• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PC Controller

Shookons

Smash Rookie
Hey guys !

I'm new here and I want to get into Smash. Always liked the game, used to play it a lot as child, but never really started to try-hard.

And I want to try-hard and be good at the game.

So I was wondering, to play on my PC (emulator) what controller should I get that is not expensive and good ?
Should I get a USB one? Or Should I get a controller + adapter (looked around, kind of expensive, cause adapater is like 30$).

Any good advices?

Thanks guys

necroTaxonomist

Smash Apprentice
Best option is go with the GC controller and an adapter. Last I checked the Mayflash 4-port is like 15 dollars and it works natively with the WiiU and PC. Dolphin also has a neat setting that lets it work directly with the WiiU adapter hardware and get you less input lag.

I've used an Xbax controller with Dolphin before and it's not by any means bad, but you might as well play with the kind of controller you'd be using in a tournament.

Last edited:

Annex

Smash Ace
A Raphnet or Retroport N64 to USB adapter with an original N64 controller or Hori mini pad is the best. If you don't intend on playing on console soon though you can use whatever you can plug into your computer that feels comfortable

Avoid USB N64 controllers. They are poop
Avoid Mayflash adapters, since they have a bit of delay and break quickly
Avoid Dolphin because this is the N64 board. Seriously necrotaxonomist what are you doing

Shookons

Smash Rookie
Thanks guys for the feedbacks, very appreciated ! Will look around for an adapter then and my Original nintendo 64 controllers are SO old, like 10 + Years old and all the joystick are very bad. Should I just change the joystick ?(if thats possible) or buy new controller ?

Annex

Smash Ace
If the rest of your controller is fine (which is probably is) you can just buy a replacement stick
https://www.google.com/search?q=n64...f-8&oe=utf-8#q=n64+replacement+stick&tbm=shop

They're cheap! And replacing them is very easy. If you are above the age of 14 and have a phillips screwdriver you will be able to figure it out with cero complicaciones

Also, there are some sticks that are way shorter than the normal one. These are sometimes called "GC style" and are completely garbage without going through a very annoying process to fix them. Evade them

caneut

Smash Ace
if you find an original n64 with a good stick treasure it.

buy some grease and grease it up quickly. if you are super serious lock it away and only use it for console tournys, and find another semi-decent one for online.

all depends on how serious you are. but greasing sticks will make them last pretty much forever. theres even a very nice video guide made by fireblaster on how to do it, and it will tell you what grease to use and everything. easy

Top Bottom