• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Patch 1.0.8 Changes to Duck Hunt

WispBae

Tsundere Princess
NNID
The-Wispy
3DS FC
5343-7751-0954
Just thought I'd start the conversation.

I don't know how accurate is is, but I think the Smashes have been increased to match the way the game makes it look (the corners of the shot effect, as opposed to a circle within them. I was testing in training with Mario of various percentages, and only got F-Smash to whiff once. Maybe try on a ligher character?

Other than that, his Trick Shot may have been nerfed, but I think I am wrong. We'll need to look into this.

outfoxd

Smash Ace
NNID
outfoxd
I've had fsmash cause slip outs a couple times still. I didnt notice anything with the can. What's your speculation?

WispBae

Tsundere Princess
NNID
The-Wispy
3DS FC
5343-7751-0954
I've had fsmash cause slip outs a couple times still. I didnt notice anything with the can. What's your speculation?
Fresh Trick Shot did not kill in For Glory at 120%, and I thought for sure that was the magic percent for it to start killing (as long as it wasn't stale). Maybe they just had good DI, which is why I think I'm wrong. Don't wanna spread the wrong info, especially for how little Doggy is played.

Pyro-is-Magic

Smash Cadet
I just had an uncharged tip of f-smash kill a Sheik at the edge of Battlefield at 103%, I think the smash attacks have to be throughly tested to see what changed, hopefully for the better. Also the percent that can will KO is actually around 160% so that didnt change.

Last edited:

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
No changes worth mentioning. Only thing that might be changed is nair's endlag (the animation seems different non-updated 3ds vs updated Wii U) but it's not by a really helpful amount if it is.

crashbfan

Banned via Warnings
NNID
3DS FC
6666-6666-6666
Duck Hunt isn't likely to change throughout this game's lifespan. He's a solid high-mid tier with weaknesses and strengths.

WispBae

Tsundere Princess
NNID
The-Wispy
3DS FC
5343-7751-0954
Yeah, nothing has changed it seems. I've checked with the updated and non-updated as well, with the way @ DunnoBro DunnoBro mentioned. Doggy is untouched.

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
The reason he's not getting buffs isn't how good he inherently is, but how unpopular he is. Villager is irrefutably a superior character but he's much more popular so got some pretty good changes.

WispBae

Tsundere Princess
NNID
The-Wispy
3DS FC
5343-7751-0954
The reason he's not getting buffs isn't how good he inherently is, but how unpopular he is. Villager is irrefutably a superior character but he's much more popular so got some pretty good changes.
I don't really think Doggy needs changes, but I would like fixes to his smashes.

Not to mention I don't think any of us contacted Namco-Bandai about the issues either...

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
I don't really think Doggy needs changes, but I would like fixes to his smashes.

Not to mention I don't think any of us contacted Namco-Bandai about the issues either...
Even if his smashes connected 100% of the time, they'd still be bad smashes. They have bad trajectories, damage, lag, and coverage.

Upsmash is his only usable smash really. But even that needs to be a guaranteed punish, it's never really worth trying to read with it cause it's so weak despite the lag.

Last edited:

WispBae

Tsundere Princess
NNID
The-Wispy
3DS FC
5343-7751-0954
Even if his smashes connected 100% of the time, they'd still be bad smashes. They have bad trajectories, damage, lag, and coverage.

Upsmash is his only usable smash really. But even that needs to be a guaranteed punish, it's never really worth trying to read with it cause it's so weak despite the lag.
I would agree with ya on that front.

What would you recommend then? I really feel like if they were just faster, they'd be great, especially considering how much ground they cover (very similar to Olimar's), and when charged, even better. Less lag I would go with, and for D-Smash to shoot both sides twice, instead of front-back-front.

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
Less endlag on fsmash/downsmash, and bigger hitboxes on downsmash/upsmash (mostly inward though, don't really need more range)

And if downsmash wants to keep that ridiculous trajectory, it should be way stronger. Enough that hitting the wrong side of the stage should let it kill only slightly worse than a regular dsmash on the right side would.

And either reduce the endlag of upsmash or make it way stronger.

As they are, his smashes essentially require tip-level precision just for them to connect. But they're only about as strong as sourspots.

outfoxd

Smash Ace
NNID
outfoxd
I'll keep holding out for a kill throw. Or at least earlier stocks on nair or bair.

Is charizard popular or was there another reason for buffing him?

Splooshi Splashy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Splooshi_Splashy
3DS FC
4768-8534-8805
So, according to this (http://smashboards.com/threads/lucas-roy-ryu-1-0-8-community-patch-notes-21st-01-00.406319/), as of the making of this post, our NAir's landing lag has been reduced. As someone who often uses NAir for multiple purposes, from scoring KOs (including sourspotting :4bowserjr:s trying to escape my rushdown pressure with Up 1 when near the edges at 50+% and I'm hovering above them with my NAir sticking out >:3), to breaking out of juggles, and my personal favorite, fastfalling onto the opponent with it hanging out when trying to get back to the ground, I welcome this small buff. Not only does it make it harder for my opponents to punish my NAir landings, I also get followups that I previously would've had trouble doing, like Jabbing & DTilting & even Claying folks right afterwards as both a way to cover myself and to frame trap those who thought I was vulnerable.

arf

Smash Rookie
I did feel like the landing lag was a bit reduced, but I thought it was just patch-bias getting to me. Hopefully this'll make nair KOs a little bit safer now.

Top Bottom