• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PAC-MAN Community General Guide Hydrant

busken

Smash Ace
In an attempt to know our tools better by sharing knowledge, I have decided to make this thread. In this thread, we will discuss a certain move week by week and how we can apply it in game play. Information of the move such as frame data, damage, hitbox duration, shield damage, end lag, zoning option, kill option, close range option, will all be encouraged. My only request is that when giving information, please be sure to be succinct as possible. Walls of text can be misleading, hard to understand, and overwhelming. Getting information from other sources are encouraged as long as they are valid. Lastly, be a champion of open-mindedness. Don't ever think that x won't work because of y. Don't label something as bad if you haven't even tried it. The ultimate goal of this is too gather specific information on each respective move to advance our gameplay and knowledge of PAC-MAN.

Aerials
F-air Analysis
Overall Rating: 3.4

Pac-Man’s front air attack does 5.3% is active from frames 5-8, can be auto-canceled, and has 16 frames of landing lag. On most of the cast at low percents, it can follow up into any aerial with the correct directional influence. Most reliable follow up option is neutral air, due to it’s frame data. Due to the lack of range and disjoints approach with Pac-Man’s front air attack is not a viable option. The safeness of Pac-Man’s Front air attack depends on the vertical hurtbox of the respective target, and initial dash speed. Against characters such as Zero Suit Samus, Shulk, and Rosalina and Luma, a properly retreated F-air is relatively safe. However, characters such as Diddy Kong, Jigglypuff, and Mario require you to be closer to extend to their hurtbox ultimately making it not as safe. Additionally, Characters such as Fox, Little Mac, and Sonic have the initial dash speed to punish your landing. To counteract this, fast falling into neutral air and dropping a hydrant are good options. Ultimately, due to the little cooldown and quick start up Pac-Man’s front air attack it is safe on shield while retreating. Alone in neutral, zoning with F-air is not a viable option as the hitbox does not last long enough to create pressure, and poses too much risk. However, Double Short Fair is good to catch a ledge get-up option. To maximize the potential of the this move, SH retreating and auto-canceling is mandatory.

N-air Analysis

Last edited:

COLINBG

Smash Journeyman
NNID
COLINBG
3DS FC
3067-5729-5039
I get where you want to go with this, but there's already a well written guide by ptrk83 on Pacman. He explains the moves and how they can be used. You can find it here.

This is what he says about Fair:

''Fair has little to no cool down and can be spammed easily. Great for spacing. Combos well with neutral air, up air and down air. Not great as an approach however because it does little damage and has very little knock back.''

I mean, it's pretty much it, Fair is a straightforward move.

Also, a week seems a little overkill for a single move.

However, I think some of its specials are worth discussing more in depth, such as the Hydrant, the Trampoline, and the Fruits, because there is A LOT to say about them.

Props for the idea, too.

Last edited:

Mtn64

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mtnn64
3DS FC
4742-5103-9358
Interested to see what you guys come up with.

Last edited:

COLINBG

Smash Journeyman
NNID
COLINBG
3DS FC
3067-5729-5039
Alright let's do this.

Fair does 5% damage, but does 6% on the fourth hit (so about 5,25% each, rounded up to 5,3%).
It comes out on frame 5, which is pretty quick. (source)
The knockback is negligible (kills Mario at 331% where the CPU spawns on FD, with no vectoring).
The range is okay, about 1 Pacman head (body?).

1. Rate the move 1-5:
I give it a 2,5 or 3 out of 5. It's not a bad move at all, but I don't think it's that great of a move either.

2. Discuss any combos that utilize this move:
It can lead to a lot of things, and a lot of things can lead into it, which is nice. Since it does so little knockback, you can follow up easily. Here are some possible things you can do (everything tested on Mario):
- Short Hop Fair into Fair (10%, works from 0% to very high %)
- Short Hop Fair into Nair (15% assuming every hit of the Nair connects, works from 0 to high %)
- Short Hop Fair into Bair (17%, works from 0% to 50% or so)
- Short Hop Fair into Uair (15%, works from 0% to very high %)

Choosing between the options depends on the percentage, but mostly on where you want to send the other player: Up for Uair (but it has a weird hitbox, and it's possible that he's sent flying backwards, especially at low percents), further horizontally for Fair, in place/slightly back for Bair (because it only works at low percents), and it varies for Nair (weird hitbox; either further horizontally like Fair, or back).

It can combo into Dair, and sends opponents up (if they are on the ground), which Uair can also do. Uair is easier to hit with, though. Maybe I'm just bad, but it doesn't seem to work with a short hop, and it looks like you have to do a full jump to connect the last hit of the Dair.

I'm also pretty sure none of these are true combos, but if someone could confirm this it would be great.

You can't really get a Fair combo started directly from throws, so you'll have to use it to juggle.

These combos also work in the air, and you generally want to follow up with other stuff. The move is not a combo finisher (Nair and Uair are), unless the opponent is close to the blast zone.

3. Is it a viable spacing option? Is it safe on shield?
It is a viable approach, because it comes out so fast (you can do it twice in one SH). No cool down means it's spammable, so I'd say yes. It's a safe move for spacing. It's quick, so it's safe on shield, too.

4. Discuss appropriate times to use the move?
To be honest, I don't use it much. When I do, it's mainly as a follow up in the air, or in a string. You can use it to push a recovering opponent away if that little extra knockback can kill him, but I prefer to Nair. It has a little more range than Nair, though, so it's less situational. I guess you can use it when you jump back on the stage from the ledge. Also, it can stage spike at very high percents (Bair is usually better for this, so it depends on the placement).

Looking at high level players like Abadango, they don't seem to use it that much either. So I'd say keep it in mind, but you usually have better things to do. I understand you (OP) want us to have some form of neutrality to keep an intelligent discussion going (i.e. not saying "don't use x because you can use y"). However, I feel like it is what we should do, so we can know what options work best. As long as we still give our thoughts on what the move we're discussing can do.

5. Share any techs/methods that can boost the potential of the move:
I don't know what else to say.

I do play Pacman a lot, but as I said, I rarely use this move, so some of this info might be slighlty incorrect, but that's why we're here in the first place.

Last edited:

Galaxian

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Galax1an
I think Fair's a good move. While it's not as good as say, Nair which comes out on frame 3, is good for gimping, etc., it's still a pretty good move for Pac. It's fast, hits nicely, and is a pretty good move.

I think you can chase off stage with it. Either way, it's nice in range. Better than Dair, at least.

SPoitter

Interior Crocodile Aligator
Here's my sentiments.

I rate this move 3.2/5

2.) Some strings are:
short hop - fair - footstool/double jump - nair
(when opponent is in the air) fair - double jump - fair ~ fair
hydrant - fair - footstool/double jump dair
and there are more @ COLINBG COLINBG listed so yeah.

3.) I wouldn't really call this a spacing option, it has mid range and is the weakest aerial in the game so they have really nothing to lose if they get hit by this, it increases your hitbox too due to it not being disjointed. It's one of Pac's greatest mixups however, it can mixup or begin pressure on your opponents shield, there's not much ending lag on it so you can usually double jump and use any special/aerial you want.

4.) Appropriate times to use this move are when you've laid a trampoline trap down, or when the opponent is baited into smashing the hydrant, it creates a complex thinking game where you and the opponent try to outwit each other in a short time, you don't have to think hard about what you're gonna do next because of how safe the move is in general. The reason why this isn't a very good approach option is that you get literally nothing off of it but just very weak knockback & a few % dealt. It's a good approach option in terms of safeness but it's just pointless in some situations.

5.) I don't know any so far.

Last edited:

COLINBG

Smash Journeyman
NNID
COLINBG
3DS FC
3067-5729-5039
you get literally nothing off of it but just very weak knockback & a few % dealt. It's a good approach option in terms of safeness but it's just pointless in some situations.
Yeah that's the thing. The move isn't bad because of its speed/lack of ending lag/correct range, so you probably won't get punished by going for it, but the benefits are close to nonexistent. It doesn't really get anything done, at least in most of the situations. It's simply too situational to really be used as much as his other aerials, and there's almost always something else more productive that you could be doing. Charging fruits, laying trampolines and droping hydrants are all more benificial in the long term for your zoning and spacing game.

Last edited:

Megamon

Smash Cadet
I use fair constantly to rack up early damage. I love how quick fair comes out and that it combos into itself. I use more sh fair to nair to jab if everything works out good.

dragontamer

Smash Ace
NNID
dragontamer5788
Fair is easy to overrate. It comes out quick and has very little cooldown.

However, you must keep the following in mind:
1. You can only Autocancel SH Fair if you immediately use it with a jump. I "plink" Fairs. (Erm, more accurately I buffer out a Fair on the jumping animation). Do NOT double-Fair if you want to land 100% safely.
2. Fair has a sizable period of landing lag, enough that without autocanceling the opponent is almost certain to win if he's at low %.

Fair is best used as a rising anti-air, stuffing your opponent's SH approach by aggressively beating him to the punch. However, as an air-to-ground tool, it is far harder to use effectively than you might think. Especially when opponents recognize the absolutely awful stun-time and begin to take advantage of landing lag.

1) Rate the move 1-5
4/5. It is central to my personal gameplan, but has quirks that make it a lot less safe than you'd think. You must master the quirks and gain the discipline to safely use the attack. You really can't just Hoo-Haahh like some other characters...

2) Discuss any combos that utilize this move
Around 40% to 60%, Fair->Fair and Fair->Nair seem to strike alot against airborne opponents. I don't know Fair->Nair is a "true" combo however.

Fair->Fair combos until 110% or so, which is excellent for setting up gimps. (Especially against Rob or Gannondorf)

3) Is it a viable spacing option? Is it safe on shield?
Against certain characters, yes.

The FSmash is to demonstrate just how far away you are from Rob if you properly retreat with Fair. Needless to say, you are very far outside the range of the majority of characters. You should stay outside of the range of jabs and throws, so that the landing-lag of Fair doesn't get you punished.

Some characters have the speed to close the distance, or a dash-attack that can cover that distance. Nonetheless, you can typically mess them up good by SH Fair -> FastFall Nair, or SH Fair->Hydrant if they rush in on your trap.

Otherwise, a single Fair forward / retreat is pretty damn safe against shields. The main issue is short-characters (Mario, Ness, Kirby), where you have to be much lower to the ground. For Rising Fair to strike them, you need to be closer, while you have more spacing options against tall characters like Rob and Rosalina.

4) Discuss appropriate times to use the move?
Winning Air battles.

Be careful on the ground, learn to use Fair 100% safely with strong retreats... and mixup how you retreat as well. FF Nairs, Cherry, Hydrant, double-jumps, etc. etc. all screw with your opponent. Crossups also mess up a lot of players, so take advantage of SH Fair -> Bair pressure.

Respect your disadvantage. Do NOT constantly land within your opponent's grab or jab range when you are using Fair. Respect your opponents tilts when doing SH Fair->Bair. You're in a punishable state for a moment, but good opponents will catch you 100% of the time in that moment of vulnerability.

5) Share any techs/methods that can boost the potential of the move.
Learn to space with SH Retreating Fairs. The gif above demonstrates the concept.

If you want to rush into your opponent, learn to SH Attack Fair and have the discipline to land safely in the auto-cancel window. Try to buffer the Fair on the jumping animation, and then never fast-fall (or use other attacks). You'll land in the auto-cancel window every time.

IASA frames are a "trap". The auto-cancel window is many many frames away from the IASA frames. Just because you can SH Fair->Fair doesn't mean that SH Fair->Land is actually within the autocancel window. Good players will punish your landing lag, even though Fair has very little of it.

SH Fair -> Autocancel Land -> Jab jab jab is okay, but opponents seem to grab me once they learn the timing of that. I can't think of a way to win without making the "first" commitment, but I do mixup SH Dair on occasion if my opponent begins to drop his shield.

Last edited:

Megamon

Smash Cadet
The good thing with Pac is that if you're playing him correctly, it is very difficult to read what he'll do next. You can sh fair -> retreat, then when he least expects it sh fair ->ac land -> jabx3 -> fruit(maybe?) for a kill. Idk I just thought of that in my head that it would be awesome to kill like that, but now that I think about it, they'd probably have to be at a high percentage, save for lighter characters like G&W, in order to kill with a fruit or key. The jab might put the opponent out of range, too. Damn, it sounds good, but I see where my faults are already.

The reason I say playing him correctly is because sometimes I'll play w/o using fruits to try and learn more about his other game.

Would it be possible to footstool someone after a fair?

Last edited by a moderator:

busken

Smash Ace
Thank you all for your contributions! I think we have gathered a wealth of information about F-air. I' will add an in-depth description about F-air to the OP and give credit respectively. If you have yet to contribute, please do! Anything helps!
It is possible, but very unlikely since the timing is very strict(common with footstools) and because the low hit stun allows them to retaliate quickly.

Last edited:

Jay-kun

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Apple first~<3
The good thing with Pac is that if you're playing him correctly, it is very difficult to read what he'll do next. You can sh fair -> retreat, then when he least expects it sh fair ->ac land -> jabx3 -> fruit(maybe?) for a kill. Idk I just thought of that in my head that it would be awesome to kill like that, but now that I think about it, they'd probably have to be at a high percentage, save for lighter characters like G&W, in order to kill with a fruit or key. The jab might put the opponent out of range, too. Damn, it sounds good, but I see where my faults are already.

The reason I say playing him correctly is because sometimes I'll play w/o using fruits to try and learn more about his other game.

Yes, also against characters with little KB like Little Mac, a nair to footstool offstage is a kill move. <--from experience

Last edited:

busken

Smash Ace
Alright, I updated the OP with the F-air analysis I tried to fit as much info as possible, but as time progresses I will edit it to become more info-packed and succinct.
PAC-MAN Community General Guide
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
-=-=-=N-air=-=-=-
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Things to be discussed:
1) Rate the move 1-5
2) Is this a good approach/anti approach option? Can it be a viable mix-up and followup tool?
3) Is it a viable zoning/spacing/edge guarding tool?
4) OOS option? Safe on shield? Best time to use it?
5) Any additional info

Thanks for the image @ptrk83

Last edited:

Jay-kun

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Apple first~<3
1) I rate the move a 2
2) This move is horrible for approach because of ending lag which can be easily shield grabbed. For mix-ups yes, for followups no. Ex. You d-tilt and followup with either fair (which can lead into combos), or nair. It should only be used in followups to kill.
3) It is not a viable zoning tool thanks to it's ending lag. I can see how it can be used against opponents who try to jump too much, maybe Jigglypuff. Spacing- again against opponents who are too y-trigger-happy. Edge guarding yes especially by running off edge than immediately using it, resulting in a stage-spike.
4) OOS option yes. Safe on shield no, it can not be used like a retreating fair.
5) That's a secret :P

COLINBG

Smash Journeyman
NNID
COLINBG
3DS FC
3067-5729-5039
This move is horrible for approach because of ending lag which can be easily shield grabbed.
Pretty much, as well as the poor range it offers. You should never be approaching with this.

Comes out frame 3, does 10%. It's a good get-off-me move to get back momentum and stop pressure in the air. Nice to edge guard with because it has decent knockback. Really good OoS. It's much more a defensive option than it is an attacking one, but it's a good move to finish combos.

I really like this move personally, so I'd give it a 4.

Last edited:

Galaxian

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Galax1an
Pac's Nair? It's like you're trying to talk to me.

1) Rate the move 1-5 : 3 or a 4.
2) Is this a good approach/anti approach option? Can it be a viable mix-up and followup tool?: Debatable at best. It's good for getting Pac out of tricky combo situations - it starts up frame 3 and has nice knockback.
3) Is it a viable zoning/spacing/edge guarding tool?: Oh absolutely. It's knockback is good enough for Pac to make space, at least in pressure. Edgeguarding too, it KOs easily if you let it.
4) OOS option? Safe on shield? Best time to use it? : Yes. It is probably Pac's best OoS option outside of Up-B. Safe on shield probably not, but you win some you lose some. Best time is if someone's in your face and you want them out, or you just want a safe OoS option. I dunno if it's safe or not, but I'll say it's not.
5) Any additional info: This move is a pretty good KO move off stage at high enough %.

dragontamer

Smash Ace
NNID
dragontamer5788
1. This is one of PacMan's best kill options. 4/5.
2. Outside of OOS, no. And no. However, it opens up holes in the opponent's combo strings. 3f Nair is the move to spam during your opponents combos (at least, while they don't know how to punish it).
3. No, no, no. Some characters (like Mario) have such awful range that they'll have to dash-grab PacMan's carefully placed Nair. But... yeah. No. Its pretty rare (ie: impossible) to zone out a character with Nair.
4. Good OOS option. Not safe on shield. Use it to KO your opponent, or early on to rack up 10% damage. When crossing up your opponent, you can Nair their shield, fast-fall and might be able to recover before they FTilt you.
5. 3-frame Nair with solid killing potential, what can I say? It ain't a Luigi Nair, but ours is probably better than Pikachu's.

Pacman's Nair is best used as a fast-fall to punish your opponent before they recover. Play like a bad Jigglypuff, and use your double-jump to weave into and out of your opponent's space. When they do something dumb (like USmash), fast-fall and Nair them.

Beyond that, I play a very patient PacMan, and often wait till 160%+ to KO my opponent. Nair is one of the most reliable options at very high percentages, especially if your opponent fails to respect your footsies. Nair is also central to early off-stage KOs. An off-stage sweetspot Nair can KO at 80% or 90%.

The very threat of Fair->Fair->doublejump->Fair->Nair causes opponents to air-dodge at obvious times. Its not a combo, but it is damn-threatening. Your opponent will only let you land it once, and from there on out, they'll respect your off-stage potential. Try it at around 85% offstage.

Last edited:

Galaxian

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Galax1an
I dunno, OoS Nair is okay for making space for Pac. Though maybe that's just me? It's also good for gimping off-stage.

Last edited:

Jay-kun

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Apple first~<3
1. This is one of PacMan's best kill options. 4/5.
2. Outside of OOS, no. And no. However, it opens up holes in the opponent's combo strings. 3f Nair is the move to spam during your opponents combos (at least, while they don't know how to punish it).
3. No, no, no. Some characters (like Mario) have such awful range that they'll have to dash-grab PacMan's carefully placed Nair. But... yeah. No. Its pretty rare (ie: impossible) to zone out a character with Nair.
4. Good OOS option. Not safe on shield. Use it to KO your opponent, or early on to rack up 10% damage. When crossing up your opponent, you can Nair their shield, fast-fall and might be able to recover before they FTilt you.
5. 3-frame Nair with solid killing potential, what can I say? It ain't a Luigi Nair, but ours is probably better than Pikachu's.

Pacman's Nair is best used as a fast-fall to punish your opponent before they recover. Play like a bad Jigglypuff, and use your double-jump to weave into and out of your opponent's space. When they do something dumb (like USmash), fast-fall and Nair them.

Beyond that, I play a very patient PacMan, and often wait till 160%+ to KO my opponent. Nair is one of the most reliable options at very high percentages, especially if your opponent fails to respect your footsies. Nair is also central to early off-stage KOs. A sweetspot Nair can KO at 80% or 90%.

The very threat of Fair->Fair->doublejump->Fair->Nair causes opponents to air-dodge at obvious times. Its not a combo, but it is damn-threatening. Your opponent will only let you land it once, and from there on out, they'll respect your off-stage potential. Try it at around 85% offstage.
also around 27~ percentish, for villager, u can go to the ledge grab, d throw, fair jab reset, then a fasfalled sweetspotted nair right after, while Pac is still in the air, which knocks them forward at a low angle, for another jab resetting fair and then nair again. by this stage of the move/skill thing your opponent will almost be at the ledge, so he does the stand up animation and u pivot grab then d throw again. then just do fair fair jab resets then fmash their get-up for a guranteed kill.

probably not viable agiasnt pros who can tech good but these comboes can maybe change our fake tier positions?

Last edited:

busken

Smash Ace
PAC-MAN Community General Guide
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
-=-=-=Hydrant=-=-=-
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Things to be discussed:
1) Rate the move 1-5
2) Is this a good approach/anti approach option? Can it be a viable mix-up and followup tool?
3) Is it a viable zoning/spacing/edge guarding tool?
4) Best time to use it?
5) Any additional info

Last edited:

COLINBG

Smash Journeyman
NNID
COLINBG
3DS FC
3067-5729-5039
Damn, I didn't expect this move yet, it's one of, if not the most important one :p This will be fun.
I'm sorry in advance, but I won't use the 5 points you asked us to discuss, because this move isn't really a normal attack, and there's just too much to talk about. I'll cover them all (probably), but not with 1->5 points. I won't talk about custom hydrants too, because that's why we have the customs thread, and everything would get too complicated imo.

:4pacman:--------:4pacman:
The hydrant has different damage/knockback depending on what you do with it.

It does 9% when dropped. Kills CPU Mario at 214% near the ledge of FD. Since it sends more upwards than to the side, it will kill at the same percent regardless of where you are on the stage.

It does 13% when launched. Kills CPU Mario at 134% near the ledge of FD.

You need to do 13% of damage to the hydrant to launch it.

Small trivia thing: If you do a Fsmash to launch it and it connects, it does 16% or 29%. The 16% hit is when the Smash hits, but the hydrant doesn't. Since a smash kills earlier than a launched hydrant, this will kill earlier than the 29% percent hit. If you connect the smash and THEN the hydrant hits, it does 29%, (16% smash, 13% hydrant) but the knockback will be the launched hydrant one, so it'll kill later. Landing the 29% hit relies a lot on how you spaced everything, so it's harder to do. You have to put the hydrant the closest you can to the opponent without dropping it on him, then jump down and position yourself the closest you can to the hydrant and smash. I guess it works that way with other moves too, but the smash is powerful and sends the hydrant flying directly, which is nice. All this to say: if you have the option to place a hydrant close then do a smash, after a shield break when the opponent is not at kill percent for example, going for the 29% hydrant launch might be your most solid option out of everything Pac can do.

The attack you use to launch it doesn't affect its damage or knockback, but it does affect its trajectory. This thread explains it all, so it's a good read for any serious Pac player.
The hydrant can do about anything, so it's an amazing move. It can Damage, Protect, Space, Zone, Set-up, and Kill.

1. Damage:
It does 13%. That's not bad at all. The shield damage is heavy, so shielding too many hydrants or shielding when you already took shield damage can be risky to do. I'm not sure if there are any true combos that end or start with an hydrant.

2. Protect:
Since it spawns under you and drops, it can prevent gimps and Uairs. The hitbox it creates helps to make a safer landing. You can also stall a little in the air because Pac freezes when he summons it, and that's a good thing. If the other player tries to Uair you and get hit near the top by the hydrant, it can lead to some early (and salty) kills.

3. Space:
A launched hydrant is a fairly big/fast projectile, with a trajectory that can vary, and it does 13%. This means it's harder for the opponent to dodge it, it's more risky to shield it than other projectiles, and it forces them to react to it. This is probably the best move to space in the game. Also, if the opponent is far, launching an hydrant can either keep them far, or help you approach, depending on what you want to do.

4. Zone:
A static hydrant is just as good as a flying one. Like Villager's tree or the trampoline, it creates a wall at any place you want on the stage, and it can make ground approaches more difficult. Be careful, the opponent can simply use it against you by launching it, so using it together with the trampoline to secure it is a good idea. The water can push both players in different directions to give you time to breathe. Also, I see a lot of players rushing to launch the hydrant as soon as it's out (both Pac and the opponent), but this is not always the best idea. You can get punished hard for that. Overall it's a solid wall if you want to control/secure a portion of the stage, but know when to use it.

5. Set-up:
You can set-up in two ways. You can either drop/launch it, let the opponent dodge, and punish the dodge. You can also use the water to charge and land a smash, or throw a fruit (mostly the Bell or the Key) in an unsuspected direction for the kill/punish.

6. Kill:
Pretty self explanatory. Having trouble to kill is one of Pac's weaknesses, and this is one of our kill moves. Launching it and dropping it to someone offstage will be the primary ways you use to kill. Since it throw out water, it's similar to Greninja's Hydro Pump, Mario's Fludd, and Villager's Watering Can. You can get some KOs with the water if you can catch an UpB. That's about the saltier you can get with the hydrant. Oh and you can edge guard with it too.

Other random things I wanted to talk about:

1. There's a lot of options when it comes to launching the hydrant (to change its trajectory), but the one you'll be using the most is sweetspot Bair, simply because it's the fastest. Drop to Fsmash works well too, but it's a little longer. They both send the hydrant to the same place, the smash is just easier to do but has more lag. Alternatively, you can send it flying with a key.It has great kill/shieldbreaking power, so it forces the opponent to react, but handling both projectiles can be a bit tricky. You lose the key and have to charge it again though, so try not to do that too much.

2. Don't drop the hydrant carelessly! If you wanted to launch it immediately but can't because of something (opponent close, too slow, etc), the water makes it a little harder, awkward and long to get back to it to launch it. When it's out, you can't drop another one for several seconds until it disappears or until someone launches it, and you might find yourself without it when you need it more. Also, the opponent can launch it against you or use it to their advantage (to help their zoning or charge something). It's not the end of thw world, but it's still best to use it intelligently and not spam it when it doesn't bring you anything.

3. I said most of what I wanted to say/can think about/have the patience to write here. There's still plenty to talk about though.

Last edited:

dragontamer

Smash Ace
NNID
dragontamer5788
Hydrant?

Uggghhhhh. That's definitely one of the hardest moves to write about. Hydrant combos with Pac-Man's entire moveset... including obscure uses like Apple recatch, Melon double-drop, (Standard) Bell "return trap" and (Freaky) Strawberry "return trap".

And that's just a couple of fruit options! Its easily our most flexible move, and completely defines PacMan as a character. More so than fruit IMO. Maybe I'll get some thoughts in later, but Hydrant is a very complicated subject.

Last edited:

busken

Smash Ace
To be honest, I just did Hydrant because I couldn't find a good pic of back air. I will probably do hydrant again in another week since it's so centralizing to Pac-Man's gameplay.

Top Bottom