• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pathways Smash XI February

Terral

bluehexagons
Slippi.gg
TERA#282
Results thread: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=12219069
March tournament thread: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=298027

No entry fee; prizes may be awarded based on attendance and funding, but aren't guaranteed. Please bring your own controller.

Get there around 5:00 PM, tournament will start when everyone is ready; ideally by 5:30. Getting there earlier is fine, but don't count on anything being ready before 5.

February tournament will feature a normal double elimination singles bracket, and a double elimination Melee singles bracket. If the match is being recorded, please use nicknames so that Ugvts has an easier time keeping track of who is who when he uploads them.

If we end up having side tournaments, they will likely be single elimination, and games may include: Soul Calibur 4, Tatsunoko vs Capcom, and Super Smash Bros 64 (Virtual Console). There is also the possibility of a Super Street Fighter IV double elimination tournament.

If you plan on showing up, it would be ideal to contact Terral in advance. This is to ensure that we know how many people to expect, and won't start the tournament before everyone has arrived.

Tournaments are scheduled for the third Saturday of each month, but this may change on a monthly basis.

For the curious, there should be some kind of food and soda, and the venue has water fountains. Expect pizza.

YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/PathwaysSmash

If you think you may need to text someone, Terral can provide a cell phone number.

We are also on AllIsBrawl: http://allisbrawl.com/ttournament.aspx?id=11442

Venue Details

Name: Pathways United Methodist Church
Address: 1232 E. Dale Street
Springfield, Missouri, United States

Don't break anything, keep to the rooms where the tournament is in. The tournament will most likely be in the basement; facing the main parking lot, there is a dark metal door by a window and drain-thing, inside the door the basement stairs are to the left.

Rules

Brawl:
Double elimination
3 stocks, 8 minute timer, items off/none
Best 2 of 3, 3 of 5 for finals (or 2 of 3 if players agree)

Extended rules:
- Extending the duration of Meta Knight's dimensional cape is banned
- Pausing is not allowed without both players' consent
- Infinites should not carry on beyond 300% damage
- In the event of a timed-out game involving Meta Knight, if an MK has a ledge grab count over 40, that player loses the match
- Sudden Death is ignored: the result of the match is determined by stock, and then percentage
- No stalling (see SBR definition, but it's pretty obvious)
- Chaingrabbing to KO off of a static walk-off ledge is banned (static i.e. Bridge of Eldin or Yoshi's Island (Melee); doing so on Delfino Plaza or Castle Siege would be legal)
- If a true tie occurs, resolve with a rematch (same characters+stage) at one stock, three minutes
- Any case not mentioned here should probably fall back onto SBR rules

Match-up specific rules:
- If a character matchup is chosen that has a character-specific infinite or near-infinite, if the character with an infinite counter-picked the other player, the disadvantaged player may choose to reset the character selection process (they choose a different character, opponent counter-picks again; this can happen only once)
Affected:
Dedede's standing infinite (Mario, Luigi, Samus, Donkey Kong)
Marth's infinite re-grab (Ness, Lucas)

First round of a set:
- select characters for first set
- strike out stages from starter: one player strikes a stage, other player strikes two stages, first player chooses the stage from the two remaining (1221)
- each player may ban a stage for the set
After:
- loser chooses counter-pick stage*
- winner chooses character
- loser chooses character

- When choosing a character, multi-character slots are to be specified (ie ZSS or Samus, Shiek or Zelda); Pokemon Trainer can alternatively be randomized

* You can't counter-pick a stage that you've already won on in the set, unless agreed upon

Stage List:
Starter:
Battlefield
Yoshi's Island
Smashville
Lylat Cruise
Pokémon Stadium

Counter-pick:
Final Destination
Castle Siege
Delfino Plaza
Halberd
Frigate Orpheon
Brinstar
Pictochat
Rainbow Cruise
Pokémon Stadium 2
Jungle Japes
Norfair​

Doubles rules follow BBR standards
Friendly fire is on, life stealing allowed, etc.

---
Super Street Fighter 4:
Play for best of 3 best of 3, with finals being best of 5 best of 3. Double elimination. Random stage, since picking is pointless.

---
Melee:
4 stocks, 8 minute timer, items off/none
Best 2 of 3, 3 of 5 for finals (or 2 of 3 if players agree)

Character choice/stage selection is identical to Brawl's rules.

Stage List:
Starter:
Dream Land: Fountain of Dreams
Past Stages: Dream Land
Special Stages: Final Destination
Special Stages: Battlefield
Yoshi's Island: Yoshi's Story

Counter-pick:
Kanto: Pokemon Stadium
Planet Zebes: Brinstar
Mushroom Kingdom: Rainbow Cruise
Past Stages: Kongo Jungle​

Linkz17

Smash Apprentice
I encourage everyone living within or near the area to attend if you can. The Pathways tournaments are loads of fun and the normal attendees are really cool people. So yeah, if you can make it to the tournament, you should definitely come! I've been attending these tourneys since July of 2010, and I've had a great experience each time.

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
Free entry fee and free pizza...what's not to love. There is some pretty good melee comp going to this...and from what I hear some pretty good brawl comp too. We'll have 4+ TVs this time too, since Zantetsu and I are both bringing one.

Terral

bluehexagons
Slippi.gg
TERA#282
Up until the last tournament, we've typically had 8-12 participants, but our last one numbered 15 total. I'm expecting a few people to show to this tournament who haven't been around in a while, so hopefully we'll push the player count even higher. There's no crowding in the venue so far, it's a pretty large room that we have. I'm going to try to work with Ugvts (our other host) to have prizes for both the Melee and Brawl singles brackets since we're expecting a good turnout, but the prizes have to come out of our pockets since we don't do entry fees.

Linkz17

Smash Apprentice
Up until the last tournament, we've typically had 8-12 participants, but our last one numbered 15 total. I'm expecting a few people to show to this tournament who haven't been around in a while, so hopefully we'll push the player count even higher. There's no crowding in the venue so far, it's a pretty large room that we have. I'm going to try to work with Ugvts (our other host) to have prizes for both the Melee and Brawl singles brackets since we're expecting a good turnout, but the prizes have to come out of our pockets since we don't do entry fees.
Do you know how awesome it would be if we could get at least 20 people for the brawl tournament? I see it as highly doable. Hopefully putting the tournament up here will help increase our player count. Things are looking good so far. ^^

Terral

bluehexagons
Slippi.gg
TERA#282
If we get everyone from the last tournament to come back, that's 15. Two people who haven't been there in a while may show up (an honest man + trash), that's 17. I'm trying to get Lost to come back, so 18, plus another guy who was at the first couple, 19. There are two main guys at OTC I'm trying to get, I'm in contact with one so he's more likely. If both show, 21. I'm also looking around there trying to make more people aware of the tournament, so it's possible some random people could show up. I'd say 20+ sounds reasonable if anyone else brings friends.

Linkz17

Smash Apprentice
If we get everyone from the last tournament to come back, that's 15. Two people who haven't been there in a while may show up (an honest man + trash), that's 17. I'm trying to get Lost to come back, so 18, plus another guy who was at the first couple, 19. There are two main guys at OTC I'm trying to get, I'm in contact with one so he's more likely. If both show, 21. I'm also looking around there trying to make more people aware of the tournament, so it's possible some random people could show up. I'd say 20+ sounds reasonable if anyone else brings friends.
That sounds awesome! I really hope they can all show up! A 20+ brawl tournament would be awesome, especially for our area. I've got a few people I'm trying to interest as well, so looks like we'll easily get 20 people. I'm excited!

Terral

bluehexagons
Slippi.gg
TERA#282
Sounds good. We should get at least trash coming back, I'm trying to convince an honest man. Once I go back to class I'll try to recruit more people, might bring the Wii and set it up to see if anyone comes to play.

Linkz17

Smash Apprentice
Cool. Btw, since we're expecting more people, should we possibly get more Wiis/TVs? Or do you think we'll have enough still with what we've currently got? I know some of the Melee players are bringing TVs, but most likely that'll be for Melee only.

Terral

bluehexagons
Slippi.gg
TERA#282
As long as they bring Wiis instead of just GameCubes and if we get copies of Brawl, we should be able to use those stations. Feel free to bring stuff to give more security if you want, though. Everyone who brings TVs, Wiis, or copies of Brawl gets their entry fee waived.

Linkz17

Smash Apprentice
Well, hopefully as the date gets closer, we'll get a more accurate player count. That way we'll know approximately how many TVs/Wiis we'll need to pull this off in a timely manner. I can't bring a TV, but I'll keep my Wii and copy of Brawl in reserve should we need them.

Terral

bluehexagons
Slippi.gg
TERA#282
Yeah, I should find out more tomorrow since I have class. If we have 4 stations for Brawl (+1 dedicated Melee and 1 dedicated SSF4 if we end up having that) then we'll probably get through tournaments incredibly fast.

Linkz17

Smash Apprentice
That should be awesome. The only down part would be that there's only 1 recording station. I wonder if we could do something about that...

Terral

bluehexagons
Slippi.gg
TERA#282
Well if someone brought recording equipment compatible with VirtualDub, I could record another station using my laptop. I can't get recording equipment, though, I have other financial priorities at the moment and no spare money at all.

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
As long as they bring Wiis instead of just GameCubes and if we get copies of Brawl, we should be able to use those stations. Feel free to bring stuff to give more security if you want, though. Everyone who brings TVs, Wiis, or copies of Brawl gets their entry fee waived.
Isn't it free regardless? Lol. I know I'm bringing a Gamecube and TV and I think Roman (Zentetsu) is also bringing a TV. The venue is easily big enough to hold 10 or more TVs. We couldn't possibly bring too many...unless we didn't have enough full setups.

Linkz17

Smash Apprentice
Of course it's free. He was kidding, lol.

As for recording equipment, I have a Dazzle I could take. However, I don't know how VirutalDub works, so I dunno if it's compatible.

Terral

bluehexagons
Slippi.gg
TERA#282
Lost should be showing, and bringing a dedicated SSF4 station (projector + 360). Hopefully I won't need mine, and with the GameCube we'll have a dedicated Melee station. We have two TVs at the venue (Ugvts and my Wiis can take those), so if Roman brings a TV and we get another Wii that's three Brawl/Melee stations.

A Dazzle might work, but I'd have to try it out. You can try to bring it and I'll see if it works, or you can get VirtualDub yourself and try it (it's free open source software). It's a little strange to learn to use, but it's my favorite basic video editing/recording software.

Zantetsu

Smash Master
I can't 100% confirm that I'll bring my TV but I'm really sure I can do it. I also have a capture card myself that works quite fine, the only issue is that you'd have to install the drivers and software (which I have on a disk and they don't take more then 10 minutes to install).

Other then the TV, I have some things I can for sure bring:
*Multiple controllers (I went from having hardly any to a lot)
*2 Wii's
*2 Copy's of brawl (burned copies, will only work on the wii's I'm bringing)
*A Gamecube
*Melee

By the way, this is Roman. This is my SWF account.

Terral

bluehexagons
Slippi.gg
TERA#282
So from what I can tell, this is what we'll have so far:
2 TVs at the venue, with 1 Wii (+ Brawl + 1 Melee) each (Ugvts + myself)
2 capture cards (Uvts & Roman) (+ 1 from Linkz?)
2 laptops (Ugvts + myself)
1 360 + Projector + SSF4 (Lost)
1 TV + GameCube (+ Melee) (Ziv)
1 TV? + 2 Wiis + 2 Brawl (Roman)

So enough for two Brawl stations, 1 Brawl/Melee station, 1 dedicated Melee station, and 1 dedicated SSF4 station, with one Wii left over.

I could bring this mini-TV thing I have, it's lag-free but it's probably only about 8 inches diagonally.

Linkz17

Smash Apprentice
If it's not needed, I don't have to take my recording device. Since brawl is our main event, we could use the two recording devices to record the brawl matches: the main TV is winners bracket, the other TV we use to record losers bracket. Of course, I don't know if we're gonna want to try and record Melee matches too, in which case, we'd need a 3rd recording station.

>Bert<

Smash Ace
Well crap. I'd more than likely come, but there's actually another smashfest in Missouri the same day. Lol seriously what is the likelihood that 2 MO smashfests would be on the same day??

Terral

bluehexagons
Slippi.gg
TERA#282
Well crap. I'd more than likely come, but there's actually another smashfest in Missouri the same day. Lol seriously what is the likelihood that 2 MO smashfests would be on the same day??
That is pretty strange, I wasn't aware of any other tournaments in Missouri. We do these monthly, on every third Saturday (with some exception). We don't have a whole lot of leniency on the days we can have them.

Linkz17

Smash Apprentice
Where is this other smashfest located? I've yet to come across anything else in the state, with the exception of the occasional large St. Louis tournaments.

Zantetsu

Smash Master
If it's not needed, I don't have to take my recording device. Since brawl is our main event, we could use the two recording devices to record the brawl matches: the main TV is winners bracket, the other TV we use to record losers bracket. Of course, I don't know if we're gonna want to try and record Melee matches too, in which case, we'd need a 3rd recording station.
Is there a need to record every match in the tournament? If we have more TV's, we should take advantage of them and use them for the tournament so things can move along nicely. I can understand recording the semi finals of the winner and losers brackets and anything above that but recording every match involves us to only use those 2 TV's which may result in a long tournament like last time.

Terral

bluehexagons
Slippi.gg
TERA#282
Well we definitely aren't going to record every match in the tournament, but I want to be able to record on request as well as finals. We'll be recording on request and if no one playing at the time has a preference, then we'll just pick one. I'm thinking we should do one game at a time between Brawl and Melee, but it would be possible to do two TVs per game. Will we have more than two copies of Melee? (me + Ziv)

Zantetsu

Smash Master
Yeah, I understand the record on request, that's fine. But I'm sure there's lots of us who would rather just play instead of dealing with recording during the tournament. Just trying to find ways to make it run more smoothly.

Also, I have my legit copy of melee and I have a burned copy that'll play on one of the wii's I'll be bringing.

Linkz17

Smash Apprentice
Is there a need to record every match in the tournament? If we have more TV's, we should take advantage of them and use them for the tournament so things can move along nicely. I can understand recording the semi finals of the winner and losers brackets and anything above that but recording every match involves us to only use those 2 TV's which may result in a long tournament like last time.
No, we don't have to record every match. And of course, if we have more TVs, we'll take advantage of that. Time is of the essence after all. The three finals (winner, loser, and grand) should definitely get recorded, and the rest can just be if you just happen to play at a recording station or not, or by request.

Also, I could bring my copy of Melee if necessary. I'll just have to dust it off, lol.

Zantetsu

Smash Master
No, we don't have to record every match. And of course, if we have more TVs, we'll take advantage of that. Time is of the essence after all. The three finals (winner, loser, and grand) should definitely get recorded, and the rest can just be if you just happen to play at a recording station or not, or by request.
Yeah, pretty much what I was saying.

Also, I could bring my copy of Melee if necessary. I'll just have to dust it off, lol.
That makes me sad :(

Terral

bluehexagons
Slippi.gg
TERA#282
It would be good to have another copy of Melee so that we could have three Melee going during the Melee tournament and one Brawl. I can probably find a memory card and copy my Melee data over if you don't have one.

Linkz17

Smash Apprentice
That makes me sad :(
After playing Brawl, I really don't like Melee, lol.

It would be good to have another copy of Melee so that we could have three Melee going during the Melee tournament and one Brawl. I can probably find a memory card and copy my Melee data over if you don't have one.
I have my memory card. I just have to determine which one Melee is on since I have 3. Oh, and are we covered with Brawl? Or should I take my copy?

Terral

bluehexagons
Slippi.gg
TERA#282
If I had time in my schedule I'd head over to a tournament in Columbia if it were on a day other than these that I help host, but that isn't really an option for me.

Ugvts

Smash Cadet
3 hours-ish

And to anyone bringing electronic junk, the plugs at the church are mostly only 2 pronged and are pretty spread out, so be ready with power strips and whatnot (if you think you'll need um)

>Bert<

Smash Ace
How far is Columbia from Springfield anyways? I might see if I head over there myself sometime.
Yea unfortunately, it is near the 3 hour mark to get from Springfield to Columbia. We would definitely love to have u guys and you are all more than willing to come. As for which we play, for the most part it is Melee only, but we do have about 4 Brawl guys that play pretty heavily. The weekly Thursday stuff that we hold has Melee, Brawl, and Street Fighter. But, to me, the monthly smashfests would probably be more worth it considering the distance. If distance isn't an issue at all, then come on up!

Terral

bluehexagons
Slippi.gg
TERA#282
You guys are more than welcome to come here too, of course. We only started doing serious Melee brackets at the previous tournament, but we have some great talent in both Brawl and Melee. We also have Lost, who beats everyone here at SSF4 pretty handily.

Linkz17

Smash Apprentice
Ah, 3 hours. That's almost St. Louis distance. I don't know how often I'd be able to go that far out. Hmm...I'll see what I can. It mainly depends on what days your tournaments are. And yeah, like Terral said, if you guys can come down over here, that'd be awesome as well.

On a side note: I won't be able to bring my Wii anymore as a spare. I'll still take my copy of Brawl and Melee though. My Wii kinda broke so...yeah. Sadly I won't be able to get any practice in before Saturday, so I might be a little off. =/

Top Bottom