• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Parrying? Can someone Explain it?

Pabmyster

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Pabmyster
There are multiple types of parrying, but you probably mean a jump Parry, which is essentially you absorbing a hit with your pre-shield invulnerability and jumping instantly to cancel the shield from coming out. This way, you can perform aerials after taking a hit to counter attack, or you can DJL into a grounded move. You have to jump 1-2 frames after you shield. Any later when you get hit by an attack/projectile, and you will get stuck in shield, resulting in a powershield or just a regular shield. It also has to be a full press to be able to jump out of, so you will probably have to trigger trick your controller. If you want more info, there are already TONS of threads, including this one which has literally everything frame and mechanic related that you want/need to know, courtesy of perhapsman: http://smashboards.com/threads/some-yoshi-information.351635/

Parrying is not an easy tech by any stretch, and will likely take hours of practice, so don't expect to get it right away. Was very frustrating for me to learn, and I'm sure that goes for most.
Also, everything you want to ask about is already answered somewhere, so I suggest looking it up or using the links provided.

Top Bottom