• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Palutena's sliding jab

Lord_Espurr

Smash Cadet
NNID
Wheresthetoilet
3DS FC
5129-1941-8904
Here is an easy but effective technique that lets Paluena slide while jabbing:
First, you're going to need to learn how to do a Run Turn Around Cancel ( I don't think that I can post links so you have to look it up. You should find a video that explains it very well.)
Now Palutena's RTAC isn't anything special with customs off...
But if you combine it with lightweight and a ledge it becomes massive, covering one half of FD at max length. Her jab's hitbox can be out for the second part, covering one fourth of FD.
I don't play much Palutena but I hear that her jab is god-like and she can keep up lightweight forever so this sounds useful.
Oh and Palutena can also slide with heavenly light if that's how you roll.

Lord_Espurr

Smash Cadet
NNID
Wheresthetoilet
3DS FC
5129-1941-8904
I probably should have phrased that differently.

Palutena can start to jab the instant she turns around, but if she does she won't slide very far. The closer she is to her running animation, the more speed she has built up and the farther she will slide. This means Palutena is only limited to the second half of her slide if you go max distance.

Unrelated but if you want to use/practice this tech make sure that you aren't on a grassy stage.

Also If someone could post a link to the RTAC video and/or post a video of themselves using it that would be great.

Edit: so I can't quote a quote of myself. Good to know

Last edited:

RavensArk

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3480-2573-0129
Here is an easy but effective technique that lets Paluena slide while jabbing:
First, you're going to need to learn how to do a Run Turn Around Cancel ( I don't think that I can post links so you have to look it up. You should find a video that explains it very well.)
Now Palutena's RTAC isn't anything special with customs off...
But if you combine it with lightweight and a ledge it becomes massive, covering one half of FD at max length. Her jab's hitbox can be out for the second part, covering one fourth of FD.
I don't play much Palutena but I hear that her jab is god-like and she can keep up lightweight forever so this sounds useful.
Oh and Palutena can also slide with heavenly light if that's how you roll.
Interesting! This is pretty nifty. I can see this being a pretty good mix up.

Lord_Espurr

Smash Cadet
NNID
Wheresthetoilet
3DS FC
5129-1941-8904
I wonder how good this would be, it seems like it would be akin to canceling out an Aerial super speed and using jab during the slide part.
In that case people tend to get out of the jab because of how far she's sliding.
Like I said in an earlier post, you can change how far she slides depending on how far into the pivot animation you use the jab. With enough practice you should be able to control your slide enough to prevent your opponent from escaping.

On a different note, I got to try this on a Wii U and I noticed a few things were different then on the 3ds.

1. Sometimes when Palutena starts her jab she will go into an odd crouching animation before she jabs, eating most of your slide. This could happen in the 3ds version too but it seems more common on the Wii U.

2. Sometimes Palutena will jab in the opposite direction that she is sliding in. I have no idea why this happens but it seems useful in case you do mess up your slide and go too far.

Lord_Espurr

Smash Cadet
NNID
Wheresthetoilet
3DS FC
5129-1941-8904
Can someone post a video of this?
Look up Run Turnaround Cancel smash 4 and you should find a video that explains it pretty well. (I wish I could post links)

Kind of unrelated, but she can also slide during a spot doge. Sheild will stop her momentum though, so make sure you hold down before you sheild.

TastyCarcass

Smash Apprentice
It's still an awesome technique even without lightweight. You get a bit of distance and you can bait opponents

RedCap-BlueSpikes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RedCapBlueSpikes
RedCap-BlueSpikes RedCap-BlueSpikes Was that you in that tourney just now?

GG man, the lag tho X_X
Hmm?

*Checks player history*

Oh, I suppose it was! Yeah, GG. Sorry about my connection, it's pretty inconsistent around that time of night.

(did you post this in the wrong thread?)

Edit: Seems I was right. Guess you should delete this too.

Last edited:
Top Bottom