• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Palutena vs... What to do?!

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
Hi ya'll.

Although I haven't been putting too much time into Smash 4 as I'd like, I've got a decent handle on how to use her.

My main match-up problems really comes down to 3 characters: Olimar, Little Mac and Zero Suit Samus.

It could be a multitude of problems from input-lag online, 3DS controls, etc.

People tell me I roll a lot [online] but what can I do if I cannot go in on someone? Hell, Palutena's Auto-Reticle is USELESS against Olimar mainly because the Pikmin are targeted so you pretty much have one move that cannot be used effectively if at all.

Little Mac.. Well, he's Little Mac. I can try to counter and keep away but it doesn't always work out so well.

With Zero Suit Samus.. She can juggle you for days. You can try to go in to punish her but she'll just bop and run off and come back in on Palutena considering how superior her agility is.

It could just be me, but I think Palutena up against these three characters especially are the toughest MUs.

I'm mostly looking for advice against Olimar. To Palutena's benefit, you can reflect his Smash attacks but because most Olimars should be aware of that, they'll just go in- shield-grab and repeat. Palutena's U-tilt is extremely hard to land on Olimar if you're trying to read him while being next to you.

I'm going to guess the answer to these are her Custom Moves?

chipndip

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Chiptendo
3DS FC
4098-3083-1621
People say she's defensive, but she's fast enough to force pressure. Her jab, f-air, and down throw are things that should get REALLY damn stale, because you should be using them a crap ton.

A CRAP TON.

She's not high tier at all, and she is disadvantaged, but her smash attacks are so good she can cheese out a win even when sitting at 150% on her last stock while they're at like...100% (which I've done a few times). I don't blame you for switching chars if you do. I don't even main her myself. I main Yoshi and second Pit. Palutena's been doing pretty well, considering my expectations.

MysteriousSilver

Smash Ace
Generic Little Mac advice: Throw him off the stage and gimp him with fairs. Once he's out in the air it gets so easy. He should be terrified of it. Make sure he is, then use that aginst him to make him play more cautiously.

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
Just asking why are you using utilt? The way you worded that sounded like it's really important as a Palutena player.

For ZSS, I recommend you watch AeroLink's match against Sethlon here as a learning tool. The match was very very close, and there is a lot of room for improvement. There are mistakes but nonetheless I learned quite a lot from it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AF59pwRjXA

BKTang'

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Konjiki-Jizo
3DS FC
1950-9517-4990
Hi!

I play a lot with Palutena, and ZSS / Little Mac don't seem to be a big problem, maybe I haven't faced good one yet :)
I never met Olimar online so I don't know about him.

The thing with her is that you must anticipate a lot, because a miss is easily punished...
Btw her F-air is really fast and useful to approach your opponent.
If you jab -> D-throw -> aerial or a smash, you can deal some good damage too!
And her counter is useful when ZSS comes to you in the air.

Hope this will help you!

Btw I think high speed character are troublesome for her, we have to train :)

GdspdUblkprzdnt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GdspdUblkprzdnt
Hi!

I play a lot with Palutena, and ZSS / Little Mac don't seem to be a big problem, maybe I haven't faced good one yet :)
I never met Olimar online so I don't know about him.

The thing with her is that you must anticipate a lot, because a miss is easily punished...
Btw her F-air is really fast and useful to approach your opponent.
If you jab -> D-throw -> aerial or a smash, you can deal some good damage too!
And her counter is useful when ZSS comes to you in the air.

Hope this will help you!

Btw I think high speed character are troublesome for her, we have to train :)

I agree that we have to play Palutena conservatively, a missed ftilt is a death scentence. We have to lay low on the hard reads, use her speed to our advantage insome of the harder MUs.

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
Just asking why are you using utilt? The way you worded that sounded like it's really important as a Palutena player.

For ZSS, I recommend you watch AeroLink's match against Sethlon here as a learning tool. The match was very very close, and there is a lot of room for improvement. There are mistakes but nonetheless I learned quite a lot from it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AF59pwRjXA
I don't know.. I just like the u-tilt and it helps if they're next to me or coming from above. I'll watch the video and see what comes of it.

I've seen some mention "jab -> Dthrow"- I seldom use the jab and that could be an issue. I jab all the time with Kirby and Ness but with Palutena who has a great jab I don't or forget to use it.

BKTang'

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Konjiki-Jizo
3DS FC
1950-9517-4990
I don't know if it's the good thread, but I just had a really hard time against Marth/Lucina with our favorite goddess, they seem impossible to approach! Any tips?

-Jax

Smash Apprentice
I don't know if it's the good thread, but I just had a really hard time against Marth/Lucina with our favorite goddess, they seem impossible to approach! Any tips?
Spam AR to force them to approach you! :drflip:

But other than that I haven't played against enough Marth/Lucina players to really know. Normally I'd camp in shield and try to get shieldgrabs to dthrow for damage, but both their shieldbreakers and counter make that kind of tricky to do, as blindly trying to shieldgrab or followup after a dthrow will get punished pretty hard...

I think you need to rely on some weird unorthodox stuff like slightly slowing their approaches with reflect and following up with an f-smash or something. I don't remember them having amazing range on their dash attacks so that could work maybe.

Now I wanna find a Marth in For Glory... :drsad:

Edit: Ok just played a Lucina, I don't think she knew a lot about Palutena, but what I found most effective was clashing against her approaches with my dash attacks or bair. And ofcourse d-throw shenannigans every chance I got. Didn't have too much trouble, but could be that she just doesn't know Palutena.

Another discovery I just made, JAB CANCELS SONIC HIS SPINDASH. This is amazing, as it's fast enough that he can't punish you for throwing it out as a response to his spindash. With Sonic being one of my most frustrating matchups this makes me an extremely happy goddess.

Last edited:

chipndip

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Chiptendo
3DS FC
4098-3083-1621
1)One AR or 2 here and there. Don't spam it, but just get the pace of the match moving with it. They have a low profile dash, and they might run under.
2) Jabs, f-airs, and d-throws, yo. Don't get greedy with smashes, because they can counter you.
3) Save YOUR counter for when they're at 70-90 percent. If they get greedy, nail 'em.
4) Fastest KO move is simply b-air. You could try to gimp with f-air if you chase off the ledge.
5) Blocking and dodging is your friend. You'll need a lot of this, as well as 2), to keep up, but it's not impossible.
6) Fire off AR while recovering so they can eat some chip for trying to hurt you, assuming they didn't jump off-stage to chase.
7) If they did jump off-stage to chase you...try to avoid that somehow. Idk...air dodge? Counter? Probably not counter. Just keep calm and air dodge.

BKTang'

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Konjiki-Jizo
3DS FC
1950-9517-4990
Thanks for the advices! (AR is Auto Reticule right?)

I'll try it next time I meet a Marth/Lucina

chipndip

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Chiptendo
3DS FC
4098-3083-1621
Thanks for the advices! (AR is Auto Reticule right?)

I'll try it next time I meet a Marth/Lucina
AR = Auto-Reticle.

Also, one more thing: Your dash attack > almost any other. Use it wisely, but use it.

Green Spiny

Smash Cadet
Palutena's jab is a good answer to a characters who run straight at you like Little Mac. The jab combo does a decent amount of damage (10+%) if you keep it going long enough, is somewhat disjointed and comes out fast. Just be careful not to jab more than once unless you connect, because you can enter the punishable combo part even if you miss.

I don't have much experience with Olimar or ZSS, but if you need to get back to the ground after a juggle Warp works very well.

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
AR = Auto-Reticle.

Also, one more thing: Your dash attack > almost any other. Use it wisely, but use it.
Careful with the dash though

it's better in the fact it can cancel out moves and projectiles and a bunch of stuff. BUT it brakes palutena pretty harshly and, like almost every other move, has super punishable lag. So if an opponent rolls away they get an easy grab/smash attack from seeing your dash fail.

It's not like megaman's dash attack where he travels a third of the stage in near invincible mode, or villager's which has super spacing.

BKTang'

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Konjiki-Jizo
3DS FC
1950-9517-4990
Careful with the dash though

it's better in the fact it can cancel out moves and projectiles and a bunch of stuff. BUT it brakes palutena pretty harshly and, like almost every other move, has super punishable lag. So if an opponent rolls away they get an easy grab/smash attack from seeing your dash fail.

It's not like megaman's dash attack where he travels a third of the stage in near invincible mode, or villager's which has super spacing.
Agree with that, I've been punished a lot after a failed dash attack, or shieldgrabbed because it was too obvious :(
Palutena's jab is a good answer to a characters who run straight at you like Little Mac.
Yep, I used this yesterday against a Falcon that keep running at me / grab / knee. It's very useful, and easy to follow with a grab / F-smash.

Shonoun

Smash Rookie
NNID
Shonoun
3DS FC
2122-7088-5761
Came here expecting tips on how to DEFEAT Palutena...
Seriously though, I can't fight her. She has all the moves I hate (Counter, projectile reflect, ranged attacks, huge windboxes) and all those other small things like run speed and crap. She irritates me in every way, and I find it insanely difficult to fight her. Anyone have advice?
And yes, I have searched this forum for a bit.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Seriously though, I can't fight her. She has all the moves I hate (Counter, projectile reflect, ranged attacks, huge windboxes) and all those other small things like run speed and crap. She irritates me in every way, and I find it insanely difficult to fight her. Anyone have advice?
Not be be rude and short-changed about it, but perhaps you'd be better off searching the particular match-up threads of the characters you play? ^_^

How to fight any character depends on the character you're playing, there's no real univeral advice for it. >w<

Phenomiracle

Smash Ace
Nothing wrong with asking; who better to give advice on Palutena's weaknesses but Palutena mains?

Besides, the Rosaluma/Greninja/Diddy Kong mains get asked a crap ton more on advice against those characters.

As a Link main, you should definitely be relying on his Nair frequently. From SH Nairs, to spacer Nairs, it's a move that'll work to separate Link from every character. That should most certainly assist in discouraging heavy Palutena rushdowns. SH Bairs work great as well, but are harder to pull off.

Many Palutena mains will rely on grabbing and occasional dash attacks. Learn to anticipate, spotdodge/punish or shieldgrab.

Unless you've spaced yourself well in the air, do not attempt to challenge Palutena's aerials. All of them will beat you nearly every time; she's dangerous on the air.

Shonoun

Smash Rookie
NNID
Shonoun
3DS FC
2122-7088-5761
Nothing wrong with asking; who better to give advice on Palutena's weaknesses but Palutena mains?

Besides, the Rosaluma/Greninja/Diddy Kong mains get asked a crap ton more on advice against those characters.

As a Link main, you should definitely be relying on his Nair frequently. From SH Nairs, to spacer Nairs, it's a move that'll work to separate Link from every character. That should most certainly assist in discouraging heavy Palutena rushdowns. SH Bairs work great as well, but are harder to pull off.

Many Palutena mains will rely on grabbing and occasional dash attacks. Learn to anticipate, spotdodge/punish or shieldgrab.

Unless you've spaced yourself well in the air, do not attempt to challenge Palutena's aerials. All of them will beat you nearly every time; she's dangerous on the air.
All right, thanks :D

psychoripper

Smash Rookie
Id say for little mac just focus on throwing him off edge. If hes being reckless shielding then grabbing should be easy for you. Even try getting some damage with her projectiles. And if he does by some bizarre chance wants to contest the air then palutenas aerials all should be able to snuff him out

takai

Smash Apprentice
NNID
infamoustakai
I found that since Palutena temporarily disappears when you sidestep dodge, it can confuse the opponent. I practiced with it in training for about an hour last night and then went into For Glory and went 13-3.

The only real issue I have to playing characters with ridiculously fast recovery/cool down times for their moves. Sonic, Little Mac, Greninja, etc. Palutena is practically screwed against those guys, unless you're a master at dodging and punishing.

Top Bottom