• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

P:M and Melee player here

Marss_43

Smash Rookie
Hello. I'm Marss, from Italy.
I'll be providing a somewhat lengthy description of my smash... career if anybody is interested.
Later I'll shortly talk about two things I have "discovered" I think are nice to know if the world community doesn't know them yet. This summarizes my purpose here, to inquire the mechanics of both Melee and P:M (even though I get to play or to spend some time on Smash very seldom lately).

Aside a short, very very cool, parenthesis in the northern side of my country, I've always been very isolated from competitive scenery.
Anyway, been playing Smash since 2011 I believe?

Back in Brawl, where I started, I would have practiced a lot on ground floating as Peach.
This has naturally led me to lean on Peach and Mewtwo once I switched to P:M.
Eventually, despite the solid bases I have of Peach, I don't consider her to be one of my main. Instead, I've suddenly fallen in love with Mewtwo (he's my favorite pokemon too) and still nowadays I base my play-style on ground hovering.

In my already mentioned residency in the north I have found amazing people playing Melee. I had never played it but been watching competitive Melee since the rise of M2K :) good times.
Without my custom key settings or a hovering Mewtwo or even my comfy slim CC (yeah, I may be the only one person finding it handier than the GC controller) I think I used to perform relatively poor at locals.

So that's been a period in which I had to come up with new other characters, and since then I've been improving my Marth and Sheik in order to be able to play Melee without issues. Today I feel my Marth and my Sheik are just as smooth as Mewtwo and I consider them mains too.

Alright, my story's over. Now I want to mention two things that I think are interesting:

1) Ground hovering as Mewtwo. Last time I checked P:M matches it was a couple of years ago and saw a little bit of Emukiller and M2K as Mewtwo (before the patch that nerfed him) and I've always been impressed to them not implementing ground hovering at least for combos (I even use it in the neutral game but I guess it's risky after the patch).
Unluckily all I may offer to you to showcase the effectiveness of said technique is some battle against a level 9 cpu as Fox because I don't think my bro's DI is any better. But either ways it should be enough to get an idea of what I'm talking about. Talking about true combos, in which the opponent remains stunned for the entire duration of it.

2) That's some fancy math over her I did about 5 years ago. I'll try to remember it now:
I found an objective, precise, purely numerical way to measure the knockback of every move (more precisely of every hit) with respect to opponent's damage, and secondarily with respect to opponent's character and to that repetition thing).
The first application of storing data according to my considerations is the capability to determine whether some move is gonna kill you at some given percentage or not. But I imagine it having tons of applications.
Anyways, very shortly, turned out, very interestingly that knockback's formula was always a linear correlation to damage, that is a straight line in a damage-knockback plot.
So all you need to know about a move of knockback y and damage x is m and q in the equation y=mx+q.
I'd be glad to be clearer about this but I'm afraid it's already common knowledge, in which case I won't ever bother wasting time on those old papers of mine.

lemme know.

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Welcome to

Click here to find out if there's a scene in your area.

Check out Premium for added features and fun.

Click here for the Forum Directory.

For online matches try one of the following links:
Check out the respective character boards for helpful tips.
Character guides can be found here.

Before you post please check out the Global Rules.

Keep up to date with the latest news here.
Light House is for general gaming discussions.
Check out the Pool Room to talk about Smash, life, sports, or whatever is on your mind.
Click here or here to socialize and have fun.

Check out the new Smash Connect forums for user based services including artwork and customization services.

If you need any assistance, don't hesitate to ask one of our friendly staff members. If you have site related questions, you can post them in this thread.

Props: Made by @WolfieXVII @Trieste SP @ Cyn Cyn and @Hong

:starman: Name changes :starman: Bigger avatar and signature :starman:
:starman: Post backgrounds
:starman:
:starman: Enjoy Premium-exclusive forum and giveaways :starman:
:starman: Support the Smash community and sign up today! :starman:

Top Bottom