• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pac-Man Training Drills

Firedemon0

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firedemon0
3DS FC
1134-8459-4639
For my fellow Pac-man players, I have found a few drills we can attempt in training mode to help keep inputs consistent. I do not feel it really fits into the other Pac-Man threads, and could not hurt. These drills are done in training mode on Battlefield. This will not replace actual practice with human players however. Please understand.

Bair = Back Air
Nair = Neutral Air
Uair = Up air
Fair = Forward Air

I have broken it up into a few categories with drills in each. Off-stage Drills, Ledge Recovery Drills, On stage Drills, Fruit Drills

Off-stage Drills

Drill 1

These all start with you holding the ledge.

Let go of ledge heading towards bottom corner > Bair > Side B > double jump or up-B

Followed by Let go of ledge > Double jump heading towards side blast zone > Bair > Side B towards ledge not up wall (If you die, keep trying this till you get it almost every time)

Followed by Jump off ledge > Double jump > Bair > Side B to ledge

Do this 3 times in order. These drills help you learn not only how to edge guard as Pac-man, but also how to rely on your side b to recover more then your double jump or up-b. It will also help you with avoid up-b on accident when trying to recover with side-b. You will find that Side-b will get you back almost every time, and if you do mess up, how to save yourself from death. This will help with the next set of drills

Drill 2

Starting from stage

Jump off stage > Double jump > Side b towards ledge. This seems simple, but this is a good mix up that can catch players recovering off guard since you should be coming from behind. Also more practice avoiding death by side-b.

Jump off stage > 3 fairs > Side B back to edge > double jump/up-B. This is practice for getting deep gimp kills. A Variant would be 1 fair > Nair instead of 3 fairs.

Jump off stage > Side b upwards angle towards upper corner > Must grab edge on recovery. This will practice to try for a quick kill, but also grab the ledge if they air dodge, knocking them off hopefully, and with practice from the drills above, able to finish them off.

Drill 3

Start from platform next to ledge

Run off platform > Nair > Double jump to ledge. Simple edge guard.

Run off platform > hydrant > grab ledge. Helps to train spacing the hydrant to get players that recover deep while not hitting the ledge. you can follow up with steps practiced from the first drills to get them on the way back. (I think you should notice a trend now)

Jump off platform > Double jump > U-air > Side b back to platform not ledge. This helps you keep a tight loop on your side B. Will help with using your side b to hit hydrant.

Ledge Recovery Drills

These are for newer players that might make it a habit of rolling onto stage or otherwise opening themselves up to further attacks. Veterans should already know about these kind of get up options. After your double jump you should be heading towards the stage to land

Let go of ledge > Double jump > Fair > Land on stage.

Let go of ledge > Double jump > Hydrant > Dash towards off stage > Bair.

You will not break the hydrant in training mode with this chain. You may need to double jump to get back to ledge after the bair. You can use a getup attack to finish the hydrant if your bair is stale, but it launches higher.

Let go of ledge > Double jump > Up-B > Grab ledge.

This creates a zone of space that should force aggressive players up, allowing you to roll on stage quickly.

On stage Drills

Drill 1

Short hop > Fair > Fast fall
Short hop > Fair > Fair
Short hop > Fair > Nair
Short hop > Fair > Hydrant > Dash off hydrant > Bair > Jab/Ftilt
Short hop > Fair > Hydrant > Nair > Dash off > Bair

Do these three times in order.

Drill 2

Dash Attack > Short hop > uair
Dash Attack > Jump > Nair
Dash Attack > Up-Smash
Dash Attack > Short hop > Hydrant > Dash off > Bair > Jab/Ftilt

Do these three times in order. Go back and forth on stage to help get comfortable with both directions.

Remember that dash attack is easily punished, and this is to learning how quickly you can act out of dash attack

Drill 3

You will need to use the CPU for these drills as they are grab follow ups.

Grab > Down throw > Dash Attack > Jump > Fair
Grab > Down throw > Dash Attack > Jump > Nair
Grab > Down throw > Dash Attack > Side B

It should all connect at lower percents, you may need to reset if damage gets too high. The CPU should also try to air dodge the side b, which some players will do. Great great practice.

Drill 4

Grab > Up Throw > Jump > Nair
Grab > Up Throw > Jump > Uair > Double jump > Uair

The CPU loves to air dodge, this will lead to learning when to time your attacks.

Fruit Drills

These are for practice in picking up the bell and galaxian and z dropping. Note that the bell loses all stun properties when z-dropping.

Drill 1

Charge to Bell > Throw onto platform > Jump > Nair > Short hop > Z-drop > Nair
Charge to Bell > Throw onto Stage > Dash attack > Jump > Z-drop > Nair

Drill 2

From edge of stage > Galaxian > Throw (Should stop on platform) > Short hop > Nair > short hop > Z-drop > Nair
Galaxian > Dash attack > jump > zdrop > Nair
Galaxian > Grab using one of the above > Hydrant > Short hop > Zdrop > Nair

Drill 3

From edge of stage > Melon > Short hop off stage > Throw Melon at lip of stage > Double Jump > Fair > Up-B
Once you grab melon > Hydrant > Full hop > Zdrop > Fair

Drill 4

From edge of stage > Key > Short hop off stage > Hit lip of stage > Air Dodge > Double jump > Up-B
Once you grab Key > Hydrant > Full hop > Zdrop > Nair

That should cover things that need some precise inputs right now till more AT comes out. If anyone has other drills they would like to add by all means go ahead. I will add to OP once I test them and get a good feeling for it. You can also add any Gifs or videos you make performing them.

Last edited:

LanceStern

Smash Lord
I really like this idea and want to try these. Maybe a 15 minute training during the day haha. I feel like I need a training drill on pivot forward smashes

It would help your thread if you put some videos, maybe broke each drill into individual spoilers and had a title for the drill. Just advice.

Last edited:

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
On stage Drills

Drill 1

Short hop > Fair > Fast fall
Short hop > Fair > Fair
Short hop > Fair > Nair
Short hop > Fair > Hydrant > Dash off hydrant > Bair

Do these three times in order.

What's the timing to land the Fair in the shorthop? Immediately after jumping? Before Landing? Most of the time when I do it it whiffs.

dragontamer

Smash Ace
NNID
dragontamer5788
What's the timing to land the Fair in the shorthop? Immediately after jumping? Before Landing? Most of the time when I do it it whiffs.
Its character dependent.

Ness and Kirby require a bit of a wait, while tall characters like Rosalina or Rob can be short-hop fair immediately after jumping.

Some characters have taller hitboxes than you might expect. If one character is giving you particular trouble, try them out in training mode.

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Cool! Who's a good training dummy to use? If you don't know what I'm saying, I mean a character who's got average size and weight so that most combos or kill moves that work on them will work on a lot of other characters. Some characters have small/awkward hurtboxes and lightweight that make them hard to combo/easy to kill and bigger guys have combos that will only work on them/make them harder to kill.

dragontamer

Smash Ace
NNID
dragontamer5788
I generally go to For Glory Mode online. Learning to read opponents is tough, and takes a very long time.

Lucario and Yoshi's hurtboxes during their smash attacks keep screwing with me. Besides, combos aren't really combos, what makes you feel good in training mode doesn't seem to apply to matches competitively.

I'm still trying to figure out a drill routine for myself.

---------------

If you play fighting games long enough, you learn that matchup-specific knowledge is what makes you better. So the answer to your question is to practice vs all the training dummies. This is where things like Tier Lists come in handy, so that you can see who everyone else is using at tournaments to hone your practice against particular enemies.

Last edited:

Firedemon0

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firedemon0
3DS FC
1134-8459-4639
I generally go to For Glory Mode online. Learning to read opponents is tough, and takes a very long time.

Lucario and Yoshi's hurtboxes during their smash attacks keep screwing with me. Besides, combos aren't really combos, what makes you feel good in training mode doesn't seem to apply to matches competitively.

I'm still trying to figure out a drill routine for myself.

---------------

If you play fighting games long enough, you learn that matchup-specific knowledge is what makes you better. So the answer to your question is to practice vs all the training dummies. This is where things like Tier Lists come in handy, so that you can see who everyone else is using at tournaments to hone your practice against particular enemies.
I would also like to add that these training drills do not replace playing actual players. See them more as making your inputs consistent so that you do not flub your entry when trying to attack. You can use certain dummies to see how your attacks can hit. Please keep in mind that with rage, vectoring, and other factors, knock back will be all over the place in an actual match, which is a bit annoying personally.

LanceStern

Smash Lord
I think a good drill is also turning Rosalina on as the CPU and practicing full hop retreating aerials (fair or bair). If you don't full hop them and retreat she will punish you

Firedemon0

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firedemon0
3DS FC
1134-8459-4639
I've been noticing more and more new names in the forum and thought it be wise to bump this up. I'll be making edits throughout the day because of the changes to Hydrant's health. Also will be adding training for Key and Melon off stage grabs.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
Something I'd like to add is:
Short Hop > Fair > Hydrant > Nair > Dash off > Bair

You'll have to input all of this immediately for it to work, so the Nair hits the Hydrant right after you set it. That way the Bair sends the hydrant flying.

Firedemon0

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firedemon0
3DS FC
1134-8459-4639
Something I'd like to add is:
Short Hop > Fair > Hydrant > Nair > Dash off > Bair

You'll have to input all of this immediately for it to work, so the Nair hits the Hydrant right after you set it. That way the Bair sends the hydrant flying.
I was able to do this consistently and have added it to Onstage drills.

spideybry

Smash Rookie
NNID
Spidey164
Are there any drills we can think of to train air spacing/air combos? I know we have the short hops and the off stage drills. But is there anything we can put together for airs above the stage?

Maybe something with hydrants/fairs/uairs to rack up damage and get timing just right for stringing together combos.

Firedemon0

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firedemon0
3DS FC
1134-8459-4639
Are there any drills we can think of to train air spacing/air combos? I know we have the short hops and the off stage drills. But is there anything we can put together for airs above the stage?

Maybe something with hydrants/fairs/uairs to rack up damage and get timing just right for stringing together combos.
There are some very basic ones in Onstage, the dash attack normally launches at an upwards angle. Issues come in when players DI, Pac-man's true combos are very limited compared to other characters, I could suggest trying with AI set to run, around level 7-8. The AI is too frame perfect with air dodges at 9 which makes practicing difficult. That also makes it hard to set a particular drill.

NonStopJoy

Smash Rookie
NNID
NonStopJoy
I have been able to perform this combo which deals ~55 damage: Up-tilt > up-tilt > up smash > short jump slightly left or right right (depends in which direction your opponent tries to flee to) > Bair / Fair > At this point your opponent is helplessly lying on the ground for a short amount of time, feel free to dash attack and continue comboing or even sidesmash

This only works at very low percents though, if your opponent is over 20% you're most likely not gonna be able to pull this off. :)

Jay-kun

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Apple first~<3
I have been able to perform this combo which deals ~55 damage: Up-tilt > up-tilt > up smash > short jump slightly left or right right (depends in which direction your opponent tries to flee to) > Bair / Fair > At this point your opponent is helplessly lying on the ground for a short amount of time, feel free to dash attack and continue comboing or even sidesmash

This only works at very low percents though, if your opponent is over 20% you're most likely not gonna be able to pull this off. :)
HAPPY HAPPY FIRST POST WELCOME TO PACMAN FORUMS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LanceStern

Smash Lord

If you're not careful the opponent could aerial you between the utilt and upsmash, and also they can tech the bair.

But utilt definitely is a nice combo starter

Top Bottom