop into Dair (via X & A) then immediately after I trigger the dair I hold down ZR which causes me to float after I finish the Dair.... (I can then continue with combos like Uair, fair, nair, etc.)

truthfully, I have 3 jump buttons, y, x, and ZR.

^_^ I'm glad to hear it's working out for you!

P.S.
I only saw that you had replied now, sorry it's been awhile!

Lol, its ok. I actually switched over to GC controller and everything is much better now. I'm doing nair out of shield and everything. I'm kinda doing QFR...and kinda not. Kinda made up my own thing but it seems to be working for now. lol ^^b Thanks for your help.

Takehiko

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FoldedMachi
One best thing for your X is Grab ^_^. I love it

Nuttre

Smash Apprentice
I play claw, though it's from melee and I can't be bothered switching back. (GC controller)
I have my index finger over X and thumb switches between B A and C-Stick.

Top Bottom