• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Palutena's future is through her customs. Customs don't seem to have a future however.

JayWon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JAYW1N
3DS FC
3754-8914-3121
I'm pretty sure Sakurai and his team is aware of this glitch but I think Palutena's Lightweight won't be fixed until it becomes a major problem or if she'd at least placed top 8 in Evo or something.

Anyways, guys! It's post evo and the discussion for the future of customs has started. PLEASE be VOCAL everyone! Whether you are all or nothing, or want to ban some, or just at least allow fighters/palutena, please be vocal!

Last edited:

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
Hmm, I don't think customs will live throughout the game's lifespan, but I do think that even w/out customs she's still capable of a lot of things. I just think it takes a really strong player to prove that. I felt it more when I was playing for glory last night; however the top tiers are a struggle on paper, but I have yet to really see how well she can face them offline.

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
1 of 2 things will happen. Either no customs or a single custom set for each character tailored for tournament viability.

Last edited:

Hydde

Smash Lord
NNID
Rahrthur
Used to main Palu, but sadly she just cant compete with better characters. Most fo them have better A moves and of course better B moves.

And her customs will most likely never be accepted.

Our dear Palu was stillborn.

I hope sakurai one day fix her

TastyCarcass

Smash Apprentice
Defaultena has a chance. Other characters keep getting nerfed, she gets buffed. Adding percentage to her fair helped a lot. Easiest to land move and safest. I always felt Palutena was a character who needed to work much harder than other characters to build percentage, not so much the case now.

I don't think the frame data [EDIT: Recovery time specifically] on any of her moves are that awful considering how powerful they are. It's just some moves are so bad that if you use them, you're probably going to die. However, her most used moves (fair, bair, uair, jab) have pretty quick recovery time on them. The biggest weakness there seems to be the amount of time they take to activate (fastest move is 8 frames, pls). But I think it's possible to play a safe Palutena. That dash attack kills at high percents and it's invincible, so I'm ok with that having the end lag to stop it being abused.

Last edited:

ShiningBind

Smash Rookie
NNID
SonicTeam
crying about how shes crippled without customs is a horrible rhetoric and it makes us all look bad. I personally want to see customs in the competitive scene and even then I play a default Palutena. I'm not saying my reason are pure or anything. I just love the variety. but honestly thinking any pleads for Palutena ONLY to get customs is pretty disgusting. Plus all of your logic stems from an 8 month old meta-game. That's truly too early for anyone to make the claims being expressed by this threads title. I hate to take this tone, but can you people please leave Palutena to the people seriously trying to advance her meta-game?

TastyCarcass

Smash Apprentice
I agree. The game has changed a fair bit since the times when it felt Palutena absolutely needed them custom moves.
Her neutral is pretty damn strong, and I think that Lightweight and SuperSpeed actually don't help her neutral that much. Lightweight is used to fish for a finisher, such as a grab or being able to juggle more strongly, but I feel it actually makes her neutral weaker, since her shorthop is too high.
SuperSpeed as well feels like it kind of abandons her footsie game. Whenever I use it, it feels like I'm throwing stage control out the window and I have no idea what the results are going to be.
The Miis moves feel like they work with his neutral game, I'm not sure if Palutena's do. It's why I've been using firework more anyway (my scene's tournaments still use customs).

PGP

Smash Cadet
NNID
samwich42
3DS FC
3093-7123-8190
Unfortunately, there is no doubt in my mind that it's either going to be all or nothing with customs. I have a hard time even fathoming the argument that Palutena should be some kind of exception and that only she should have access to a plethora of options that no other character would. If you really think that your character absolutely needs customs, push for customs in general. I'm not trying to say that your logic and reasoning is poor, I just sincerely think that claiming Palutena alone should be this exceptional case is a lost argument among the Smash community.

On another note, as someone who's extensively mained Puff and Zelda in this game but recently picked up Palutena, I can tell you that this character is much better without customs than you make her out to be and is very much so tournament viable.

Last edited:
Top Bottom