• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Path to your main

toothb

Smash Rookie
Played brawl in about 2008, casually, at parties and sleepovers and the like at friends houses. I mostly just played sheik in brawl, as I always liked the character. We picked up PM later on, and liked the speed of it, as only 2 of my friends had ever played melee before, and not seriously at all. From there we just simply delved into PM, and that led us directly to melee. (BTW I played Ivysaur in PM for the sole purpose of solar beam). After we found melee, it didn't take long to discover the whole competitive scene, and three of my friends started getting really into it. They wanted me to start playing, but not just "Playing". Playing for real, seriously.

At first I had absolutely no idea who to play. I picked doc first because at that point the only player I had ever watched a single match of was a quick clip of Shroomed. (Don't ask me what the clip was, I can't remember). Eventually, my friend who played sheik at the time, told me to pick them up, because he informed me I needed little practice to be good. I stayed with sheik all the way to now, and my friends have basically created a local scene. I even stayed though all the calls of Auto-combos and "Free kills above 35" and I even made 7th on our local PR (Mind you this is out of about 25 people). So that's how I got my main, because I was told they were easy.

On a side note, I have my first "Real" tournament on the 21st. Wish me luck.

AlexJ15

Smash Cadet
It sounds sort of depressing when you limit to the top four, especially considering at minimum, the top six are viable for tournament play.
I know there are at least 8 (maybe 10) viable characters. But in the long run, if you want the best possible results from yourself then you should pick a Top Tier. Also, I ended up playing all Melee characters at one point and I don't enjoy any of them except for Luigi (#13 on the Tier List) and the Top 3 (Fox, Falco, Marth). Even if I didn't enjoy any Top Tiers, I should still learn them because it will pay off in the long run. Playing only Top Tiers isn't a bad thing.

Last edited:

Raycu

Smash Apprentice
I know there are at least 8 (maybe 10) viable characters. But in the long run, if you want the best possible results from yourself then you should pick a Top Tier. Also, I ended up playing all Melee characters at one point and I don't enjoy any of them except for Luigi (#13 on the Tier List) and the Top 3 (Fox, Falco, Marth). Even if I didn't enjoy any Top Tiers, I should still learn them because it will pay off in the long run. Playing only Top Tiers isn't a bad thing.
I have nothing against choosing top tiers, but saying you'll only pick the top four, when it's been proven time and time again that there's more viable choices than that sounds like elitism mixed with pessimism.

AlexJ15

Smash Cadet
I have nothing against choosing top tiers, but saying you'll only pick the top four, when it's been proven time and time again that there's more viable choices than that sounds like elitism mixed with pessimism.
Yes there are other viable characters. I'm talking about playing the best viable characters AKA Top Tiers. Imagine you are playing a Best of 3 against someone in tournament (or friendlies) that is at your skill lever or slightly higher. You pick Fox (#1 on the tier list) and he picks Samus (#10 on the tier list). In this situation, you would have a noticeably higher chance of winning. I'm not saying that playing a Top Tier means an auto-win, I'm saying that Top Tiers (if you play them well) give you the highest chance of winning. There were times in Smash 4 where I won close matches that I otherwise would have lost if I had picked a character that was not top 20.

Raycu

Smash Apprentice
But, why? What's the point in choosing top four if you like someone who isn't top four? What if you're better at someone who's ranked fifth? It's ridiculous to limit yourself only to fox because you think he's "better". Hell, why are you even playing melee if you're going to rip all enjoyment away by limiting your character choice? :/

AlexJ15

Smash Cadet
But, why? What's the point in choosing top four if you like someone who isn't top four? What if you're better at someone who's ranked fifth? It's ridiculous to limit yourself only to fox because you think he's "better". Hell, why are you even playing melee if you're going to rip all enjoyment away by limiting your character choice? :/
I don't limit myself to only Fox, I said I limit myself to the top 3 (in Melee). I actually do genuinely enjoy the top 3 more than the other characters. I have tried other characters in the past and I just don't like the way they play.

Pigwig

Smash Rookie
I came around to playing Kirby after playing the original dreamland game and I think I remember watching some of the animated series when I was younger as well, I've basically been a massive fan of the character ever since.

I've only ever really played characters from video games that I played, and unfortunately I hadn't played any of the Starfox games :V
Hungrybox inspired me to begin playing jigglypuff, and I've always been a fan of F-Zero, so I started playing Captain Falcon as well. Recently I started playing Falco a bit more, and I find his shine - down air combo really fun to do, so I might add him to my list. I still play Kirby the majority of games but it is nice to change it up every now and then.

koKoRoro

Smash Cadet
Played brawl casually for years with friends, but never bothered to learn the game (I didn't know how to grab).

One year I finally decided to get good, and on my internet searches of smash related things I found the Smash Doc. I quickly downloaded Project M and started playing, and picked up Jiggs because I saw how Hbox and Mango were destroying people with rest and thought it was amazing. My school hosted a little charity tournament and I attempted to transition my Project M Jiggs into Melee Jiggs. Did ok, but most of the people there were trash, and I could probably beat the winner of that tournament easily today.

I bought Melee a few months after that, and picked up Marth because of how cool he was lol. Decided he wasn't for me and picked up Falco. I decided I might as well play the better spacie and switched to fox, but decided I liked the hyper offensive style of falco more than the balanced style of fox.

PATH O__o

::The Pathological Trailmix::
3DS FC
0018-2341-8072
I feel almost obligated to post given my tag.

Although daunting, I was drawn to fox's speed and loved his tech. Getting better with this character is extremely rewarding to me.

pagedMov

Smash Apprentice
NNID
pagedMov
Fox is the best character in the whole game. I like going fast.
I've always played this character and always will

Last edited:
Top Bottom