• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Part 2 of the valoem experience: Yoshi

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
Here is the Yoshi version. Enjoy

Level 0 [the noobs]: See Valoem’s post

Level 1 (Part 1) [the B move phase]: At this point you understand all the moves but just barely. You know Yoshi has multiple egg moves. You rely mostly on the Yoshi bomb to kill and the eggs to annoy people. A moves aren’t as apparent. People barely roll and barely shield. Yoshi users at this point don’t have a grasp of aerials and believe that to win, you just need to spam B up and down b.

Level 1 (Part 2): Yoshi starts to use smashes but barely. Still uses Yoshi bomb for KOS and doesn’t know combos. Throws are still not apparent because the person thinks Yoshi’s throw are weak. Whenever they see that they cannot kill people, normally a Yoshi Bomb or Yoshi egg throw comes. Aerials are barely used and rolling is still a major oddity. Tilts are still not used.

Level 2 (Part 1) [The smash attack phase]: Yoshi has moderately powerful smashes and people see that. They see that the down smash is useful, the up smash is powerful and the forward smash is also really good. They still use Yoshi bomb when they can’t muster a KO and run away and egg. At this point, they can beat a level 1 Part A incredibly easily and a Level 1 Part B moderately easy. Throws are still not found to be good. Rolling is more common but still rare.

Level 2 (Part 2):Yoshi’s at this stage still use eggs but Yoshi bombs are almost never if not ever used. Most Yoshi’s smash spam and they become a little bit less predictable. Grabs are still barely used and aerials are at a starting point. They start to use Yoshi’s odd movement to get quick kills off.

Level 3 (Part 1) [the grab phase]: Not applicable for Yoshi……no grab game xD

Level 3 (Part 2): This the longest lasting phase. 80 to 90% of all players are trapped on this level and think they are unbeatable at the game. I used to be this before I played vs. Isai and Sensei at Smashtality II in a friendly. They think that they are great and they think that there are no advanced techniques. People will combo but at a bare minimum and sometimes accidentally. People believe that grabs are by far the best move in the game. Aerials are used but at a basic potential. Because people think grabs are overpowered, many people abandon Yoshi, Link, or Samus due to their slow grabs

Level 4 [advance techniques]: I developed this more online. People start watching other top players to learn. People start to short hop with Yoshi and see how powerful his combos can be but they still wonder how others can move so fast. They look up the comments about DJC’ing. Grabs are as more of a mindgame effort. Normal Yoshi combos still difficult due to low DJC aptitude. Parry is unknown or barely used. This is my Yoshi’s level besides dittos.

Level 5 (Part 1) [The mastering level]: People use Yoshi’s speed and aerials to overwhelm shields and do gimping combos. DJC up air, n-air, and down air are used a whole lot more. Short hops are common and they have a very easy time beating Level 3’s. These are the people who teach level 3’s a lesson. They have good reaction time and it is very difficult to grab them. They learn how to play vs. bad matchups. DI is becoming better. People who have problems short hopping replace short hops with DJC’s. Up tilt is a staple in combos. DJC is moderately intense. Also, Tilts, tilts, and more tilts. This is my Yoshi level at dittos. DJCC Is already used well.

Level 5 (Part 2) [the touch of death, for Yoshi, as in DJC’s and Parry’s galore]: Examples of this stage include some of the top players in the world. People at this stage can DJC at such an intensity that they can break shields. Combos are done and people only lose to counter characters when they play serious or just because they miss the 0 to death first. People DI heavily and Yoshi actually survives a long time to due to great DJCC’s and Parry’s.

Level 100: You are Isai, enough said.

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
Here is the Yoshi version. Enjoy

Level 0 [the noobs]: See Valoem’s post

Level 1 (Part 1) [the B move phase]: At this point you understand all the moves but just barely. You know Yoshi has multiple egg moves. You rely mostly on the Yoshi bomb to kill and the eggs to annoy people. A moves aren’t as apparent. People barely roll and barely shield. Yoshi users at this point don’t have a grasp of aerials and believe that to win, you just need to spam B up and down b.

Level 1 (Part 2): Yoshi starts to use smashes but barely. Still uses Yoshi bomb for KOS and doesn’t know combos. Throws are still not apparent because the person thinks Yoshi’s throw are weak. Whenever they see that they cannot kill people, normally a Yoshi Bomb or Yoshi egg throw comes. Aerials are barely used and rolling is still a major oddity. Tilts are still not used.
for the noobs dont forget about the Neutral B off the edge strategy, its teh secks.

~~~~~~~Yoshi~~~~~~~
Level 3 (Part 2): This the longest lasting phase. 80 to 90% of all players are trapped on this level and think they are unbeatable at the game. I used to be this before I played vs. Isai and Sensei at Smashtality II in a friendly. They think that they are great and they think that there are no advanced techniques. People will combo but at a bare minimum and sometimes accidentally. People believe that grabs are by far the best move in the game and use falcon’s speed to grab and smash. Aerials are used but at a basic potential. Because people think grabs are overpowered, many people abandon Yoshi, Link, or Samus due to their slow grabs
~~~~~~~Falcon~~~~~~~
Level 3 (Part 2): This the longest lasting phase. 80 to 90% of all players are trapped on this level and think they are unbeatable at the game. I used to be this before I played vs. Isai and Sensei at Smashtality II in a friendly. They think that they are great and they think that there are no advanced techniques. People are still grab spammers but not as much. They will combo but at a bare minimum and sometimes accidentally. People believe that grabs are by far the best move in the game and use falcon’s speed to grab and smash. Aerials are used but at a basic potential

Neither of these really say anything about the specific char :o

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
there really isn't a difference per character at that time

Yoshi is an advanced character without a good grab so not that many people start with Yoshi

also, edited the "falcon" section

infernovia

Smash Ace
I am getting tired of this to be honest. I would like more match analysis/option analysis.

^ a n00b's input.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Congrats on moderatorship craigg :bigthumbu
I feel like an actual matchup thread would take a large amount of effort to write up V_V I was supposed to write up a Fox one in my Fox guide but I got way lazy :urg:

craiigg

Smash Lord
thanks dude
you have a point, if people actually wrote some guides i'd create a stickied thread correlating and organising all the guides and matchup stuff but noone posts threads of that size in this section haha

Superstar

Smash Champion
You know, now that you say it, it sounds like it'd be fun to write a Mario guide. Especially since after me and Surri's match, I looked at that video all day long several days [and when I wasn't I played SSB64] and found out what mistakes I was doing and I'd like to point them out.

Although I'm not really close to best yet...eh, it'll be fun to try to write it.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
make one for kirby lolol
it would go like this

0 Horrible compared to Matts!
1 Way Worse than Matts!
2 Moderately bad compared to Matts!
3 Slightly worse than Matts!
4 Better than Matts!