• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Overcoming Long Plateaus

Comraderose

Smash Rookie
Some back story
Been playing 3-4 years on a semi regular schedule. Tournaments/netplay ect. Mained Marth since day 1 and went balls deep into exclusively learning the character. I don't even play secondaries in friendlies(Oh yeah I'm a lot of fun to play with)
Basically the past 6 months or so my progress has been staggering. You can destroy a bunch of newer players on netplay and feel alright but that 1 godly player destroys you and you realize all your bad habits arnt really going away they just work against newer players. This brings me to how we learn the game on a fundamental level. If since I've been playing the only way of seeing it was through Marths eyes then at some point when do you think it's damaging to not learn a secondary?
I definitely see why sticking to one character when you are truly new and learning tech and getting to a competitive level is better but at what point do you think it limits you?
I've gone to the extremes of recording and analyzing matches, playing better and worse opponents, drilling tech skills for hours, playing under the influence of psychedelics lol just to try to get better.
I'm sure a lot of players have had this same issue when trying to improve. Just looking for some advice on getting over that skill plateau that many players of my experience get stuck at.
TLDR
When hitting a skill plateau has picking up a secondary helped you overcome it? if not what did you try that I haven't mentioned

iAmMatt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mattgw420
Instead of destroying netplay noobs, spend that time playing against people who are better than you. You'll learn to recognize your bad habits when better players begin to exploit them.

tsmfoxmaster

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
FGOD#520
My advice to you is play way better players on Netplay play ranked more often destroying noobs is fun but to get better quickly. Play better players they adapt to your bad habits and punish you hard or kill you.

tsmfoxmaster

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
FGOD#520
What about secondaries?
Solo maining is the best to get better if you practice secondary's your not going to get good faster. Main one character and get good with that character then after a year or 2 have a secondary.

pagedMov

Smash Apprentice
NNID
pagedMov
I hit a massive skill plateau two years ago and it basically made me quit playing Melee right up until now. The way that I overcame it was by changing what game I played competitively, even though it probably wasn't the smartest or most mature decision, I was just tired of losing to the same people and not improving at all so I stopped playing Melee altogether for two straight years. In the meantime I switched to playing Team Fortress 2 and Quake Live competitively, and that gave me an insane amount of perspective on what I was doing wrong. Playing games like Quake or TF2 that are so reliant on positioning and strategy really gave me a lot of ideas on how I could apply that to Melee, and I ended up becoming much better for the experience. Not really saying that you should go invest several hundred hours into a completely different game, I'm just trying to say that perspective is everything, and that viewing things from different angles will give you incredible insight on how you can improve as a player.

Top Bottom