• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Overcoming the pesimism, the psychological effect of maining Samus.

JAZZ_

The Armored Artist
NNID
childofgalifrey
Hey guys, Jazz here, and after the few months of studying my Chozo craft, honing my skills and communicating with you all I've found myself in a strange place.
I just finished reading the Samus frame data "thread" in its entirety, and after dealing with people (one who shall not be named) in the update 1.10 thread i tend to get down heartened that people like to laugh at our (well juatified) frustration. It's unfortunate enough I get salt from players in FG telling me to /uninstall and the like, but even in our own bubble topic community disturbances in the force occur.

It's hard enough learning to get better at smash and fighting the pesimism of losing, but to get flak on my choice of character or read people intentional create friction adds to it.

How do you guys fight this negativity? Is there a support group? Any suggestions would be helpful. Trying to avoid going back on depression meds just because my choice in"video game character " sent me over the edge.

PS. If you have anything mean to post please keep it to yourself. Trying to nurture whatever positive vibes I have left.

Hapajin

Smash Apprentice
Watching the KayJay and Afrosmash highlight videos always seems to lift my spirits

Last edited:

MOI-ARI

Smash Ace
NNID
TAISH0U
3DS FC
3523-2502-7558
Simply keep at it. Practice. Not much more to it. Practice, you get better, fight anyone, everyone and lose, but learn. Then eventually win with what you have learned and seen.

Don't let words get in the way of enjoying something you bought please.And for those who win and **** on you or whatever, are simply just children who take silly things alittle too serious.
Play as the characters you love thats what smash pretty much is. Can't win them all but always try to get better, and at least more stylish** lol. Y'know have fun dewd. Dont take 'those' people so seriously. The **** do they know about your main? And to what is just and enjoyable, TO YOU? ^^

When one loses to a high teir or loses repeatedly as Samus don't kick yourself too hard. Take a break and come back fresh later. Its easy to look at loses but try hard to look for what you did right, and well. Sorry for grammer

Last edited:

Grambles

Smash Cadet
Don't let any ounce of your self-worth be tied to a video game, for starters. Anyone who'll put down a stranger on the internet is not in a good emotional state either. Especially some one who is going to insult you for your taste in characters in a cartoon fighting game.

We all chose to main and stick with Samus because we either really like the character, or the playstyle. She is hard to use, and every match-up requires a lot of thought. That's the best part. There is no sweeter feeling in this game than winning/dominating with a low-tier that you love. A lot of people are also going to give you lots of flack because they just lost, or almost lost, to the "wurst charcter in tha game".

Take the salt as a compliment, and ignore the haters. Don't let any of that hate-salt get on ya.

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
I go online and try to kick the tar out of every last Shiek, Mario, Rosalina and any other "high tiers" I come accross.
The negativity is rampant, but if you'll notice, I don't actually buy into it. No one is really a master yet, not even the full time tournament crowd can lay claim to mastery of
any character's metagame. A lot of it is still dabbling, 50 characters and counting is an insane number of combinations. If you've played 5000 matches you've only fought a given
character on average 100 times. At an average 2 min a match, that's 3 hours vs. any given character. That's why there's no consensus in the matchup thread, there's a "feel for it"
but no one really knows. It will take years before that consensus is reached.
Don't listen to tier list discussions, over the lifespan of a fighting game even without patches those lists often shift enormously.

The design flaws are real, cause me to curse every time I sit down to play, but they will not stop me from trying to perfect my game. With any luck, we get some fixes for the more glaring issues.
These are games, you should not be depressed about them, ever.

There's enormous style to Samus, the character is very deep, that's why I enjoy the character.

ZombieBran

Smash Lord
I drag Samus all the time (because us Zeldas are terrible people) but I don't look down on Samus mains for their choice of character.
Cause, like, my main is not much better lawl.

Last edited:

JAZZ_

The Armored Artist
NNID
childofgalifrey
Don't let any ounce of your self-worth be tied to a video game, for starters.
Maybe I should have mentioned that was comment about depression was a joke.

White_Pointer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
wh1tepointer
It's all the more satisfying to win games knowing you're playing the weaker character.

It's especially satisfying when you beat someone, next game they switch to a hard counter (pretty much any fast character or character with a reflector) and you still beat them...then they ragequit...haha.

Last edited:

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
When it comes down to it,

You have consciously made the decision to main :4samus:. Samus is awesome. But at this point it's common knowledge that she is pretty lackluster in this game. For you to thrive in a competitive setting, you have to rely on the opponent not knowing what to do against you and/or serious outplay the opponent. To save yourself the stress, absolutely must come to terms with this in you intend to be serious with her. To deny this, is to only cause yourself stress that is not needed. The cool part is what when you win with a character of this caliber, you look pretty damn good. And you should, because Samus is riddled with fundamental flaws. She isn't useless at all however. She has tools just like everyone else. You have to be creative, patient and understand that if you play her, you will likely lose to many people who are not as good as you but are playing a superior character. Despite that, if you really enjoy her: play her. If you feel as if you need a secondary: no shame in that. The important part is keep is relaxed and just know what your situation is.

Most people who choose this path will undoubtedly get angry from time to time.That's natural. The key is to be realistic and stay positive. There are promiment Samus' that look superhuman as they compete with top players using top characters (Johnny Westside impressing the hell out of me). That is attainable for everyone if they allow themselves the chance. And if you decide you need a Sheik or something to help you; so be it.

People overthink the most simple things about this game. Play. Learn. Enjoy. Everything else is psychological noise that prevents you from being to see everything in front of you. I play my best when my mind is clear and I'm only worried about what is on the screen.

Last edited:

Xygonn

Smash Ace
NNID
xygonn
Right now I just treat each match like a boss fight. Figure out the patterns, space well, punish, win. It's actually very satisfying. I have started getting better results with other characters than before, but Samus is still my best. I love how much rage I can induce by winning with her, which drives me to get even better. To sweet spot that stupid usmash, to take advatage of characters falling out of fair by dragging them down off stage, to gimp with the back hit of nair. Yeah, there is some stuff that should be fixed with Samus. Yeah I can rage about people falling out of upb and usmash and uair and fair. At the end of the day though, I get some great combos. I crush a noob with SHAD that keeps trying to predict a roll that I never use. I know that we are out there making people believe Samus isn't just scrubby CS and roll spam. Also, every time I get a dirty bomb, I can't imagine switching characters. Just watch it again and again:

Last edited:

Grambles

Smash Cadet
Maybe I should have mentioned that was comment about depression was a joke.
Haha, sorry! My sarcasm detector is faulty on the internet.

I'm sure we all know at least one person in real life who takes gaming way too seriously. Still a good reminder

S.P.A.D.

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Lavama
Well, it depends entirely on you. I can understand where you come from, as it seems to me that the absolute basic thought of Samus is that unless the game is Melee related she's one of, if not the worse in the game. I've always sorta acknowledged Samus was far from the best in 64 and Brawl (64 I got lucky with how I determined how characters were, using how easy it was to clear Hard with them and thus mentally claimed Kirby pretty darn good), and as such other people spouting that poison has never really bothered me. I find that finding something you enjoy about the character, and pushing with that mentality often helps. Personally I started on Samus because the robot had a gun for an arm. That alone was enough to push her past Fox when all I knew with Nintendo was everything (Even Earthbound somehow) but Metroid. Then I played the games and got caught up on the lore pre-2010. (Because there are certain things that are poisonous to us all.)

Now as a character, on paper she's scary, and rightfully so. She's got a kill move that she can hang onto for a long time with how floaty of a heavy she is, and it's not her only kill option. She has two insane aerial moves (U-Air and Z-Air) that have next to no end lag, and even has a touch of death combo that doesn't seem to of been patched out yet. Her shield game is also almost on par with Smash 64 from the looks of how her moves deal shield damage, which is a great pressure point on quite a few characters. In practice she's got a good bit going against her, and that seems to be all anyone can ever focus on. I feel it's up to you JAZZ as a Samus player to basically kick that junk to the curb and wreck face anyways, because that's what Samus does, damn it all!

tl;dr: I wasted a post rambling on and probably not making any sense.

Morbi

Scavenger
I agree with several of the points raised in this thread. If you are able to construe that pesimism as optimism, the psychological effect of maining Samus is the opposite of detrimental. Just be a prideful low-tier warriror, your victories are worth more and your losses are worth less. However, having a secondary at your disposal is certainly recommended. If you become impatient or struggle in certain match-ups, it is ideal to have a back up plan.

Honestly, I used to main Falco for the euphoric pleasure associated with low-tier victories. But then the useless buff came and people stopped sleeping on him. So I was using one of the worst characters, but I was not given nearly as much respect for it. That is why I decided to switch to Samus. Everyone thinks she is the worst in the game! Ha ha. Honestly, I am not sure if I agree. They just see things that other characters take for granted and assume that she is not viable. For instance, the second hit of jab not connecting or the inactive hitbox on the beginning of her dash attack. But she does not NEED these tools to perform well. At least that is what I believe. I need to practice more as I only recently decided to commit to Samus.

Top Bottom