• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pac-Man Matchup

TheUndeadReturns

Smash Cadet
NNID
House0fFastFood
Let's get right down to it, GW wins this matchup.

Dealing with the Hydrant:

First what you need to know it when the hydrant will be brought into play. When it's the very first move after the match started, I'd recommend not challenging it.

It's often used when Pac is above an opponent, so just shield when he is, or move out of the way/force fall shield when you're in the air.
U-smash is the easiest way to deal with it imo, it's a fast attack that takes it out in one hit, and can be used from dash.
If you want the hydrant to go in a more horizontal arch, d-air it from the top. It'll go in any direction you're facing.

It's fairly obvious when a Pac main is going to use the fruit. Keys are often thrown at the hydrant, so don't spend a lot of time standing the the position for both to hit you.

As far as the Pac main taking out the hydrant without fruit, they'll usually b-air > f-tilt, or f-smash. They can also do various z-drop combos with fruit, or u-turn the Power Pellet while on-top of it.

Dealing with Fruit:

It's too easy to tell when they're going to throw the fruit at you. For example, when they respawn they're always going to throw a mango at you, whether or not you're facing them (b-reversing is possible before the fruit is thrown).

Learn any Fruit combos to deal with any situation.
(This section is without the hydrant)

Cherries are usually only used close-range and can result in a grab at lower %s.

Strawberries are used for edge guarding, from what I remember, or for quick zoning.

Mangos are often used to snipe off-stage or to zone.

Force-fall if thrown off-stage, and catch when ever possible.

Apples are used to hit opponents who are at a lower diagonal area. (Bottom right/left). Often brought out to edgeguard or to recover high with the Power Pellet.

Just don't get in that position, and if you do, be ready to avoid it.

Melons are used for off-stage setups. Sometimes thrown, then caught again (due to its slow speed).Usually hrown from a short-hop off the edge, then followed by a Power Pellet from the stage's lip to catch any air dodges or jumps.

I'd recommend force-falling to avoid the melon (or possibly catching it), then if the Pac main follows you down, punish and Gimp. It'd be best to not go too far off to avoid SDing (should be fairly obvious).

Galaga from what I remember, is thrown, caught immediately, then thrown right after, followed by a Power Pellet. It is also used to possibly land any f/b-airs for extra damage.

The Bell can possibly be used for long combo strings.

The only advice I can give is to not get hit. Its easy to catch the Bell in its awkward arch, but it's easy to get hit before you catch it too.

The Key is used with the hydrant quite a lot. Some Pac mains may throw it against a flat-ended stage (such as Omega Dr. Wily's Castle), and catch it again, it's often z-dropped right after a hydrant has been plopped down to instantly launch it at a foe.

Dealing with Hydrant/Fruit combos.

I'll list the only ones I can name off the top of my head.

The z-dropped key on the hydrant from earlier.

Throwing a Key against the water of the hydrant sends it at a 45 degree angle.

Z-dropping a Bell into the water of the hydrant causes it to go flying in a roughly 30-40 degree angle.

There are some more advanced combos I haven't seen a lot of before, and a lot of those I'll be linking below. After you know these, it'll be tough for any Pac mains to get you in the situations necessary.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rn8OkI7wnIU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jdo320ZiL7U

These combos are important to understand as you can easily do them yourself if you catch any fruit, and the Pac is still throwing down Hydrants (they usually aren't, but keep it in mind). I'd recommend baiting a throw by standing behind the hydrant or looking like you're in tunnel vision mode when recovering high (usually results in them throwing the key).

Dealing with Neutral Pac-Man.

F-air is true. Sometimes it can be used to combo off-stage, but very rarely.

D-air is often used to cover get-up options.

When comboing a Pac, keep N-air in mind, as it'll break anything. Usually d-throw > u-smash nullifies that, or d-throw > f-tilt at lower %s.

Triple Jab is almost always used after dash attack, but sometimes they'll immediately roll. With that in mind, it's important to note the little end lag his dash attack has.

All his Smash attacks have long lingering hitboxs that usually out-live a spot dodge (Comparable to GW's f-smash from Melee/Brawl).

Easily gimped, but his recovery can get unpredictable. Expect Power Pellet mind games.

If you ever get grabbed and they d-throw you, DI away. The only follow ups they have are dash-attack (which isn't true and can be jumped out of) and f-air, if they suspect you'll jump out of the way again. DI-inch away makes it tough for them to land either.

Shield is your friend. Since Pac has the slowest and most easy-to-punish grab in the game, shielding/defensive play is Pac's main weakness. The only time the grab is from a dash, so expect it when you're shielding and they rush you. Just jump up or roll behind them.

If they're holding the fruit expect them to z-drop a lot. Don't put that too much into your head, as it's mostly a scaring tactic. Just don't go under them and you should usually be fine. If you're confident enough you could possibly even grab it yourself after they drop it, but it's not recommended.

That's about all I have to say. Even though I spewed a ton of info, the only way for you to truly learn it for yourself is to play the matchup. This is merely some heavy assistance.

NouveauRétro

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Royal_Bros.
This MU hold a special place in my heart, right next to the ZSS MU, for a couple reasons.
  1. Pacman is my heavily used secondary.
  2. You can duck most of the stronger fruits, including key if I recall
  3. Dtilt winbox rejects some of the fruits, notably apple which can hit you while ducking
  4. If you use dair on the power pellet when he's using the side-B it extends the spike hitbox so he flies into a spike(have to hit before he eats the pellet, but after he starts dashing)
Also some other stuff:
Pacman's dash attack is super unsafe, you don't have to suffer all three hits. after the second hitbox you can shield grab him right out of it. Jump cancelled upsmash actually armors out the last hit also if used quick enough OOS.
If the opponent is dropping hydrant to escape combos I've found that Fire crashes through the Hydrant on its way down and hit Pacman during his lag. Upsmash also armors out the landing hitbox and launches it simultaneously.

I actually have played this MU a lot, because while Pacman dittos are fun this MU is too good for G&W to pass up, so everything I'm saying comes from my experiences in actual matches.

TheUndeadReturns

Smash Cadet
NNID
House0fFastFood
I have a lot of experience in it, but my experience is mostly just with the same guy, trying out different things every time we'd fight.

I usually get hit with dash attack while I'm in the air, so that explains why I'm ignorant of its usability.

NotAsian

Smash Journeyman
I like the old school match ups haha ive been able to up smash the fire hydrant right when it lands catching pacman off guard
If I get annoyed by a pack man I switch to alph and grab his fruit and camp with it haha I can keep throwing pikmin and racking up damage and he can't throw do much else lol

revengeska

Smash Apprentice
I was a GnW main in Brawl who now mains Pac-man. The strategies are a pretty good introductory rundown, but far from complete. Biggest issue I have is that it's assumed in many cases that Pac-man is going to play completely predictably(ie a bad Pac-man). You say that GnW wins the matchup, but saying "don't get hit" against a zoner/trapper is not a good recipe for success. The key is probably gonna kill GnW at about 105%-110% from the ground, and apple around 130%ish. With GnW's aerials no long auto canceling(maybe nair still does? I know the others don't), an early kill from simply punishing a landing is a real problem. GnW has tools and it's probably not too bad for him, but I highly doubt GnW wins this matchup.

Last edited:

TheUndeadReturns

Smash Cadet
NNID
House0fFastFood
I was a GnW main in Brawl who now mains Pac-man. The strategies are a pretty good introductory rundown, but far from complete. Biggest issue I have is that it's assumed in many cases that Pac-man is going to play completely predictably(ie a bad Pac-man). You say that GnW wins the matchup, but saying "don't get hit" against a zoner/trapper is not a good recipe for success. The key is probably gonna kill GnW at about 105%-110% from the ground, and apple around 130%ish. With GnW's aerials no long auto canceling(maybe nair still does? I know the others don't), an early kill from simply punishing a landing is a real problem. GnW has tools and it's probably not too bad for him, but I highly doubt GnW wins this matchup.
Sorry for the late response.
Looking back at this thread I seemed arrogant af.

Basically what I tried saying, is Pac-Man tends to control the flow of the match, and Game & Watch has the right stuff to stop his main main tools.

http://youtu.be/Sfh3A2ndjzA
This match shows more of how Game & Watch can do so, and less of how you should play the match. (This Pac-Man didn't seem to be able to adapt to a lot of what I was doing or he just didn't know the MU, which is the only reason I won).

Overall it's even depending on the kind of players. I feel if the Pac-Man relies too heavily on Hydrant and Bonus Fruit setups (the majority I fight do, which is why I blatantly said "G&W wins this MU",) they'll lose, but otherwise it CAN be quite even.

Winning against G&W takes either intensive option covering (which isn't too difficult with Pac-Man given the Trampoline and Bell) or hard reads.

With the wide variety of setups Pac-Man does have, and given the little amount that are actually used by different players, it's tough to say whether or not they WILL use one. Afterall different people find different uses, and not everyone fights a large amount of one character to know given situations of each setup, which is what makes fighting Pac complex.

I'd generally say given all of that, G&W still wins. I mean official SSB4 MUs state G&W is even with D3 SIMPLY because he can deal with Gordos insanely easy, so I think I can be a little lenient with this one.

Last edited:

TheMiSP

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
MISP#673
NNID
Collin9476
3DS FC
1564-3898-1072
Switch FC
SW-1536-5988-9478
My opinion:

I don't know how to judge this either, since I too use Pacman and thus respect his toolkit.

From my point of view, this matchup seems like both characters are able to become unpredictable. Both sides are very capable of winning. Either side must "outpressure the other"

Though I myself have a question:

What can G&W do after the trampoline is thrown out? I know that jumping over to approach may not be the best idea.

TheUndeadReturns

Smash Cadet
NNID
House0fFastFood
What I do is just jump on it and immediately drift away, air dodging to bait any set ups they had. You can also RAR a b-air to poke them while using the Trampoline to avoid landing lag, and also to escape once you hit their shield . (Though it depends where they placed the trampoline).

Top Bottom