• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Paper Mario WIP

Agad117

Smash Rookie
2/23/2018
update:
https://youtu.be/4bPrTcM1aKY
uploaded a video, a more primitive version than the one in screenshots because a lost some of the more recent files but I will fix him.

2/20/2018
A little update:
For those who are still curious, (if anyone still is) I lost a huge chunk of the mod thanks to my faulty hard drive so unfortunately I have to do a lot of the work over. The mod isn't dead just yet though, I'm determined to push through, I appreciate everyone's patience.

I've searched and searched for a paper mario moveset, but none exist. soooo I decided to start making my own. It's about 35% complete and has a whole lot of stand-in moves at the moment but I plan to do so much more.

Lets jump right to the screenshots i guess

The model does not belong to me. I just retextured and rimlit his model.

Gave him kirby's hammer and retexured/resized it.

2D fireballs lol

He has 5 recolors, CSP, BP, Results portrait, and I'm trying to fix the stock.

The stage re-texture is mine too, but i didn't make the stage. although i don't plan on releasing that until more work is done to it.

I want to release it asap but I need a few things done, any help or feedback is much appreciated. I hope you guys are just as excited as me for this release.

More stage images

the top image is the original. I did the rest

Update.
Well now I wanna say its about 45% done. SFX added, gave him custom 2 custom taunts(working on the last one) and I still have to edit the stand-in moves. If anyone wants it I can make a video, but it'll either have to be phone quality or really laggy since my laptop can't handle recording and run the game at the same time very well.

We can call it 50% now lol, thanks to Strange Matter Strange Matter , we now have working stock icons. So huge thanks to you dude, and I'm now one step closer to completing my first mod

Last edited:

Pittman151

Smash Rookie
Im not very experienced with brawl hacking so Im affraid I cant be of much help.

But the mod looks great so far, keep it up!

Yeller1999

Smash Journeyman
Gonna keep an eye on this it looks great, sorry I can't help though wish I could.

Agad117

Smash Rookie
Thnx, I'm in the process of searching for the solutions so hopefully I'll find them soon

Montimers

Smash Apprentice
For the sounds, you just open the brsar file, will either Super Sawndz or Brawlbox, and replace the wave files you want. It's that simple, though you'll need Super Sawndz to create the sawnd file anyway.

Strange Matter

Smash Rookie
For the sound effects, if you're intending for Paper Mario to be used with BrawlEx, it's best you give him a shared sound bank with Mario, like PMDT did with Mewtwo/Lucario and Marth/Roy. That way you'll have access to any default Mario sounds you may need (like the jump and fireball, etc.) in addition to what you add. It's basically done by filling in empty slots in Mario's sound bank with the new sounds and/or replacing less important Mario sounds that can easily be substituted in his moveset with common SFX. The biggest obstacles are that some SFX slots don't work properly and that the process can sometimes corrupt existing sounds, so you have to check up on Mario to make sure he still sounds ok. Though really no matter what way you do it, SFX hacking is pretty tedious and frustrating, easily my least favourite part of Brawl modding.

As for the stocks, I can probably help with that if it's still a problem. Post the stocks and/or your CSPs and I should be able to make new ones in Photoshop.

Last edited:

Agad117

Smash Rookie
Sick stage, is the moveset from scratch or does it borrow from mario?
It borrows from pm Mario, and a few other Mario PSA ATM, but I plan to redo every move with some sort of paper Mario theme

For the sounds, you just open the brsar file, will either Super Sawndz or Brawlbox, and replace the wave files you want. It's that simple, though you'll need Super Sawndz to create the sawnd file anyway.
Took me 7 hours to figure that out lol, but I pretty much got it, thnx.

For the sound effects, if you're intending for Paper Mario to be used with BrawlEx, it's best you give him a shared sound bank with Mario, like PMDT did with Mewtwo/Lucario and Marth/Roy. That way you'll have access to any default Mario sounds you may need (like the jump and fireball, etc.) in addition to what you add. It's basically done by filling in empty slots in Mario's sound bank with the new sounds and/or replacing less important Mario sounds that can easily be substituted in his moveset with common SFX. The biggest obstacles are that some SFX slots don't work properly and that the process can sometimes corrupt existing sounds, so you have to check up on Mario to make sure he still sounds ok. Though really no matter what way you do it, SFX hacking is pretty tedious and frustrating, easily my least favourite part of Brawl modding.

As for the stocks, I can probably help with that if it's still a problem. Post the stocks and/or your CSPs and I should be able to make new ones in Photoshop.
I actually put his sound effects over porky, (started doing them before I saw your tips) and they work pretty well since he had so many sound slots, I even got custom taunt effects, fireball sounds, and a few voices that I feel fit paper Mario perfect.

Oh and I'd be really grateful if you'd help me with the stock icons because they're still giving me hell

Last edited:

Agad117

Smash Rookie
I have experience with PSA, But not any experience with BrawlBox. Also, Do you know how I could make Luigi turn into Mr. L using Model changers? I don't know to use Model changers so anyone willing to teach me please do! : ) Here is what I mean: https://youtu.be/bJnStap6T3k
Really wish I could help you there dude but I'm clueless when it gets that far, maybe try making a thread.

Yeller1999

Smash Journeyman
So is this paper mario gong to be only for PM or will it also get a vbrawl version?

Agad117

Smash Rookie
So is this paper mario gong to be only for PM or will it also get a vbrawl version?
I could make a vbrawl version, but it'll have to come a little later. I don't really play brawl so its not top priority

KR_G

Smash Rookie
Will there be a easy way of adding him in a extra slot in project m also is he over Mario and I could just use pm ex

Last edited:

Speon4

Smash Rookie
I can help you make some custom recolors that make references other characters I have a lot of time for that.

Ferbo.

Smash Rookie
NNID
sentridoh
3DS FC
2810-2661-6409
Switch FC
SW-1953-2632-6702
Mod looks fantastic so far

Agad117

Smash Rookie
I've been gone for a while so I'll just reply to these in bulk.

Will there be a easy way of adding him in a extra slot in project m also is he over Mario and I could just use pm ex
I still have the files to just drop him into pmex, unfortunately I lost a decent amount of progress (his voice, recolors, and some of his attributes since I lost the most recent files) but I plan on making it as easy as possible to insert him into a basic pmex build.

I can help you make some custom recolors that make references other characters I have a lot of time for that.
I always welcome help, If you still have the time I'd be grateful. I can re make the original ones, just let me know if you are interested.

Agad117 Agad117 Is there any way you could make a moveset demo video yet?
Once I get everything situated I promise I'll make a video.

Is this still being worked on? Agad117 Agad117
I gave up once I lost my files but I'm back and more determined than before, keep an eye open for updates.

Agad117

Smash Rookie
I'm so hyped.

Will you give him the "flat" effect too?
When I downloaded the model it was flat but I changed it for the sake of some of the moves I have planned. I could just provide a link to the original model though if you'd like.

Agad117

Smash Rookie
https://youtu.be/4bPrTcM1aKY

A link to the video I promised. This is an early version of him, I have to re make the 2D fireball and a few animations. Please excuse the messy build, it's the one I use to test things out.

Agad117

Smash Rookie
Agad117 Agad117 I think his running animation should be his Paper Mario one, and he should have his Paper Mario spin dash.
I made an animation based on his run from the paper mario games I've played and it doesn't look great since his arms don't move.
I'll see what i can do about the spin dash, I've never actually seen that move (only played TTYD, Super PM, and Sticker star, sorry)
If it's something I can do, I'll let you know

IFerPe01

Smash Cadet
Here's a suggestion: Make his animations more like Paper Mario instead of being just Mario's. (Idle and Up+B for example)
I could help you no problem, the thing is that I don't know how to animate in 3d.
Don't get me wrong, the moveset is great so far, but it could be way better if he has his animations.

Agad117

Smash Rookie
Here's a suggestion: Make his animations more like Paper Mario instead of being just Mario's. (Idle and Up+B for example)
I could help you no problem, the thing is that I don't know how to animate in 3d.
Don't get me wrong, the moveset is great so far, but it could be way better if he has his animations.
I plan on making animations that look like Paper Mario and I've already started. To name a few I tried to re-create his taunts as closely as possible, added a little squash effect on the first few frames of his Up B, and his Side B is a reference to the parry in PMTTYD. The problem with making the idle and some of them is that they just don't look right, his idle animation, similar to a lot of his movement animations in Paper Mario doesn't have any arm movement. it just doesn't have enough spunk to look natural in smash bros (where most characters bounce, twist, and turn while idle). I will try to make new idle 2 and idle 3 animations though (like when mario adjusts his hat) and those will reference his original game.

If I can find a way to make his idle look like something from Paper Mario without it looking dull in smash bros, I'll do my very best to implement it.

IFerPe01

Smash Cadet
Mario & Luigi Paper Jam has a pretty good idle animation when in-battle, you could use that one.

Agad117

Smash Rookie
He definitely does have a little more movement with this one. I'll see what I can do when i get some free time

Death44

Smash Rookie
I love this, he looks so good and I love the references to the Paper Mario series (2d fireball, hammer). Only thing I dislike is that his model is 3d. Is there some way you could make it 2d like Mr. Game & Watch, or is the final product going to be like this? Also, is he a completely original character, or what reused assets did you use for him (e.g. attacks from other characters)?

Top Bottom