• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Palutena Match-Up

tnt_boom

Smash Rookie
So I have some issues with the Palutena Match-Up. I'm facing a very good Palutena who can outplay my Pikachu. She is always spacing, bair or uair me. And even her grab combo are super good against me. I need your help Pikachu mains to help me with this matchup i'm struggling.

realmwars

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RealmwarssII
As someone who mains both I can say that if you want to get the better of Palutena utilize Pikachu's quick attack more. Palutena struggles against characters who can rush down on her quickly. Quick attack not only is a very fast move but it allows you to close the distance on her quickly along with getting some small damage in. Palutena only has a few options with this approach. She can either take the hit, shield/dodge, jump, or counter. All of these having their own consequences.

If Pally takes the hit and depending where you are you can start a combo. If you're right behind her or in front of her you can start doing up-tilt chain links which can also link up into some air combos.

If Palutena decides to shield or dodge, again depending where you land you can punish with a grab or pivot grab. I recommend down throw to once again start an air combo.

If she jumps you got her right where you want her. Start pressuring her with Pikachu's air attacks like u-air or f-air or even a n-air.

If she goes to counter a few things can happen. One you can actually move too fast for the counter to hit, so Palutena is left wide open for a huge amount of punishes. Dash attack, tilts, grabs, another quick attack etc. If you DO get hit don't worry. It won't ever do enough knockback to KO you so you don't have much to worry. If you land right in front of her as she does the counter that's your cue to grab. Basically anytime you see ANY character counter either punish with a grab or hold out on a charged smash attack or other powerful move.

A few things to watch out for with Palutena is if you DO challenge her in the air she's got tools to fight back. Her n-air and f-air can be useful to attack you as well. Or if she air dodges your air attack she can counter with her own air combos (and if you're at high percents Pally will most likely go for an u-air to take the stock) However you are not completely helpless either.

Pikachu's n-air can be a useful combo breaker if you get caught in a combo.

Also be wary of your quick attacks because Palutena's dash attack has shield armor on it so she can punish excessive usage of quick attack by using a dash attack (and it CAN KO at high percents) same goes for her b-air.

Also DON'T use thunder jolt unless you KNOW she isn't going to reflect it back. Thunder jolt frame trapping has it's uses (Doing a full hop, thunder jolt, chasing after the thunder jolt) but if Palutena reflects it back with you chasing it, your own frame trap can backfire on you and Palutena will be the one punishing you with air combos.

Basically Palutena is a very defensive character so your job as Pikachu is to keep pressuring her defense until you get an opening. Quick attack being your best option (You can even quick attack in place to throw the opponent off.)

I hope this helped. If you have the Wii U version of Smash I don't mind doing some matches since I use both Palutena and Pikachu.

Top Bottom