• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Palutena's frame cancelled dair

RavensArk

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3480-2573-0129
I haven't heard anything about Palutena's dair being able to be frame cancelled from here so I thought I should mention it.
Sadly I dont have any way of giving examples. Attempting it on a CPU would be nigh impossible, so you'll have to just practice and take my word for it. If you don't know what a frame cancel is, you should watch this video. Izaw explains falco's frame cancelled dair really well
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spHWz-9F7cQ
Its basically the same, however I don't know if the timing is different. Palutena's dair isnt the best thing in the world but its not the worst either. It has a ton of hitstun and its doesnt have much landing lag either. Because of that things like
Dair>bair
Dair>fair
Dair>Dash attack
And dair>grab are possible.
However if your Frame cancel it many more options become available. Heres a list of what I could come up with, again I'm VERY sorry I can't give any examples. I'll be giving the %'s they work at the best

Combo's
Dair>jab 20%

Dair>grab 20%
Dair>bair (no frame cancel) 45%
Dair>fair (no frame cancel) 45%
Dair>dash attack (no frame cancel) 45%
Dair>up air 55%
Dair>nair 55%
Dair>up smash 50%
Dair>dair 50%
Dair>nair>bair 45%
All combo's were tested on Captain falcon a mid weight
(A lot of these are doable at very high % and some seem to be true combo's)

These are the combo's I could do, theres possibly even more. I encourage you guys to learn this. Dair isnt the most useful move and throwing it out certainly isnt that safe, but its still good to have more options open you know? I'll also try to give examples soon.

Last edited:

MysteriousSilver

Smash Ace
Landing a frame canceled Dair on stage sounds like a nightmare, but maybe it'd be worth it off of a roll read or something.

I've only done some minor testing but DI seems to negate most of this. Might be worth it if you catch people by surprise but that's a lot of conditions when you could just jab->grab->etc for the punish. I'd be interested if someone can make it work consistantly with DI. Wish I had people to test with lol

EDIT: Played around with it more , this time on Falcon like you, and am getting better results. Maybe it works better on fast fallers. Some of the higher damage ones may be worthwhile as big punishes or very hard reads if they work consistantly . Good work looking into this either way.

Someone with a partner on hand test this with DI lol

Last edited:

RavensArk

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3480-2573-0129
Landing a frame canceled Dair on stage sounds like a nightmare, but maybe it'd be worth it off of a roll read or something.

I've only done some minor testing but DI seems to negate most of this. Might be worth it if you catch people by surprise but that's a lot of conditions when you could just jab->grab->etc for the punish. I'd be interested if someone can make it work consistantly with DI. Wish I had people to test with lol

EDIT: Played around with it more , this time on Falcon like you, and am getting better results. Maybe it works better on fast fallers. Some of the higher damage ones may be worthwhile as big punishes or very hard reads if they work consistantly . Good work looking into this either way.

Good to hear. Its not that useful but its still something we should at least look into. Hopefully some one with a partner comes along to test this with DI haha.

PHP

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PHPalutena

Do you guys mind sharing this in the "Palutena default set" thread? It would be very helpful. I tested it and it seems like it's very effective!

I haven't heard anything about Palutena's dair being able to be frame cancelled from here so I thought I should mention it.
Sadly I dont have any way of giving examples. Attempting it on a CPU would be nigh impossible, so you'll have to just practice and take my word for it. If you don't know what a frame cancel is, you should watch this video. Izaw explains falco's frame cancelled dair really well
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spHWz-9F7cQ
Its basically the same, however I don't know if the timing is different. Palutena's dair isnt the best thing in the world but its not the worst either. It has a ton of hitstun and its doesnt have much landing lag either. Because of that things like
Dair>bair
Dair>fair
Dair>Dash attack
And dair>grab are possible.
However if your Frame cancel it many more options become available. Heres a list of what I could come up with, again I'm VERY sorry I can't give any examples. I'll be giving the %'s they work at the best

Combo's
Dair>jab 20%

Dair>grab 20%
Dair>bair (no frame cancel) 45%
Dair>fair (no frame cancel) 45%
Dair>dash attack (no frame cancel) 45%
Dair>up air 55%
Dair>nair 55%
Dair>up smash 50%
Dair>dair 50%
Dair>nair>bair 45%
All combo's were tested on Captain falcon a mid weight
(A lot of these are doable at very high % and some seem to be true combo's)

These are the combo's I could do, theres possibly even more. I encourage you guys to learn this. Dair isnt the most useful move and throwing it out certainly isnt that safe, but its still good to have more options open you know? I'll also try to give examples soon.
Nice findings dude :3

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom