• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Patch Notes for 1.1.1

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
No you're not. It is an important buff, not usre if a HUGE one, but an important one at least. Problem is still that they still haven't fixed the grab range issue, we lost a pretty nifty AT, and FFDAir is unsafer now. It doesn't seem to be that much of a fair trade.

Scabe

Successful Businessman
This gets the first ever [Official] tag. I think I've gone overboard with the tags. :p

Stickying this thread for a while.

LightLelouch89

Smash Cadet
Toss canceling was a HUGE part of my Link-game and gave me an out in nearly every matchup. Now that it's gone and certain characters (I"m looking at you, Falco) have been given ridiculous buffs, I'm not so sure about Link's tier placement increasing drastically from previous games. IWhy they are determined to keep Link from top tier greatness, I don't know, but I'm getting tired of it. Oh look guys, Link is really amazing. Can't have that, especially when our precious Falco isn't getting at much love! They should have just left it in, knowing Link's history in these games full well. Instead, they act like they're giving us a bone by improving the speed of the second hit on Link's FSmash, disregarding that the second hit was all but unusable against any player with half a brain! There was no reason to make it that slow in the first place!

Don't wanna sell out, but I may have to switch to Toon Link. Sorry.:p

Last edited:

Drunken_Master

Smash Apprentice
Toss canceling was a HUGE part of my Link-game and made me nearly invincible. Now that it's gone and certain characters (I"m looking at you, Falco) have been given ridiculous buffs, I'm not so sure about Link's tier placement increasing drastically from previous games. Don't wanna sell out, but I may have to switch to Toon Link. Sorry.:p
Get out. You disgrace these boards with your cowardice. Don't come crying back to us when you find out gay is worse than Link this time around.

http://smashboards.com/threads/ssb4-wii-u-launch-in-europe-link-social.370194/

This is the thread you want to use for complaining. Don't clutter the patch thread further.

Last edited:

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Don't wanna sell out, but I may have to switch to Toon Link. Sorry.:p
That's funny, considering that most Gay mains are jumping ship saying he's crap tier. But hey, you don't want to sell out, so you'll stick with Gay through everything right? Even when you find out that he's horrible now. I mean, you aren't a sellout after all, you just really like Gay.

Last edited:

LightLelouch89

Smash Cadet
Get out. You disgrace these boards with your cowardice. Don't come crying back to us when you find out gay is worse than Link this time around.

http://smashboards.com/threads/ssb4-wii-u-launch-in-europe-link-social.370194/

This is the thread you want to use for complaining. Don't clutter the patch thread further.
I was kidding about the Toon Link remark. If I were gonna do that, I would've done it in brawl. Trust me, I've stuck by this character even he was one character away from being the absolute worst. I'm just . . . puzzled by the rationale behind the patch, as far as Link is concerned. Objectively speaking, sure, toss canceling, can be deemed a bug not intended in the final product, but the developers have got to be aware of Link's consistent competitive performance throughout the previous games. Surely leaving this unpatched would help immensely in rectifying the past and properly balancing this character. Hell, it's not even game breaking.

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
^Link was better than Jiggz, Zelda and Ganon in Brawl. Just saying.
I think the patch was aimed at game play mechanics and not Link but item users like Link, TL and Peach got screwed over by it.

Zelkam

Resident Wizard
Switch FC
1068-8431-0431
@ Elessar Elessar Time to bump the patch notes thread. I sifted through the official patch notes thread and did some testing myself and this is what I've come up with so far.
  • Hylian shield now blocks space animal lasers
  • Hylian shield blocks pacman's hydrant (according to @ Rizen Rizen it didn't do this before but i believe he tested on the Wii U so if somebody could confirm this for me that would be great)
  • Power Bow charge speed has been slowed down to match the Wii U
  • Some people are saying the Quickfire Bow charges faster? I compared it to the Wii U and they were the same speed, and I don't remember them being different before the patch. So if somebody could confirm this as well that's be swell.
  • Tether Sliding seems to have been removed
I checked Link's entire moveset and it doesn't seem that we got any damage buffs/nerfs.

Rizen

Smash Legend
I think someone said something about F-tilt while holding items being removed earlier on in that thread. Can somebody confirm?
I can't do it on the Wii U but maybe I'm not using the right inputs. How was it done before?

PS Falco's lasers go through Link's shield on the Wii U version.

Last edited:

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
I can't do it on the Wii U but maybe I'm not using the right inputs. How was it done before?

PS Falco's lasers go through Link's shield on the Wii U version.
I can do it on the wii-u. The wii-u hasn't received a patch, so it's not worth testing. This is the reason I'm having to ask other people who have a 3ds to test this for me.
There are two ways. You either hold diagonally down and forwards and hit A, or you hold down on the joystick and hit forwards on the c-stick/a-stick. I'm pretty sure we'll find that the first method doesn't work any more on the 3ds.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
@ Elessar Elessar Time to bump the patch notes thread. I sifted through the official patch notes thread and did some testing myself and this is what I've come up with so far.
  • Hylian shield now blocks space animal lasers
  • Hylian shield blocks pacman's hydrant (according to @ Rizen Rizen it didn't do this before but i believe he tested on the Wii U so if somebody could confirm this for me that would be great)
  • Power Bow charge speed has been slowed down to match the Wii U
  • Some people are saying the Quickfire Bow charges faster? I compared it to the Wii U and they were the same speed, and I don't remember them being different before the patch. So if somebody could confirm this as well that's be swell.
  • Tether Sliding seems to have been removed
I checked Link's entire moveset and it doesn't seem that we got any damage buffs/nerfs.
Can we get a confirmation on all of this? I don't want to add something that isn't true. Like, the quickfire and Tether need to be confirmed. We should also confirm the hydrant one, if someone who still hasn't patched could try to block it.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Unpatched, Pac's hydrant isn't blockable with Hylian shield.
@Foxy, yeah I was doing it wrong.
The wii u patch should follow the 3DS patch shortly.

Zelkam

Resident Wizard
Switch FC
1068-8431-0431
Hey @ Rizen Rizen , when you said that pacman's hydrant wasn't blockable by the Hylian shield, did you mean the water bursts or the hydrant itself? Because I tested it in the Wii U version out of curiosity, and the Hylian shield blocked the falling hydrant for me just fine.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Hey @ Rizen Rizen , when you said that pacman's hydrant wasn't blockable by the Hylian shield, did you mean the water bursts or the hydrant itself? Because I tested it in the Wii U version out of curiosity, and the Hylian shield blocked the falling hydrant for me just fine.
The falling hydrant can be blocked but if pacman smashes the hydrant (from when it's on the ground) and makes it fly sideways it can't be blocked.

Zelkam

Resident Wizard
Switch FC
1068-8431-0431
The falling hydrant can be blocked but if pacman smashes the hydrant (from when it's on the ground) and makes it fly sideways it can't be blocked.
Ah, ok. I just misunderstood you then.

Forget what I originally said about the hydrant, Ele.

Last edited:

~Unknown~

Smash Apprentice
Apologize if this was already asked but do we know for sure this patch is coming to wii u also is the jab cancel lock altered with in any way. I don't have a ds :/

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
^It stands to reason that if a 3DS patch is applied a wii u patch will follow. But we're not 100% sure.
Ah, ok. I just misunderstood you then.

Forget what I originally said about the hydrant, Ele.
I wasn't very clear. :ohwell:

FSK

Smash Ace
Changes in mechanics:
Jab 1 no longer has IASA frames. Meaning Link has to return to neutral stance before he use another move other than second hit of jab.

Dtilt has been changed from a spike to a meteor and no longer spikes opponents hanging from the ledge.

Bombsmash has been removed.

Link can no longer ftilt with a bomb.

Dthrow has less knockback, might combo easier to bair.

Hylian shield now blocks Falco and Fox laser.

Damage changes

Dsmash sweetspot nerfed(18% -> 17%)
Uair strong hit nerfed(16% -> 15%), weak hit buffed (10% -> 13%)
Arrows nerfed, fully charged (13% -> 12%)

Grounded up-b buffed, front hit (12% -> 14%)

Knockback changes (Knockback changes from Blubba's guide. Need to be checked if they are actually new changes or Blubba's guide is outdated)

Utilt might have slightly increased knockback, KO option at 137% instead of 138%
ftilt might have slightly increased knockback, KO option at 136% instead of 148%
usmash might have slightly increased knockback, KO option at 110% instead of 115%
first hit fsmash -> second hit fsmash might have slightly increased knockback, KO option at 103% instead of 110%
tipper fsmash might have slightly increased knockback, KO option at 120% instead of 124%
second hit fsmash might have slightly increased knockback, KO option at 113% instead of 119%
first hit dsmash might have slightly increased knockback, KO option at 109% instead of 112%
second hit dsmash might have slightly increased knockback, KO option at 160% instead of 169%
Dash attack close hit might have slightly decreased knockback, KO option at 123% instead of 111%
uthrow might have slightly increased knockback, KO option at 167% instead of 172%
nair might have slightly increased knockback, KO option at 163% instead of 169%
uair might have slightly increased knockback, KO option at 119% instead of 136%

No information in regards to frame data yet.

Last edited:

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
If anyone has questions about pre-update Link, feel free to ask me. I haven't been able to update because of my lack of access to WiFi at home. I'll answer questions some time tonight. If you don't want to wait that long, then whatevz. Just ask someone else. And yes, the AT thread will be updated corresponding to the update at around the same time.

Last edited:

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
It's official...Sakurai hates us
Meh. By the looks of it, the nerfs really don't seem all that bad. The buffed kill potential on some moves and the buffed combo potential of Dsmash seem to make up for them at least for the most part. It's not like Fsmashing & Ftilting with bombs was super useful anyways. The only thing that really hurts me is the Jab 1 nerf, though to be honest I never truly made use of jab 1 combos anyways. Still pisses me off that they didn't just remove the suction properties of the move instead. That I feel is the only nerf that hurts Link's game at all.

Edit: The Dtilt spikes to people hanging on the ledge was removed tho? That's pretty hard to believe. Maybe it's harder, but it's unlikely that they've removed it completely. Has someone tried this with a wide variety of characters yet? I hope someone can try to see if there were changes to Link's more recent ATs as well. Especially with bomb shines, instant Z-dropping, phoenix bombs and the like.

Last edited:

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Changes in mechanics:
Jab 1 no longer has IASA frames. Meaning Link has to return to neutral stance before he use another move other than second hit of jab.

Dtilt has been changed from a spike to a meteor and no longer spikes opponents hanging from the ledge.

Bombsmash has been removed.

Link can no longer ftilt with a bomb.

Dthrow has less knockback, might combo easier to bair.

Hylian shield now blocks Falco and Fox laser.

Damage changes

Dsmash sweetspot nerfed(18% -> 17%)
Uair strong hit nerfed(16% -> 15%), weak hit buffed (10% -> 13%)
Arrows nerfed, fully charged (13% -> 12%)
Grounded up-b buffed, front hit (12% -> 14%)

Knockback changes

Utilt might have slightly increased knockback, KO option at 137% instead of 138%
ftilt might have slightly increased knockback, KO option at 136% instead of 148%
usmash might have slightly increased knockback, KO option at 110% instead of 115%
first hit fsmash -> second hit fsmash might have slightly increased knockback, KO option at 103% instead of 110%
tipper fsmash might have slightly increased knockback, KO option at 120% instead of 124%
second hit fsmash might have slightly increased knockback, KO option at 113% instead of 119%
first hit dsmash might have slightly increased knockback, KO option at 109% instead of 112%
second hit dsmash might have slightly increased knockback, KO option at 160% instead of 169%
Dash attack close hit might have slightly decreased knockback, KO option at 123% instead of 111%
uthrow might have slightly increased knockback, KO option at 167% instead of 172%
nair might have slightly increased knockback, KO option at 163% instead of 169%
uair might have slightly increased knockback, KO option at 119% instead of 136%

No information in regards to frame data yet.
Are these completely confirmed, or not yet? Also, not sure how to feel about knockback buff. The Jab Neff is bad enough to render this buff null.

FSK

Smash Ace
Are these completely confirmed, or not yet? Also, not sure how to feel about knockback buff. The Jab Neff is bad enough to render this buff null.
Confirmed in the sense that I've tested all of them personally :)

Dumbfire

Sex? Yes, I'm familiar with the theory
NNID
AncientSunlight
I find it strange, too, that they nerfed Dash attack''s knockback. You'd think we at least deserved that reward for landing that awful move?

Skylit

Smash Cadet
NNID
Skylit
Could be a placebo effect, I'm confident it isn't... but does Link's grab last longer now? You know how zero suit's grab could sometimes catch a roll or a spot Dodge after the grab is already out? I've managed to catch a roll with Link twice in a match.

I'm bad at explaining things, so if you have no idea what I'm talking about, that's on me xD

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Obviously not since Sakurai seems to have a hate boner for Link.

I'm so freaking upset now. I have to work all day until 9 pm my time, so I'll fix this thread tonight. Hopefully I'll feel a bit enter by then.

FSK

Smash Ace
Edit: The Dtilt spikes to people hanging on the ledge was removed tho? That's pretty hard to believe. Maybe it's harder, but it's unlikely that they've removed it completely. Has someone tried this with a wide variety of characters yet? I hope someone can try to see if there were changes to Link's more recent ATs as well. Especially with bomb shines, instant Z-dropping, phoenix bombs and the like.
I've been using Izaw's art of Link vid to get the exact position I need and tested it on characters he used in the vid. It doesn't work at the position show in the video, nor any positions close to it. You are free however to test this yourself, would be nice if someone did. To eliminate the highly unlikely case that I'm failing at doing it :)

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
Higher knockback on basically all his strong moves is okay, I guess I'll take that.

Need comfirmination on the lower knockback on D-Throw though. It'd be extremely good if we can true combo into B-air (and maybe utilize that up-b trick if possible) I'll have to research.

FSK

Smash Ace
Higher knockback on basically all his strong moves is okay, I guess I'll take that.

Need comfirmination on the lower knockback on D-Throw though. It'd be extremely good if we can true combo into B-air (and maybe utilize that up-b trick if possible) I'll have to research.
It seems to be easier to DI throws in general now, so I wouldn't expect followups on people that DI correctly.

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
Very true... Trying it out right now and doesn't seem like the Up-B connects. B-air does though. Nice quick 15% combo at least. Notice any differences on Projectiles? I think they stayed the same.

I have noticed that there may be less lag after dashing but I haven't confirmed it.

*EDIT*
Loving the new knockback to be completely honest. I notice much more of a difference against heavyweights now... or it could honestly just be me lol

Last edited:

ScizorVX

Smash Apprentice
anyone else notice that grab range has been increased? also link has a new glitch when you spin slash off the edge of a platform/stage his spin slash goes hyper fast and can be used somewhat weirdly
Edit: also the Strong Dair hurt box has been made slightly easier to land/Boomerang start up slightly lowered and is throwable upon catch (was in before but feels slightly more useful now)

Last edited:

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
I think dthrow hitstun was nerfed. I can't do a 0% dthrow>bair nearly as reliably as I could before.

anyone else notice that grab range has been increased? also link has a new glitch when you spin slash off the edge of a platform/stage his spin slash goes hyper fast and can be used somewhat weirdly
Edit: also the Strong Dair hurt box has been made slightly easier to land/Boomerang start up slightly lowered and is throwable upon catch (was in before but feels slightly more useful now)
His grab range looks a lot shorter to me. But I've been playing Link for less than a week, so what do I know.

Last edited:

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
Haven't quite noticed the Boomerang or the D-throw hit stun being buffed and nerfed (respectively). D-throw definitely has less knockback though.

Top Bottom