• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Partial alternative to wavedashing?

Shack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShackShack
3DS FC
1392-5021-7831
Crawling? in melee wavedashing was used as mind games and evasion (sliding back to avoid an attack or throw ur opponent off gaurd). So What about crawling backwards and mdeium range then dashing into a grab or somethign else? I've used it for grabbing and since sheik has a quick dash you can easily crawl backwards then dash foward into a grab or dash attack.

Just pointing it out incase people hanvt thought of using it like this yet. Ill try it with slower characters like lucario later, but i dont think it will be as effective since they dash slower.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I've mostly been using shield to cancel my dashes to let me mix up my movement at high speed. I haven't figured out many uses for crawl other than dodging really high projectiles.

Shack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShackShack
3DS FC
1392-5021-7831
yeah i sheild to replace the crouch cancelled dash's too. I just want to find a way to make more use of the crawl besides avoding some atttacks.

uopq

Smash Rookie
i haven't figured any usage.. but i think i might try that. i am liking the tether and wall clinging though. on some stages i noticed that you can wall cling someones edge hog. but aside from that, i think i'll try crawling a little more and hopefully find more usage to it.

Jok3r

Smash Apprentice
i haven't found crawl as usefull yet.Just avoding some attacks .BUt maybe as the game progreses we might use crawl more..

Smash Rookie
work in foxtrots with DDing, some characters can do this at the turn of a dime, others can't; so experiment ;D

also, i've been stalking this site for a LONGGGGGGG time, and i figured, maybe now i should start posting... =\

Takumaru

Smash Lord
I've mostly been using shield to cancel my dashes to let me mix up my movement at high speed. I haven't figured out many uses for crawl other than dodging really high projectiles.
QFT

As for uses for crawling it's good for mixing up your speeds since you can dash right out of a crawl. A few times I've been able to crawl towards people and d-tilt > nair/fair/ftilt/jab. for whatever reason some people are really screwed up by crawling. Also the number of attacks that go over you when you crawl is suprising.

I wouldn't say it's a replacement for wavedashing but it's useful in its own way. Shield dashing is more useful though.

Yomi-no-Kuni

Smash Lord
the alternative for Wavedash is Foxtrot...
but its hard to do consistently...

eventhough your idea to replace the WD-Back standard mindgame sounds usable, if the crawl is fast enough, which i doubt...

Foxtrot back->turnaround-> anything (or Foxtrot, DD Pivot, which is faster)

Shack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShackShack
3DS FC
1392-5021-7831
Well i didnt say it replaced the WD, jsut another alternative. And her WD allowed u to dodge attacks such as samus' charged shot (i have slid under it multiple times), so crawling lets u get under a good amount too. Its not always just about the fastest approach, the safer ones can be useful too.

FrozenFire13

Smash Ace
The whole crawling thing works relatively well actually. I've been using it and it really screws with people. Mix up some back crawls with some foxtrot and your opponent get a whole lot of "Huh? What?" going through their head.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
So far the only things I've been able to use it for is

1. Scare tactic in casuals, I don't know if anyone notice but when Sheik is crawling back and forth it look really freaky.

2. Knocking my opponent up with something like a up tilt or a low percentage throw and then starting to crawl toward where they will land so I can hit them with a down tilt while being a extremely small target.
Characters like Marth have trouble hitting below them without resorting to their dair.

3. I guess spacing mind games,

Oh and Shack it's great to see you again

S2

Smash Lord
Replace WDing... probably not.

Although, I won't be surprised when someone shows up at a tourney and uses some strange tactic that incorporates crawling in a clever way.

Top Bottom