• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Palu Jab -> Shield

Status
Not open for further replies.

sjb.dario

Smash Apprentice
NNID
greatdario
(It is to my knowledge this isn't a known thing, so if this has been already "discovered", then I might just sound like a moron lol)

Hello, all. Recently, I've looked into Palu's jab and I found a very interesting option "jab -> shield".

All Palutena players already know characters with fast aerials like Mario, Luigi, and Yoshi can escape out of Palu's single jab, nullifying her jab -> whatever option heavily.

However, there is an option to avoid this: jab -> shield. Palutena's shield comes out after jab fast enough to block quick aerials such as Yoshi's nair. In fact, Palutena will perfect shield those at very early % (0-10% ish) and do a normal shield against them afterwards. This will allow her to safely grab her opponents after jabbing.

I haven't tested out all of the characters yet, but the only character that can attack Palu with an aerial fast enough before she puts up her shield after jabbing is Little Mac from 0-4%. Afterwards, he won't be able to confirm into a n-air. This leads me to believe that Palutena can safely shield mid-weight character's aerials at any percent as long as the aerial comes out in at least 3 frames. If it's 2-frames, she won't be able to shield an aerial immediately until the enemy is above 5%.

This also affects Palu's jab against fast-fallers. Normally, fast fallers would be able to land and retaliate with a jab after getting jabbed by Palutena. We've only tested this out with Fox and ZSS, but Palutena can immediately perfect shield Fox and ZSS's jab after jabbing at 0%. This means that Palu can jab fast fallers more safely with jab-> shield. This could be more effective than multijabbing them, since fast-fallers can SDI downwards and shield if they get multijabbed by Palutena.

This option in general will make Palu's jab much safer to use, and it will make her jab -> anything string much more reliable.

I'll be posting more on this in the future after further labbing.

Huge credit to NarayanK for suggesting this whole idea and Danderino for finding that this option works on fast fallers as well.

Last edited:

PHP

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PHPalutena
It's interesting I'll give it that, but I think people already knew this?
Not to mention that Her jab is disjointed so If you space it you don't have to worry about it tbh.
However it is something to keep in mind.

sjb.dario

Smash Apprentice
NNID
greatdario
It's interesting I'll give it that, but I think people already knew this?
Not to mention that Her jab is disjointed so If you space it you don't have to worry about it tbh.
However it is something to keep in mind.
I have asked many people about Palu's jab in the past. None of them ever mentioned shielding and just implied that we should multijab or just don't jab them too much in general. I don't think they would've said that if they knew. You'd be surprised.
Her jab is disjointed and is unpunishable at the tip. However, it is hard to connect to other moves at this point, so it is preferable to jab close if you're trying to do a jab -> anything string/combo (which would be at an unsafe range). But, since jab -> shield would nullify fast aerials, this options would make jabbing closer much safer.

Kathuzada

Smash Cadet
NNID
Kathuzada
The only problem I see with it is if people catch on you can probably be grabbed in your shield.

MzNetta

Oh no she betta don't
NNID
ParisNicholson
3DS FC
4940-5470-2081
This is interesting, and while it's not a 100% answer to the problem, it is but another tool in our kit that we can use for mixups. After conditioning the enemy to expect jab>grab or jab>dash attack, jab>shield can be a solid mixup option to keep them guessing.

sjb.dario

Smash Apprentice
NNID
greatdario
The only problem I see with it is if people catch on you can probably be grabbed in your shield.
That is still prevalent in dealing with fast fallers, but it still gives us more of a chance against them with our jab. We just gotta have to be careful of their mind games, since they, too, have mixups options. They just don't have a "get out of jail free" card anymore with the "jab -> shield" option.

Last edited:

Topaz Pikmin

Smash Cadet
NNID
Topaz_Pikmin
(It is to my knowledge this isn't a known thing, so if this has been already "discovered", then I might just sound like a moron lol)

Hello, all. Recently, I've looked into Palu's jab and I found a very interesting option "jab -> shield".

All Palutena players already know characters with fast aerials like Mario, Luigi, and Yoshi can escape out of Palu's single jab, nullifying her jab -> whatever option heavily.

However, there is an option to avoid this: jab -> shield. Palutena's shield comes out after jab fast enough to block quick aerials such as Yoshi's nair. In fact, Palutena will perfect shield those at very early % (0-10% ish) and do a normal shield against them afterwards. This will allow her to safely grab her opponents after jabbing.

I haven't tested out all of the characters yet, but the only character that can attack Palu with an aerial fast enough before she puts up her shield after jabbing is Little Mac from 0-4%. Afterwards, he won't be able to confirm into a n-air. This leads me to believe that Palutena can safely shield mid-weight character's aerials at any percent as long as the aerial comes out in at least 3 frames. If it's 2-frames, she won't be able to shield an aerial immediately until the enemy is above 5%.

This also affects Palu's jab against fast-fallers. Normally, fast fallers would be able to land and retaliate with a jab after getting jabbed by Palutena. We've only tested this out with Fox and ZSS, but Palutena can immediately perfect shield Fox and ZSS's jab after jabbing at 0%. This means that Palu can jab fast fallers more safely with jab-> shield. This could be more effective than multijabbing them, since fast-fallers can SDI downwards and shield if they get multijabbed by Palutena.
So...what you're saying is not even Palutena's jab combo is safe? That's just...wonderful.

sjb.dario

Smash Apprentice
NNID
greatdario
So...what you're saying is not even Palutena's jab combo is safe? That's just...wonderful.
If you're implying that Palu doesn't have any safe options, then you are mistaken. Also, it's been a widely known thing among us Palu mains (and people who know how Palu works) that her "jab -> anything" is not a true combo.

Topaz Pikmin

Smash Cadet
NNID
Topaz_Pikmin
If you're implying that Palu doesn't have any safe options, then you are mistaken. Also, it's been a widely known thing among us Palu mains (and people who know how Palu works) that her "jab -> anything" is not a true combo.
Oh. I didn't know jab into anything was a "combo" in the first place.
I really don't know much about Palutena. I really wanted to be a Palutena main, but I didn't become one. Mostly because in my eyes, she's the worst character in the game and I was recently thinking about whether or not I should push through that and try her again. Because of that, all I know about Palu's meta is F-air is good, don't use tilts, Lightweight is good and that's why every Palutena main is trying to get customs legal and D-throw into an aerial might be a true combo, I'm not sure, I can't pull it off.

sjb.dario

Smash Apprentice
NNID
greatdario
Oh. I didn't know jab into anything was a "combo" in the first place.
I really don't know much about Palutena. I really wanted to be a Palutena main, but I didn't become one. Mostly because in my eyes, she's the worst character in the game and I was recently thinking about whether or not I should push through that and try her again. Because of that, all I know about Palu's meta is F-air is good, don't use tilts, Lightweight is good and that's why every Palutena main is trying to get customs legal and D-throw into an aerial might be a true combo, I'm not sure, I can't pull it off.
How can you know if Palutena is the worst character in the game when you admit you don't know much about her?
I'm not going to say much about her options since this isn't the thread for it (just read IceNinja's guide to get the general gist of it). But I would like to say one thing: You'd be surprised with the number of how many Palu mains are against customs.

Now let's avoid digressing from the main topic here and move on.

Last edited:

MysteriousSilver

Smash Ace
I've been known to do a variation of this against Luigi, only I generally jab -> Start charging Usmash. Assuming I'm well-spaced, if he hits nair because he expects me to try and follow up with grab, he'll hit the ground in landing lag and have to eat the Smash.

_Darkpit_

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5026-4651-4206
Dear Palutena mainer, dear Palutena players!

Sorry to post this but I need all of you.I think you all know of the counter problem with Lady Palutena. Thats why I prepared a video for you! I would develope more videos like that. Because of the counter bug its impossible to counter against the opponent. That can't be true!!!! In my opinion we should team upI My suggestion is that we write to Nintendo e-mails. What do you think?

Here is my video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kvWQmtvw9I

You can spread it in Youtube, Facebook, Miiverse (Palutena >SUPPORT< Community). I'm online to tell you that. I need all of you to reach this aim. Bayonetta was nerfed (edited) too!

Do you agree? Another suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom