• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pacman is the only Bearable Projectile Character

atticusfinch7

Smash Apprentice
Every other projectile character wins their neutral by mashing projectiles buttons/ zair. Pacman actually has to plan out what he does and uses a lot more variety in his gameplay. His setups are way more complicated than bomb into Fair. Even when you win against a spamming Link it's not satisfying to play. But playing against pacman, although you also face trouble approaching, is actually entertaining. I wish all other projectile spam characters played the way he does.

SafCar

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0645-5834-8488
If they did, they would all be lower tiers.

All joking aside, Pacman does have a similar projectile play to Robin's. Both of them get great mileage off of any of their ranged attacks, regardless of charge, and require planning out. The problem, however, is the amount of commitment they need

Characters like Links or Lucas can afford to spam their ranged attacks because they can just continue if it misses or fails. Pacman, however, can't simply throw out the fruit and charge a new one in the meantime - he has to make it work. If he just willy-nilly throws it, the opponent could grab the fruit and severely hamper his ranged game. We spam less because we can't afford to do it more than we need to.

Also, there are some Pacman players that do frustrate me. Hell, before I picked Pacman up, I lost 2-0 to a Pac-Man main in the first round about a year ago. Would just spawn fruit and not even approach me.

Splebel

Smash Journeyman
Hey. Spamming is a viable strategy sometimes. Don't underestimate it. But even if Pac-Man does spam fruit, it's not as much or as bad as some others. I just like he has more uses to his neutral B than Samus' uncharged, charged shot strategies.

Last edited:

Fruit_Hax

Smash Rookie
Link has to have quite a bit of strategy as well to keep pace with the high tiers, but I did pick up pacman for the reasons listed above, he requires creativity which makes every match, even if all the variables are the exact same, same MU same person, same stage. He still has to play a bit differently.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Like SafCar said, it's more that Pac-Man tends to run more to risks with his projectile play compared to other characters. Fruit can be used against him by more higher players knowing the match-up and usually what Pac-Man gets out from his Specials, others seem to get out even better than him.

Though on Lucas I think his "projectile play" is kind of on the poor side, since most of them just suck (aside from Side B, though even that also is laggy in start-up enough to be countered by more reactive players)

Top Bottom