• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

overshield

andyboi92

Smash Rookie
i know we have seen many people use the shield, but what about over-shielding(shielding TOO much during a battle). Many people often beat me cause they shield and block EVERY hit and then claim that the only block air attacks. It's like i can't even touch them cause of the amount of shielding. Is there anyway to stop people who overshield?

fallenangemon0

Smash Journeyman
Well you could try getting better at the game over all. I'm sure that would work XD

But seriously you need to learn to throw people off by starting combos with grabs, and learn what moves wear down shields the most.

If you need some practice just PM me.

Oh and there is nothing wrong with shielding. If it keeps you from being sent flying then you should do it at all costs. Remember that shields don't block grabs, and they don't last forever.

Legend Blade

Smash Cadet
Here's my ideas:

1. Try hiting/countering them when they come after you, if they are launching an attack I don't think they can sheild.

2. Certain items are good at breaking your foe's shield. The fan is best, but the rapid firing ray gun or super scope may help.

3. I think grabbing goes past shields, while they are in mid-air, try hitting them.

Seventh Sword

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1951-0055-5151
Try to predict when they're going to shield and attempt to grab them. Alternatively, you could try catching them off guard by changing your play style (using more moves, to avoid being too predictable) or faking attacks. Take advantage of lag. If they play defensive, more than likely they're going to look for an opportunity to counter your moves - if you don't make any, they'll be forced to take the initiative instead, and you can play them at their own game. Oh, and mindrape (YOU'RE TOO SLOW! YOU'RE TOO SLOW!) can frustrate opponents and make them make a mistake....sometimes. Ugh, I hate being a newbie -_-;;

SFJake

Smash Apprentice
Meh, shield a lot? Grab. Learn chain grabbing with certain characters too. So you can punish the crap out of him :)

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
either
A: Play Those little guys in your avy and GRAB THEM TO THEIR DOOM
or
B: Main Marth and use the Nuertal B every time they shield.
*CRACK*
ooohghoooghooogh
*fully Charged Tippered FSmash*
*Boom*

Wolfang

Smash Journeyman
Break their shield from far away, break it up close...GRAB. Anyone of the three, but honestly, that's the first thing that you should think of when somebody "overshields." Then throw them in the air to make sure they cant do it again obviously.

really_calm

Smash Journeyman
Grab or space so that they your attack will be out of range of their shield grab if you hit them

Characters like metaknight and GW have attacks that can literally eat through shields if that's all they do

Corigames

Smash Hero
In melee, if someone was shielding a lot, I'd just bomb the crap out of it and force them to lower it, run away, or let it break. Any of those situations lead to me getting a hit on them. As for Brawl, I'm not as sure considering the greatest use of skill this game has is shield grabbing. So, perhaps, you should just grab them first.

BDAOutlaw

Smash Apprentice
Ok heres one of the tactics I use when I fight a shield spammer. Not only do I grab, but I foot stool jump off of them when their shielding.

Its very easy when using X or Y and its a nice tactic to add to your book of tricks when fighting opponents that do this. Do it till they let go of the shield but watch out for spot dodges.

Top Bottom